Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 8th November 2017, 19:57

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

If its just the plastics you need , even easier ...I can get a screen cut for you , the supplier still has my template .

I think the reason Mike never sent any out is because he didn't have access to my template or know who my supplier was !!!
Old 8th November 2017, 20:28

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Mike supplied mine with my car.

But useful to know you have the template as I have wondered about getting one cut in slightly thicker plastic. Any thoughts?
Old 10th November 2017, 23:59

deni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
If its just the plastics you need , even easier ...I can get a screen cut for you , the supplier still has my template .

I think the reason Mike never sent any out is because he didn't have access to my template or know who my supplier was !!!
Gary - thank you very much. Dn't want to hijack this thread further with this (sorry Dave) , so I'll PM you about this if that's ok.

Cheers, Deni
Old 15th November 2017, 13:01

davecymru is on a distinguished road

No need to apologise, it's an interesting and relevant discussion!

In case it helps, from what i saw of my original Sammio wind deflector, with a bit of cardboard and a lot of tinkering, i think it should be quite easy to fabricate yourself
i.e. if you've decided on the fixing strip and have that mountable, then you can simply create the wind deflector shape you want out of cardboard and then when happy you can transfer to some plexi.

I was thinking about taking that route at the start of the Miglia build as i quite fancied the wrap-around screen that continues on the doors. But i'm happy with what i've got. For now....
Old 15th November 2017, 18:40

Thanks Dave. Yes, I like the idea of wrap-around screen, but I was not sure what to use to cut it with and would it crack when I cut it. Also, I was not sure how to get the smooth edges and can it be sanded with fine (wet?) sandpaper.....so much to research and learn, but I enjoy it.
I think I saw somewhere that tungsten jigsaw blades can be used for fine cuts and that they are good to cut plexi and makrolon sheets, but I need to research a bit more.

Good luck with finding better front springs.

Cheers, Deni
Old 12th May 2018, 18:51

Well..... it's been a while!

So I've been out and about in the car quite a bit.

The £20 heated seat pad/cover i bought from LIDL is worth it's weight in gold and has been fitted all winter!!

That along with a working Triumph heater asthmatically puffing warm air onto my hands has really meant that I've been able to enjoy the car over the winter.

Last month it sailed through it's MOT once again with no advisories!

Although a few days later when i was out for a spin i had a weird clunking noise from the rear of the car
After getting recovered home and identifying the Diff as the source of the noise, i took it out and apart and found this.

Knowing that it should be bigger, i completely stripped the diff and found the other bits...

Some googling told me that the old 4:11 diffs were known to occasionally do this and so i decided that is what i must have and to have a go at fixing it myself. And then the fun began...

Trying to find a supplier with one in stock was my first challenge.
After a few days ringing round, it turns out that TD Fitchett are the people to talk to for hard to find parts and I can't recommend them enough! They are a proper old-school company who went out of their way to help me until i had the right part and i will be using them as my first port of call for parts in future!

(WARNING: small children or people with no sense of humour may wish to stop reading now)

Using the diff case number and the vehicle type we identified that mine was indeed a 4:11 diff and in theory it should have:
Small Shaft / Small Flange.
The part turned up but nope, the flange was too small and the holes just wouldn't line up no matter which way i twisted it!

After another call and a bit of head scratching we went for another part they had listed which was:
Big Shaft / Big Flange
That turned up and the flange mated perfectly up with mine! But... i just couldn't get the shaft inserted...
I lubricated it.
I pushed it.
I wiggled it around and even gently tried to persuade it with a rubber. Hammer that it.
But it was obviously just too large

So.. another call and we all agreed that i in fact have:
Small shaft / Large flange.
That turned up, fitted a treat and the car's been working fine ever since.

So given that just the diff and the gearbox we the only original parts i hadn't overhauled, i might rebuild the gearbox this winter!
Old 12th May 2018, 20:02

Alex is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave, glad you got it sorted after a lot of flaffing about with the correct part
Old 14th May 2018, 21:18

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave - Good news on another MOT pass.

Not so good news on the diff!

I know I wouldn't have a clue how to sort that out, so fair play to you.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 4th August 2018, 07:23

Dave - The Ebay link for your car has disappeared?

Did you sell it?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 16th December 2018, 11:55

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm still here, i still have the car, i'm still tinkering with it, thoroughlly enjoying it and getting it ready for my annual new year jaunt across the mendips (Heated seat cover has been dug out in readiness!)

As far as routine jobs are concerned the only thing i've had to do this year so far is replace a very mildly weaping core plug which cost a princely sum of 80p and about 10mins to sort!

I've also found a walnut gearknob that i bought right back at the start of the build and i decided to fit when i gave my centre console a bit of a tidy up.

While i've not been actively posting on here much this year (as i've not had much to say!), i have been lurking and reading all of the "interesting" disucssions about prices and selling as TBH i think the Miglia will go on the market when the weather starts to pick up as there are simply too many other things i want to make, espeically seeing as Prova have resurfaced and are advertsing new Countach kits again....

Last edited by davecymru; 16th December 2018 at 12:11.. Reason: image issues fixed
Old 21st December 2018, 07:39

Dave – The gear knob is just another one of the nice touches on your build.

Keep enjoying the car until you start building something else, Paul.

PS
Have you already forgotten the grief of your last Countach build?

Old 1st January 2019, 13:35

Cheers Paul,

I'm currently applying lad-logic and man-maths to my next build and using those i think an Audi V8 powered Countach is perfectly do-able......

But i also have my eye on the tri-king kits, so i'll just have to wait and see what 2019 brings

And on that note HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I've been preparing the car for it's triditional new year jaunt over the past few weeks and my son asked if there was anything he could help me with, so a quick check of the "one day" list of jobs and a nosey through the bits-n-bobs pile and i decided to fit a headrest as i quite liked the one on my Sammio.

So we cut a backing plate from some exterior ply lefft over from the Sammio

Dug out some seat foam and fabric, also left over from the Sammio build!

cut-trim-stick

And while it doesn't look like a professional job, i'm quite chuffed how it turned out and i had some great father/son bonding time doing it

And it looked the part on this mornings jaunt over the hills!

Happy 2019 everyone
Old 1st January 2019, 17:26

Dave – Looking good.

Although it is quite spooky, as I’ve recently been toying with the idea of making my own head rests too.

I have some leather and I bought a leather sewing kit and some of those plastic ‘Fir tree’ clips from Ebay.

I also went back to Mister Towed’s Spyder build to have a closer look at his headrest.

So a couple of quick questions from me:
- Do the fixing clips just get held in place by the foam?
- How did you attach the material to the plywood at the back?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 1st January 2019, 18:11

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

if you get the hole the right size they can be pressure fitted ..but a blob of adhesive is better ...

I would staple it to the ply ...
Old 1st January 2019, 18:17

Wot e said!

No.1 son did a few different size holes on some test pieces and found the size that held the ones i had nice and tight as i can't remember where they came from (they're either recycled VW or MR2) so i didn't use adhesive.

Then when it's covered you just press through in the right places and it works a treat.

As far as holding it all together, i held the foam and front of the fabric in place with spray adhesive so that it doesn't all move around and then used a staple gun and contact adhesive to stick it to the back.

I used that approach for the interior of er' camper and it's held up to a few years of heavy use from the kids, so it's probaly overkill for this but was good fun to do
Old 5th January 2019, 08:55

Gary & Dave – Thanks chaps.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:11

Hi Dave,
Your Miglia still looks great in the above photo and I like it's stance. Did you replace your front coils ( ones you've ordered from Marlin)?

Thanks, D.
Old 12th January 2019, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni View Post
Hi Dave,
Did you replace your front coils ( ones you've ordered from Marlin)?

Thanks, D.
ATM i've still got the very stiff ones from Merlin on there, but i'm doing a bit of general tinkering with the car atm and i've decided to try some softer ones for normal road use. i'll probably order them in a week or so.
Old 12th January 2019, 18:49

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I am curious how will new springs compare to the Merlin ones.

Cheers,Deni
Old 19th January 2019, 17:53

Well i've finally got off my laze @rse and sorted the front suspension!

First I whipped the front shocks off.

Disassemble

Then i ordered the new springs from Merlin Mororsports who are based on Castle Combe race circuit and have given me lots of great advice over the years.

Existing springs are 325lbs and give no flex whatsoever, but it does corner like it's on rails!

So i did some reading and saw that oem Vitesse/GT6 rating was about the 180/190 range and with the metalwork removed and replaced with fibreglass, but wanting slighlty firmer, i've now opted for 200lbs. TBH i'm not sure how lad-logic ended up with me getting the 325's in the first place, but we live and learn!

As i've gone quite a lot softer, before i ordered i looked at where the old shock seats had ended up being positioned and I decided to add an extra inch. (cue the abuse!)

New 200lbs x 9" springs on left, old 325lbs x 8" on right.

Everything was cleaned and inspected (all good) and then reassembled with the spring seats set at 1" up from lowest as a starting point.

All is now refitted and i took the opportunity with the wheels off to give the suspension a bit of a light clean.

Next, setting the ride height!