Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 13th February 2006, 12:09

jitsukadave is on a distinguished road
Default Newb: Difficulty and length of build?

I'm thinking about starting a kit car build in the summer (I will have to wait till then for the garage).

My skill with a spanner is ok, but my ability to drill holes that are in exactly the right place and go in exactly the right direction isn't so good. For this reason, I need a car that's pretty easy to stick together.

I also don't want this project to last until I retire, and everybody I know that's doing a kit car build are in at least their 4th summer on the same car. To me this smacks of laziness and having a life, but it's also the only yard stick I have to measure build times against.

With this in mind, how long would it take a relative rooky to build a 5exi, including stripping the donar car(s)? I have a lot of tools at my disposal, but probably not all directly to hand (some at various relative's, mate's or old places of work). I will also have a couple of pairs of more skilled hands for some of the more difficult parts of work, if they are booked in advanced.

So far I have my short list down to: 5exi, Libra, r1ot, Fury.
I also like the idea of a single donar car, so the 5exi is out in the lead right now.

Oh, and has anybody taken one onto the track yet? This is where mine will spend most of its life, so I'd quite like it to be fun there.

Cheers!
Available from eBay
Old 13th February 2006, 17:26
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Dave,

I built the T16 turbo version. It took me a year to build + 3 months of faffing with bodywork/SVA issues etc...

Ask Mark or Terry for details of the Marlin Racing Club as more 5EXi owners will be out on the track this year (including me!).

HTH

John
MarlinTurbo
Old 13th February 2006, 18:31
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi mate.

If you gave yourself 2 years. This would include a good home life as well.

I started at the beginning of March and Im at the rolling chassis stage with engine running (but not moving) .

Is not an easy build for begineers. It's not like a Westfield where you get a nut and bolt put together. But I fould that part of the fun and learning.

I was like you could not drill a straight hole in DIY. First job is drilling the floor. It's amazing how much you check and check again and drill it straight.

HTH
Old 17th February 2006, 09:46

jitsukadave is on a distinguished road

2 years!! Wow! I really did think the guy building the NG who's now in his 6th year was being lazy... maybe its just hard! He does only have a standard size garage so the bits live in the house with all his tools - his wife really must love him!

Well, I still have to get the garage ready, so I doubt I'll have the car sorted in time for my trip through the Alps in September
Old 17th February 2006, 18:24
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Well I'm doing all mine in a garage integral with the house. Just has the chest freezer in it though. So can be done within a small garage tools and all.
Old 17th February 2006, 20:00

paul sullivan is on a distinguished road

Hi, I got my kits 1 & 2 in November.
I'm now at rolling chassis stage with just a few electrical connections to finish.
I have put the 1.8VVC motor in mine and have been busy modifying the dash to incorporate a modified Rover centre console to take a stereo and some switches. (looks ok)
I am hoping to order the body soon (funds permiting)
This is a well engineered kit but there will be some additional items needed (some costly). Seats, steering wheel, wheels/tyres, new cat etc etc.
I have previously built a Robin Hood which was less than half the price but not twice as hard to build, which included almost everything in the kit.
That said, I am so looking forward to getting this one on the road. There will be no other around way down here in South West Wales.
Don't worry about the build. There are lots of guys parting with great information on this site.
Good luck