Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 4th June 2006, 20:40
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road
Default Marlin Open Day 3rd June

Awesome,

Mark and Terry and the Marlin team organised a fantastic all day event for experienced and novices. Mark helped those who were new to track days by leading the field to boost their confidence. Where else do you get that!

I was the only 5EXi not "sponsored" by Marlin as Dylan drove the "works" green 1600cc racing car (and boy was he quick) and there was also the blue honda engined 5EXi driven by various people throughout the day. The rest of the cars present were sportsters etc and a few road cars...

I had a great time, discovered sticky rubber (Dunlop D01J's). I will never ever go out on a track day without them, as they transformed the handling. The brakes are now sorted (turbo guys you need ZS160 10.25" rear discs + callipers).

Oil temps were also under control now with lots of ducting (needs tidying).

Everything was fine until midday...I was gunning it down the home straight in front of everyone and then one of the oil hoses let go...lots and lots of oil and smoke poured all over me and the entire car, and the track...oh dear...
Luckily no damage (pride?) engine fine (heck I thought the dreaded HG)...
Good job I brought it on a trailer!

moral of the story for the T16 turbo guys...DO NOT continue with the hoses and brass joiners...get your hoses made up with proper flanged swivel fittings.
i've moved my oil rad to the rear of the car and supported it with U-Bolts and peak temps on the hot day were 98 degs C!

Despite that failure I still enjoyed the day and met loads of people...forgotten the names but who cares! Bar-B-Q supplied by Marlin and almost your own personal private track day!!!

I have special thanks for Jerry, his mate (sh1t I forgot your name and his dad!) who drove me around the whole of Brigend to try an get a hose + gunk!
I shall return that favour...get your helmets sorted guys for CC!

I hope there are loads of Pics/Videos etc...I shall be expecting far more 5exi's to be there next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John
Available from eBay
Old 4th June 2006, 21:36
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Sounds like a fantastic time was had, well done Marlin

John
Old 6th June 2006, 17:35
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a cracking event. I was torn between attending, and putting some hours into the kit......

The kit won, and reading the above, I've *really* got to get mine built!