Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 28th November 2016, 15:53

ChrisS is on a distinguished road
Default Swirl pot vs baffle foam in tank

Doing some planning on engine bay layout and was looking at various threads on swirl pot and pump location when I picked up on the comment that some builders hadn't needed them because tank was baffled.
Mine isn't, but has anyone tried the baffle foam from Merlin Motorsports? Comes in chunks of a size you can feed in through filler hole. If it was on eBay I wouldn't have given it a second look, but these guys tend to know what they are about. Was think of trying it with a dip tube sender and single pump to save room in engine bay. Saving from swirl pot and second pump will cover foam and sender costs.
Note this will not be a track day car, road use only. Not interested in the really fast stuff since my stroke. If I was I would still have my nice red Ducati getting in the way of my build.
Thoughts?
Available from eBay
Old 28th November 2016, 16:15

molleur is on a distinguished road

The foam will degrade over time and require replacement after a couple of years. My vote is the swirl pot & extra pump.
Old 28th November 2016, 20:39

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

Personally one of the mods I will be doing is getting rid of the low pressure fuel pump and swirl pot. I hate having the pot in the engine bay. And the noise of the lp pump does my head in. Either I will modify the fuel tank and add baffles and a sump, look at using the foam or a different type of in tank pump with internal swirlpot
Old 28th November 2016, 23:11

Cutting the tank and installing baffles (if you can). Would be the best solution.
Old 29th November 2016, 12:41

Am taking tank into local guy next week to get price for him to fit baffles. Welding fuel tanks is beyond my basic welding skill.
Old 29th November 2016, 13:18
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

The Sportster tank was never baffled as far as I know.
Adding a swirl pot is a pita and adds a lot to the complexity (I should know...).
Best option is what Patrick did. You have a small hole in the bottom of the tank at its lowest point. Under that you make a small sump like feature (I think Patrick used a cone shape) which feeds the fuel pump. The small hole in the bottom of the tank allows the fuel into the sump - but not back the other way (unless you drive upside down...). No need to cut into and baffle the tank so much, much simpler.

Cheers, Robin
Old 29th November 2016, 15:11

MartinClan seems to have the best compromise. A sump addition will work a treat if you have room for it.
Old 30th November 2016, 07:43

Yes agree sumo sounds neatest, will discuss with guy when I take tank in next week. Need to check room as I have the e39 rear subframe.
Old 30th November 2016, 20:54
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Go for a sump, and avoid two pumps. Make sure it is big enough not to be emptied by your pump delivery capacity on a long bend with low fuel.

I designed mine to hold a couple of litres, and hide behind the diff for protection ........

Old 1st December 2016, 09:04

Thanks for the pics. Sump looks by far the best solution.
Old 1st December 2016, 10:52
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Simon Gregory's design is probably easier to copy!

I would suggest it is still worth considering a couple of baffles in your tank even with a sump - just to prevent around 25kg of fuel (half a tank) sloshing from side to side when driving quickly through bends.

A good fabricator could quickly cut two thin slits into the top of the tank, drop in a pair of thin aluminium baffle plates with holes in to divide the tank into three compartments, tack weld them to the bottom, and them weld up the top slits. This should not take too much time?
Old 2nd December 2016, 22:57
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Here's the sump I had added to mine, oddly my tank came with baffles depsite them saying it didn't. The combo of the sump and the baffle work fine for road driving.

Old 3rd December 2016, 06:58

Thanks all. Will be going into fabricator next week, sump and baffles coming up.
One more question, what sort of size for feed hole into sump from tank?
Old 5th December 2016, 19:21
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I don't recall the exact size, but it doesn't need to be massive so long as the fuel can't easily slosh out again in a corner.
Old 9th December 2016, 14:16

Dropped tank off at local guy this morning, Rawles Classic Cars, and they are going to fit two baffles and a sump underneath the tank. Reckon I can get about 1.5L capacity and still keep it protected by the diff.
Won't be done until new year but no rush, really just needed to make the decision and agree the work so I could plan the other bits.
Old 31st October 2017, 16:34

It’s been a long time but finally picked up reworked fuel tank this afternoon. A sump has been added to the bottom of the tank and two baffles put inside it. This should remove the need for swirl pot and second fuel pump in the engine bay. So a simpler install, more room in engine bay and all for about the same cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A106E4B1-A000-4AC4-AED6-2AC2C9406DF1.jpg (16.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg A51BD337-7C21-4DF7-91EF-4F82EC7870E7.jpg (17.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg F1BBF990-BC16-433E-B01D-42E40E712253.jpg (17.2 KB, 13 views)