Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread

Old 26th February 2016, 22:54

smash is on a distinguished road

To be fair Hurnlefts body shop obviously didn't think it was "shite" to use Nubodi's freely shared 7mm bonnet cut solution to resolve the bonnet alignment issue that every kit has.

These kits have a few issues that need work arounds - they're just sharing solutions they've found to work.

Having had several grp cars in the past that have suffered from filler sink I'm glad they explained why that was and the solution. Still googled it but turns out they're right!

And it's been a 2 way street - I've come up with ideas, chanced my arm on some parts and they've made it work. Some of these will be offered as options on future builds.

Things never come across as you'd like on forums but honestly, they have been great to work with - it's been a total pleasure and we've had some proper laughs along the way.

If I ever want to build from scratch again (and I can see it happening - quite addictive doing something totally bespoke) then I'd definitely be going to see them. Be interested in whatever the z4 thing is in the pipeline.

If they get something wrong then knock them and tell them they've cocked it up but don't knock them for having pride in their work.

There won't be any finished photos of the car on this thread but it will be at Stoneleigh (fingers crossed) so come and see it in the flesh

Last edited by smash; 26th February 2016 at 23:03..
Old 27th February 2016, 06:45

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
If you can't make a positive contribution then keep your opinions to yourself.
Ahem...

#36 Add to Nubodi Automotive's Reputation Report Post
Old 24th February 2016, 18:35

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Funnily enough my favourite was this Fulvia saloon, which is now even rarer than the Zagato -

Original, unrestored and the owner uses it as his daily driver, touring all over Europe in it.

Nubodi response -

I dont really care if a car is rare if its this ugly.
Which is the front?
Has it Russian styling?
It looks like a shoebox on top of a cornfakes packet!
The guy needs a medal for driving it, let alone around Europe.

Now play nicely please everyone.
Old 27th February 2016, 07:45

Roadster is on a distinguished road

+1 Mr T

Im glad im not the only one that gets irritated Danny.
You just have to take all of his posts with a pinch of salt.

Z300 boot doesn't fit and worked with Chris to rectify - means WCA's z300 was the first and his boot fitted fine and so would mine if the car I used wasn't involved in a rear end shunt and out of shape.

And if you like a work of fiction then just pick up any kitcar magazine article and compare his involvement in the development of the model range and then come back here and read the development threads.

But just remember who you dealing with

I am currently reviewing products for Machine Mart and Rally design. I write a monthly column in Kitcar magazine, I run the website for the Ferrari Daytona owners club (have two of these)(Replicas). These people value my experience and expertise, which is what I was hoping to bring to this forum.

So when people call me a liar (the door was not closed), accuse me of attacking the products I sell (roadster), can’t align a bootlid (Stuart Mills (MEV, the largest kitcar company in the UK) told us this was the car he would most have liked to drive home from Stoneleigh 2014!, etc, etc. I throw my teddy out of the pram. So when people on the forum who have only built one or no Tribute cars think they are defending Chris and I’m not, I understandingly get a bit annoyed.
Nobodi
Old 27th February 2016, 08:07

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

indeed mate. His 1st reply to my comment (that he then edited, then edited agin) was comical. I wish i had screen shot it to post.
Old 27th February 2016, 08:17

Mechanik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HUFC View Post
Make your mind up with your reply. Your latest reply is good for business. Your previous? Hmmmmm
I cannot fathom why you are attacking Richard from Nubodi. He shares his valuable experience with all, which is rare for professional car builders. I for one enjoy everything hes posted. Yes he goes to lengths to explain his background and credentials because of people like you, who call this last statement 'shite'. I called up a old pal of mine who has been in the paint shop repair business for 37 years and he said
"Richard is quite correct about the filler issue. That's why they don't put glass fibre cars in the bake oven and he said he had even seen filler drop out of the body after heating. Filler contracts a greater amount than GRP"
I think you should retract your rude statement in all decency. I like others don't want to see this great forum end up like so many others.
Old 27th February 2016, 08:23
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HUFC View Post
Make your mind up with your reply. Your latest reply is good for business. Your previous? Hmmmmm
Still hiding then
Actually my deleted responses included expletives so I deleted them so not to lower myself down to your level.
Old 27th February 2016, 09:26

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen….please.

Whilst I don't know the full story behind these disagreements (because they are none of my business) could we keep these sorts of discussions to PM's and private phone calls.
My personal policy on posts is to read mine through several times until I think it's suitable for print. This can take several goes but it does/did avoid me putting 'For f--ks sake stop acting like kids and speak to each other properly"

This is a great website full of very knowledgable and helpful people who can share there build successes and failures to help other users with their projects.

I've being sending messages to a chap who has just ordered a 250swb kit and is asking questions about parts I've used etc. He's not posted on here yet but I've suggested to him that any questions I can't answer (and I expect there will be many) are put on the forum for advice from other builders. If he looks on here and finds slagging matches, will he want to have anything to do with us for fear of being treated the same way.

I'm not taking sides because I have no wish to, I'm only here for the cars.
Old 27th February 2016, 10:16

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
Still hiding then
Actually my deleted responses included expletives so I deleted them so not to lower myself down to your level.

I dont understand this 'hiding' thing.
Old 27th February 2016, 12:47

Mechanik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurnleft View Post
Gentlemen….please.

Whilst I don't know the full story behind these disagreements (because they are none of my business) could we keep these sorts of discussions to PM's and private phone calls.
My personal policy on posts is to read mine through several times until I think it's suitable for print. This can take several goes but it does/did avoid me putting 'For f--ks sake stop acting like kids and speak to each other properly"

This is a great website full of very knowledgable and helpful people who can share there build successes and failures to help other users with their projects.

I've being sending messages to a chap who has just ordered a 250swb kit and is asking questions about parts I've used etc. He's not posted on here yet but I've suggested to him that any questions I can't answer (and I expect there will be many) are put on the forum for advice from other builders. If he looks on here and finds slagging matches, will he want to have anything to do with us for fear of being treated the same way.

I'm not taking sides because I have no wish to, I'm only here for the cars.
Well said Bob. Danny needs to leave the childish comments to the school playground. I recently visited Nubodi and found Richard to be very helpful, knowledgable and unassuming. His work is the best I've seen anywhere in the industry. Can we all move on now and act like adults.
Old 27th February 2016, 22:34

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

+2 Mr T and Roadster.

Last edited by oxford1360; 27th February 2016 at 22:37..
Old 27th February 2016, 22:56

smash is on a distinguished road

Some of you seem to be having a problem differentiating a tongue in cheek sarcy swipe at an inanimate car and a direct personal insult...
Old 27th February 2016, 23:05

swifty is on a distinguished road

Ohh the filler issue may be a problem for me, i was not aware of the expansion issues so may be in the summer i will have problems.

IMG_6011.jpg

Could be problems ahead
Old 28th February 2016, 02:20

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Episodes like this annoy and sadden me. This is not the forum I joined back in 2010. I find my myself posting less and less.....
Old 28th February 2016, 07:38

Ollie is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with Chris...... PLEASE keep this kind of insulting behavior off the forum. I am a 47 yr old petrolhead, cars, bikes, whatever, and i read these threads for enjoyment, to gather ideas, to see what you guys are doing with your Tributes, and to escape from everyday cr*p.......
This was a great forum, upbeat and positive...please keep it that way.
Thank you.
Old 28th February 2016, 07:46

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Arguments on the Internet = Fancy Dress competition at a Star Trek convention

Even the winner is a loser

;-)

Now Calm Down and Carry on Building

Stoneliegh soon...
Old 28th February 2016, 08:00

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

I have nothing but praise and admiration for anybody who gets off their arse and builds a kit, whatever type it is.
Chris,Dan and nubodi are stars at it and will get a thanks and a hand shake from me whenever I meet them, Dan and Chris have on occasion had more!!!
Reading this forum for me has saved me time and given me ideas and encouragement for my build and I for one will remain positive and great full for it.
Keep posting good stuff guys. I appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 08:04

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
Episodes like this annoy and sadden me. This is not the forum I joined back in 2010. I find my myself posting less and less.....
It saddens me too.

It'd be a real shame if anyone, amateur or pro, were to be put off posting ideas because of the one or two people on here who don't understand that a friendly forum, where ideas and techniques are happily shared without fear of ridicule, is of far more use to them than as a soap box for their playground insults directed towards people who's contributions they disagree with.

I recall being asked for some input regarding the issue of post 1973 cars fitted with 'black' plates. When I said that a car with incorrect plates could even be ticketed while it was on the owner's drive (I think I quoted the offence wording taken directly from a fixed penalty pad, but that offence isn't listed on the current books), one member who didn't believe me responded with a load of ill-informed pub myths about black plates and a tirade of personal insults. It put me off contributing to the Tribute pages for quite a while, I was only answering a question someone else had asked after all.

And, back to the topic of contributing, my two new pennies worth on the filler debate is as follows -

Got to bow to the pros who recommend being sparing with the filler. Nobody told me that when I was building my Spyder so it's full of the stuff -

When I build another car I'll definitely be taking the advice above and using much less of it. Having said that, I haven't had any problems with shrinkage on my car.

I did also get some input from Mike (Miglia) about using a heat gun to pull out bubbles from the fibreglass body before painting it or they'd pop up when I left it in the sun, but it was too late by then so I didn't do it.

Again I haven't had any issues with that, but it's been suggested that colour choice could be playing a part. My silver paint reflects light and heat instead of absorbing it like darker colours do, which could explain why I've had no shrinkage in the filler or air bubbles popping out of the paint.

Anyway, I do hope nobody abandons this forum because of the odd troll pi$$ing them off. After all, you might be the one contributor who stops me screwing up my next build.
Old 28th February 2016, 08:37

The heat gun technique is good at getting bubbles out. I had a G46 before the Z300S and that need both a lot of filler and a lot of heat gun.

Here is the heat gun making the little bubble in front of it expand

And here are all the bubbles that appeared - remember this is NOT a Tribute bodyshell
Old 28th February 2016, 08:57

y cymro is on a distinguished road

I've heard it's best to leave a new fibreglass bodyshell in the sun for a few weeks before painting it to settle. Is the heat gun a must to remove bubbles sooner rather than later after prep and paint? (Nice cast, wca)
Old 28th February 2016, 09:08

Get the bubbles out and put filler in. The bubbles will come out at some point so it is better before you go to paint. Also "it's best to leave a new fibreglass bodyshell in the sun for a few weeks" is a wonderful idea but I live in England so to get a few weeks of sunshine I would have to leave the bodyshell outside for three summers!

The photo was on my release from hospital after snapping my foot off. That was 3 1/2 years ago and I see the consultant on Tuesday to see if the latest operation on it has worked. Long time recovering and had to sell the G46 as I can no longer drive manual cars in the way I would like due to restricted* ankle movement.

*no ankle. I have more than the average number of legs but less than the average number of ankles.
Closed Thread