Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 23rd October 2014, 21:15

garyh is on a distinguished road

when you make the end panels, are you making them to the inside edge of the humps?
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:28

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - Yes, the cardboard currently represents the finished surface, which will be a layer of filler.

So the fibreglass "off cuts" will be 'glassed into place inside the hump, with filler added to give a smooth finish , level with the edges.

I only had a brief look today, but this is going to be a bid harder to do than it sounds.

So I may look at fixing some mesh inside the hump and then using the chopped matting / resin mix I used to "bulk out" the scuttle as an alternative.

As you can tell, I am making this up as I go along.

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 23rd October 2014 at 21:43..
Old 25th October 2014, 17:23

My Humps... My Humps... My Lovely Hillbilly Humps...
Too wet to get anything done yesterday & I didn't win the £150m lottery jackpot either.

Thankfully I made a bit of progress today...

I applied some Kurust to the brackets on the inside of both sections of the passenger hump.

As the time the hump filled with water due to a leaking tarpaulin didn't help much.

The good news is you can see how well the fibreglass filler stuffed inside the edges of the hump worked.

So I am pretty confident that the passenger hump is not going anywhere.

Later in the day, when that had set I covered the insides with a coat of stone guard.

Looking at that last photo on my computer screen, it does appears that I may have missed at bit.

I did use some masking tape along the edge i was going to apply fibreglass to.

In the meantime, I worked on the driver's side hump "face" panels, starting with the lid.

I trimmed my cardboard template so it matched the inside profile of the hump.

Then I marked it these up on the fibreglass piece I'd removed from the bonnet grille opening.

Although as soon as I did, I remembered I want the rough face, not the gel coat, facing outwards.

So I turned it over and started again.

I then ground off the excess bonding paste and took these deliberately oversized panels...

And tested / marked / trimmed / repeat until I got a best fit & held them in position with some tape.

I then repeated the process for the passenger side.

By the time the stone guard was dry, I was ready to add some matting along the edges, avoiding the tape.

End of Part 1...
Old 25th October 2014, 17:26

My Humps - Part 2:
I needed to make a filler piece for the driver's side lid and used a bit of yoga mat.

When the first round of fibreglass had set, I removed the tape and did round 2.

I allowed some bits of matting to stick out beyond the edges, as I will trim them back later.

Body Shell - Driver's Side

Body Shell - Passenger Side

Boot Lid - Driver's Side

Boot Lid - Passenger Side

Unfortunately, by the time I'd finished the second round of fibre glassing, the sky looked like this.

So I tidied everything away and tucked the lid underneath the body shell like so.

By the time all the covers were on and the driveway was cleaned, the sun came back out.

But I'm happy with what I managed to get done today.

Next Steps:
- Add a layer of chopped matting and resin to give the basic shape.
- Add a layer of body filler to provide the smooth finished surface.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:16

Inching Along...
Today I tidied up the stray bits of matting that extended beyond the edges of the humps after Saturday's work.

I also pulled out the foam mould from the driver's side boot lid hump.

You can also see that the "tidying up", actually left a gap along one edge.

But that is nothing that a bit of filler can't sort out and at least all the hump face panels were set very solid.

I also ground out along the bottom edge of the boot opening.

This was where I needed to add plastercine to patch the area I had accidentally cut through.

A quick test fit highlighted a few areas that needed another trim to ensure a good fit.

I made up two more batches of "home brew" fibreglass filler using my bag of matting scraps and old resin.

This was batch #1.

Batch #2 completed the body shell humps.

There was also a little bit left over to cover the bottom edges of the lid humps too.

There was a short break while I went out with my daughters (half term starts today) to get some pumpkins.

We will probably be carving them on Thursday.

Anyway, the filler was set nicely by the time I had the chance to get back to the car.

A quick rub down with my angle grinder gave me a great surface for the body filler to stick to.

And after that was was applied...

I also added some filler to smooth the transition from the area between the humps into the rain channel.

There was just enough left over to skim the gap in the lid hump.

After the first round of sanding, just to get a very rough shape, the humps were looking like this.

I know there is still a long way to go, but it does look like this will work well when finished.

Despite it being a lovely day, I have too many other chores to do, so that is it for now.

PS
I measured the length of the rain channel lip, so I could order the same sealing strip as Swifty.
http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/edge-seal

I've also ordered some locking bonnet pins to hold the lid in place.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUSH-MOUN...item5d4e15dd89

These are the same as the ones I already have for the bonnet.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:56

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Paul don't mean to be a downer Donny but how are you going to hinge this? from the humps? if so how are you going to get access to the inside to fix them or bond in some strengthening plates?
Other than that its coming along nicely mate

Mac
Old 27th October 2014, 18:40

Mac - Don't worry, making boot hinges work was beyond my ability.

In reality I am "simply" making a big access panel, rather than a traditional boot lid.

There will be 4 bonnet pins to hold the "lid" in place.

I've also bought a boot handle to help me lift the lid off.

Hopefully it will work something like Tribute's Kobra...

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 28th October 2014 at 06:48..
Old 28th October 2014, 07:30

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Hey Paul, that is starting to look good, I must be honest and say I did have my doubts, as it looked so complicated at the beginning, but it is up and working!
That link you gave out may well be useful for me, as the channel rubber looks like just what I will need too.
Keep going!
Old 28th October 2014, 17:02

Scottie - The boot lid was another "leap of faith" job, where I didn't know if I could do it when I started.
But as more filler goes on (see below), I am very pleased with how it is actually turning out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Slow, but positive, progress...
After two days of looking (on & off) I finally found the silicon spreader I ordered a while back and then put "somewhere safe".

Mac was singing the praises of his baker's tool when doing his body work & this was the closest thing I could find.

I started the day sanding and tidying up the edges of the body opening and one "inside" surface of the rain channel.

This was one of those jobs that was time consuming for only a marginal improvement, but that is what I needed.

Then I used my new spreader on the body filler I added to body shell humps and it gave a pretty smooth finish.

The lip humps don't look at good as I was desperately trying to use up the last of the filler mix before it set.

My driveway is North facing, so staying pretty cold in the winter, so I'd added a healthy amount of hardener to the filler.

Next I used some "normal" fibreglass filler along the bottom edge of the boot rain channel.
( Where the plastercine repair had been. )

I then used was was left over on another section of the rain channel to improve the strength / finish.

That was the end of "Round 1".

It was the afternoon, before I got another chance to mix up some more filler and start Round 2...

But first of all, I countersunk all the holes in the body shell where the fixing brackets had been.

Then i used fibreglass filler along all the remaining inside edges of the rain channel.

So there is now a smooth flow from the body shell into the rain channel.

Notes:
- I will add filler to the bottom of the rain channel when the body shell is back on the frame.
( As I want to ensure than any water collected will flow in the right direction. )

- I need to re-work some sections of the lip that will support the seal.
( So I'll leave adding any filler until that work is done. )

Talking of the boot lid seal, top marks to CBS, as the seal arrived today and I only ordered it yesterday afternoon.

When I have finished tidying up this side of the rain channel, it will sit here.

I also added some fibreglass filler along the "bridge" in the driver's lip hump.

This will be ground down to match the contours of the rain channel beneath it, before getting a skim of body filler.

The last bit of this batch of filler went into both sides of the fixing holes, which is why it is a bit messy.

Then I mixed up some normal body filler for both sets of hump faces.

Then I just needed to leave all that to set for a while, before coming back out to do some more sanding.

End of Part 1...
Old 28th October 2014, 17:03

Part 2:
This is what the filled fixing holes came out like.

It was just a shame I forgot to do the matching holes in the boot lid.

Still, at least the poor cuts I made on the two top corners of the boot opening are looking miles better now.

Before:

After:

I couldn't resist giving the body shell hump faces a quick dusting with some etch primer.

I will finish the preparation for paint off along with the rest of the body work at a later stage.

Even though the faces on the lid still need a final skim of filler, I ended up spaying them while I was at it.

Thankfully, after all this filler work, the boot lid still sits nicely in the opening.

I still have to finish tidying up all the gaps around the lid, but I do like the way the cut goes through the humps.

Just ignore the big resin smudge that needs to be cleaned up & the fixing hole that needs to be filled in.

Old 28th October 2014, 17:16

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Good progress Paul..well done really taking shape...the slanted cut was definitely the way forward
Old 28th October 2014, 18:08

That is really nice Paul, I salute you!!

You are some sort of expert now! With a wealth of experience!
Old 28th October 2014, 18:18
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

That's the best "ass end" I seen in a long time
Very well done, and all the time getting better
Old 29th October 2014, 09:37

RedRatBike, Scottie & Micky1Mo - Thanks chaps.

This is another element of my build that confirms the old saying that "necessity is the mother of invention".

Cheers, Paul.
Old 30th October 2014, 17:27

Pumpkin HQ:
Well pumpkin carving took priority over car building today, as my daughters and I got ready to work...

As usual, I saw something on Google images that I thought I could copy and the project took a lot longer than I thought.

Anyway, I started with an outline sketch.

Which I eventually turned into this carving.

Which doesn't look great until you see it in the dark, so we staged some night photos.

And this was today's family effort.

So we are all set for tomorrow, assuming I don't eat all the chocolate "treats" in the house tonight.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 30th October 2014, 19:12

swifty is on a distinguished road

Neat work on the rear end Paul, the way you have cut the angle in the humps looks the dogs bollocks. Keep up the great work.

The pumpkins look great they are a work of art.
Old 30th October 2014, 19:49

I like the ninja turtle one on the left Paul!
Old 31st October 2014, 16:36

Swifty - Thanks.
I hope that having the occasional nice line in the body work will distract from the other wobbly ones.

Scottie - Cheers, I don't think my daughter spotted the turtle likeness.

Bits & Pieces:
Lots of fiddly little jobs today, the first of which involved lying on my back underneath the body shell.

I wanted to mark out the edge of the rain channel on the lid.

I assume the rubber seal gets "squashed" by the lid in order to be water tight.

It looks like there will be plenty of room for this along the top edge.

But the rope re-enforcement might be a bit too close on the bottom edge.

With the lid removed, you can just about see the black line.

Removing the lid also confirmed two things, the first is that the body shell covers still leak.

But the other is that the rain actually got collected in the rain channel, so it actually works.

Obviously when I fit some drains, the water will not just sit in the channel.

I countersunk the fixing holes on the lid.

I also cut up some of my fibreglass off cuts to allow me to "fill in" the rest of the driver's hump.

But before I started on that, I got some fibreglass filler mixed up and applied.

I started with the fixing holes.

I also sealed up the edge of the face panel on the inside of the driver's hump.
( Couldn't get a better photo of it. )

Then I applied the filler around most of the perimeter of the boot lid.
( Leaving the area I was going to fibreglass later on and part of the bottom edge. )

End of Part 1...
Old 31st October 2014, 16:37

Part 2:

While I was waiting for the filler to set, my wife helped me lift the body shell back onto the frame.

As it dawned on me it wasn't a good idea to go much further without checking it actually fitted!

Thankfully I measured things properly and although it is pretty close in places, nothing touches.

So I now have the makings of a useful storage area.

Plus full access to all the mechanical parts.

The boot was quickly put to good use as I started to tidy away all my stuff.

The final job of the day was to fibre glass the base of the driver's hump.

For a nice change, I had a sun set in the sky above when I finished, not the usual storm clouds.

When the fibreglass had initially gone off I was able to tuck the lid away for the night.

I also wrapped the dust sheet over the lid before covering the whole car for the night.

Old 1st November 2014, 13:23

Boot Lid:
The locking bonnet pins for my boot lid have arrived.

The good news, from a security point of view, is that each set appears to have a unique key, it is not one size fits all.
Although, from a convenience point of view, I need to carry three keys with me, as I will also have a set on the bonnet.

DVLA:
With a heavy heart I can also announce that the DVLA have replied today and the answer is still no.
They say there are no exceptions to the requirement to have the car taxed before the V5C can be changed.
Yet clearly there have been a huge number of Sammios & Tributes that remained SORN & yet still had their V5C changed.
I now need to leave it for a few days until I can put together a suitable form of words to appeal against this judgement.

This is a good case for the build approach Micky1Mo's is taking with the new Sammio A1 Apha project.
If you bought a donor Spitfire which was still on the road, it would still have valid insurance, MOT, etc.
So, just like some of the Tribute models, your paperwork would be just what the DVLA wants to see.

Take care, Paul.