Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 1st December 2017, 08:39

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Nick, did you bend the existing MR2 door handle rods to get the angles right for Sierra handles or connect a new bar from Sierra handles to the existing rods? I tried both on mine but struggled to get the right amount of movement in the rod - they work but feel a bit flimsy
Old 1st December 2017, 13:31

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave, I left the mr2 bits as they are and bought some stainless rod. Bent that into this shape:

This is for the drivera door. The right hand side slips snuggly into the sierra handle with two cable ties holding the vertical part, then three ties on the horizontal part to attach to the mr2 bar. Only provisionally held it all in place with cable ties. Will see if I can get some small bulldog clips or jubilee for a permanent fit. Not sure if you've noticed but the rear vertical part of the mr2 bar where it goes into the plastic enclosure has a lip on it. Initially, this was catching and stopping full deflection of the lever.

One door on, run out of clamps now.

Old 2nd December 2017, 12:36

luked2189 is on a distinguished road

looking great mister, good build thread
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:42

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Thanks Nick - good idea with the stainless rod - i used another piece of handle/lock rod which was much thinner which may explain why mine aren’t feeling that strong when I pull the Sierra handle.

Your door looks good - keep up the progress as it is spurring me on to get back to mine now all the jobs on the house are done!
Old 4th December 2017, 08:46

Regarding the doors, I know you've said you were going to add a bit at the bottom to get the shut line right. I've managed to fit mine so that it all lines up with maybe a bit more drastic cutting than I had originally planned but it is possible. The rear of the b pillar sticks out a little more than I'd hoped but am planning to add a bit of fiberglass on the joining edge of the clam to meet it and reduce the step.
Regarding the flimsyness of the window frame, the plan here is to add some extra fiberglass to the b pillar from where it meets the mr2 door to about half way up the pillar itself. Am hoping that will give it a bit of extra strength. I may also go with Micks idea of welding an extra bit of bar down to the crash bar inside the door.
Old 4th December 2017, 15:08

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Looking good Nick
Where did you get the stainless bar from? i may go down that route.
Old 4th December 2017, 16:46

Found it in homebase by all the wood and building materials. Looks to be 4mm. It's a perfect fit for the hole in the handle.
Old 5th December 2017, 23:04

Just wondering folks, would there be anything to stop me from using the lower spot lamps as my high beam headlights? As I understand it, there's a bit of an issue with trying to get an h4 bulb to work as both high and low beam on a facelifted MR2.
Old 6th December 2017, 08:02

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Just wondering folks, would there be anything to stop me from using the lower spot lamps as my high beam headlights? As I understand it, there's a bit of an issue with trying to get an h4 bulb to work as both high and low beam on a facelifted MR2.
I suppose it would be ok Nick, as long as they can test the aim at MOT time. Setting the aim right will be the biggest problem.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:13

retro200 is on a distinguished road

hi nick you can wire the golf headlights up to work on a facelift get some h4 connectors and cut the existing plugs off the mr2 loom you will have too many wires because the facelift has seperate high/low beam bulbs i cant just remember exactly how i did mine ,its a while ago now ,wozzy was asking me about this a couple of weeks back, i identified each wirend its function with a test bulb ,then took it from there make sure you get the feeds right on the h4 plugs cos they will work if you get the earth on the wrong terminal then you get main and dip on together but very dim i seem to remember not using one of the positive feeds i will have a look at mine and see if i can figure it out might be tricky cos i shrink wrapped the new wires when i got it to work right also i seem to remember swapping the spade connectors around in the h4 plugs for some reason think it was something to do with the earthing , hope this helps regards, mick.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:20

ps i also think the lights are wired permanent live and switched thru the earth side !! ialso added some 4 pin relays between the existing loom and h4 connectors this will be your solution its all coming back to me now, lol .its my age you know !!! mick .
Old 6th December 2017, 10:51

Haha! Thanks for that Mick. If you can remember anything else about it that'd be great! I had a feeling you'd put some relays in there somewhere from one of your photos you sent.
Old 16th December 2017, 11:42

A small update.

Both doors are now fitted. The drivers side went on well and both function as doors should. Had a little issue with the passenger side as it dropped slightly... no idea how but I ended up having to make a giant cheese wire and slicing the door off again. Thankfully the glue was still a bit rubbery and the door came off in one bit. Lucky i'd removed it really as I must have been sleepy when I attached the door because I'd forgotten to cut the metal on the mr2 door so the rs200 handle indentation had nowhere to go. Anyway, picked all the old glue off and restuck it. Annoyingly, theres still a couple of mm difference between the door and side skirt still but I can hopefully lose that with a bit of filler and a file. The roof has been trimmed lower and more off the drivers side than passenger as there was a bit of a height difference, probably around 5-10mm which was noticeable when trying to line up the rear end. Next on the list is to trim and shape the a pillars so they fit nicely around the windscreen seal and will get the rear of the roof looking good ready to be fiber glassed at the back to close it all in. I have a bit of a plan to put a sort of air scoop into the roof as I've seen it on the Evo version and think it looks pretty smart. Will start cutting that up over the next week or so.

Old 16th December 2017, 12:47

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think it's more crucial with the low beam lights - they have to be a minimum 500 height at beam cut-off. There's good logic to this....... If the light is too low then you may have difficulty seeing ahead (especially if going uphill!) Having the main beam too low may give a similar problem in this respect, but unlikely as low beam lights will be working anyway? As to whether it will pass MOT, If they are single filament bulbs wired to just one filament that may be an issue if the MOT man is picky (if bulb is there it should work). Car shouldn't require an IVA, but it's worth using their rules as a guide, because if you build to IVA spec it should easily get through MOT.
Old 16th December 2017, 15:39

As I understand it, this will be classed as a radically altered vehicle so will require an IVA... unless anyone knows a way around it? Using the spot lamps as main beams was just a passing thought. To be honest, I'd rather use the spot lamps as spot lamps.
Old 16th December 2017, 15:53

Quote:
As I understand it, this will be classed as a radically altered vehicle so will require an IVA... unless anyone knows a way around it? Using the spot lamps as main beams was just a passing thought. To be honest, I'd rather use the spot lamps as spot lamps.
My understanding is that if you haven't altered the 'main body' ie the monocoque unit then it hasn't been radically altered. Removing bolt-on parts is ok, but chopping any parts off isn't (I think that pretty much covers it).
Old 16th December 2017, 17:24

scimjim is on a distinguished road

It’s not “radically altered”, it’s a “kit converted vehicle” (a kit of new parts added to an existing vehicle, or old parts added to a new kit).

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...erted-vehicles
Old 16th December 2017, 17:43

I'm in agreement with Scim on that. They seem to keep adding new categories? Looking through the document it appears (I could be incorrect) that you can't rebuild a classic with a new body (eg heritage MGB shell) without being 'awarded' a Q registration!

Last edited by Mitchelkitman; 16th December 2017 at 17:45.. Reason: typo
Old 16th December 2017, 18:59

Default mrs 200 and iva

hi nick it shouldnt need iva as long as you dont alter the chassis and get the 8 points needed for the rest of the car mine didnt its a body swap, just re-register it as a radically altered vehicle, fill the forms in and send plenty pics of the build there was no charge when i did mine i sent a cheque for £55 and they sent it back with the new v5 you can even do it now before you finish it , andy mcmillan did his this way , regards, mick.
Old 16th December 2017, 19:38

[QUOTE=retro200;92440]hi nick it shouldnt need iva as long as you dont alter the chassis and get the 8 points needed for the rest of the car mine didnt its a body swap, just re-register it as a radically altered vehicle, fill the forms in and send plenty pics of the build there was no charge when i did mine i sent a cheque for £55 and they sent it back with the new v5 you can even do it now before you finish it , andy mcmillan did his this way , regards, mick.[/QUOTE

On reading the document in the link it would seem that it's NOT a radically altered vehicle, but is a KIT CONVERTED vehicle. It all seems very confusing, as reading the radically altered it seems a new (to original spec) chassis could be used, so (for instance) an MGB could possibly retain its original reg number with a new heritage monocoque, however there is a specific category of rebuilt classic car, which indicates it would get a Q reg. Typical DVSA confusion?