Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 19th September 2005, 22:54
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation
Default Beat the Q's

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitc...ale.php?id=600

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com

BTW it's not connected to me in any way.
Available from eBay
Old 22nd September 2005, 21:15
Enthusiast

Dan is on a distinguished road

John, anychance you can delete this add for me. I was getting a hard time at work and don't know what came over me.... I'm sure it'll sort it's self out....

If I do anything like this again can someone please come and smack me round the head with a large pole.....
Old 22nd September 2005, 22:13
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Dan.

A full kit, donor BRM and a Type R engine. Then selling!!

Go to Donny and take a ride in someones. That will bring you back on track!
Old 23rd September 2005, 07:01
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

ok Dan, all done

Cheers, John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 23rd September 2005, 07:09
Enthusiast

I know, I know...I'm a plonker.....
Even if I'd sold it I still wanted a 5EXI, I was going to buy Marlins silver demo car and stick the type-r engine in it.
I'll get my kit started this weekend and then plod along, might take a while but I'll see how it goes...
Old 23rd September 2005, 08:36
Enthusiast

Hi Dan

I'll be up your way Friday afternoon. If I can help in any way.
Old 23rd September 2005, 09:12
Enthusiast

do you mean next Friday? I won't be home from work till about 5 ish, but if your heading back past M1 J16/15A at that time, your more than welcome to pop by for a coffee, I'm only 5 mins from either junction..
Old 23rd September 2005, 10:00
Enthusiast

Sorry just checked my dates. It's this Monday and will be finished my meeting about 4-5 ish up in Northampton if your about.
Old 23rd September 2005, 10:18
Enthusiast

will be home just before 5, come round for a coffee and a chat ..
Old 23rd September 2005, 11:32
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Even if I'd sold it I still wanted a 5EXI, I was going to buy Marlins silver demo car and stick the type-r engine in it.
I'll get my kit started this weekend and then plod along, might take a while but I'll see how it goes...
Dan I understand how you feel. To strip my donor I booked this week off as holiday. Well I managed to do 3 days (I am very slow as I am labelling everything), before my job reared its bloody head.
So yesterday, today and this bloody weekend I am working. No chance to even look at the car(s).
I still have the engine and gearbox to remove, which won't be for another two weeks now due to work. It doesn't help that I really hate this donor-striping bit. The only plus side of it is a better understanding of the mechanics of the car and how things go together or interacts with each other. So a necessary evil I would say.

There was one high point though. This week I got side tracked whilst removing the heater blower assembly. I looked at the build photos and modified the bits as necessary and within an hour had built up the assembly ready for installation in the chassis. I realise that this is not the correct sequence and I won't be fitting it yet. What it did do though, was firstly give me an immediate sense of achievement of actually starting and finishing something. Secondly it illustrated to me that the build might not be as difficult as I thought it might be. For some reason I was worried about hacking the heater/fan assembly to bits, getting it wrong and scrapping it.

The other thing I have decided not to do with this build is to set myself deadlines.
Every-one keeps asking me how long will it take to build? or will it be on the road next year? My reply is "God knows!”
I refuse to let this project become a commitment or millstone around my neck. Another task to be completed just like in my job.

I would dearly love to drive the 5exi to Le Mans next year. Nice idea but it probably won’t happen until 2007 or definitely 2008 or at the very worst 2009. See what I mean? No commitment.

I decided to do this Kit (or any kit really) because it is totally different to and removed from my real job.
That's why no self-imposed time limits which after all only lead to self-induced pressure. I could so easily let this become a burden. But I won't it's a hobby. A hobby that I hope I am going to enjoy doing very much.
Having a fantastic and somewhat rare sports car at the end of it is just a by-product of this hobby.

Sorry to go on a bit, but hope it helps (it did me just typing it).

Best Regards

Mike

Old 23rd September 2005, 11:48
Enthusiast

Mike , I do get your point of view, After mucho thinking I've decided I want to try and get a new reg on the car, so I've ordered a shed load of new hubs/calipers ect ect from Marlin, means I can get rid of the donor now. I'll end up having taken barely anything from it... luckily as it was a BRM it's paid for it's self with the red leather interior and other bits I could sell on.
I've got Saturday free and I'm switching all the phones off, so I'm going to start a drilling / rivnuting marathon..
Old 23rd September 2005, 12:21
Enthusiast

Don't worry. That's one of my bug's. Cleaning rusty, greasy bits!!!
Old 23rd September 2005, 12:37

Strolls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN
...I refuse to let this project become a commitment or millstone around my neck. Another task to be completed just like in my job.

...it probably won’t happen until 2007 or definitely 2008 or at the very worst 2009.
You're another software developer, I see!! 2007, 2008 or 2009? What part of Windows Vista do you work on?

Stroller.
Old 23rd September 2005, 12:41

Strolls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I've got Saturday free and I'm switching all the phones off, so I'm going to start a drilling / rivnuting marathon..
I don't know if a second pair of hands can be useful for drilling & rivnutting, but just let me know if you'd like me to pop up & help out.

Stroller.
Old 25th September 2005, 10:09
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Dan I understand how you feel. To strip my donor I booked this week off as holiday. Well I managed to do 3 days (I am very slow as I am labelling everything), before my job reared its bloody head.
So yesterday, today and this bloody weekend I am working. No chance to even look at the car(s).
I still have the engine and gearbox to remove, which won't be for another two weeks now due to work. It doesn't help that I really hate this donor-striping bit. The only plus side of it is a better understanding of the mechanics of the car and how things go together or interacts with each other. So a necessary evil I would say.

There was one high point though. This week I got side tracked whilst removing the heater blower assembly. I looked at the build photos and modified the bits as necessary and within an hour had built up the assembly ready for installation in the chassis. I realise that this is not the correct sequence and I won't be fitting it yet. What it did do though, was firstly give me an immediate sense of achievement of actually starting and finishing something. Secondly it illustrated to me that the build might not be as difficult as I thought it might be. For some reason I was worried about hacking the heater/fan assembly to bits, getting it wrong and scrapping it.

The other thing I have decided not to do with this build is to set myself deadlines.
Every-one keeps asking me how long will it take to build? or will it be on the road next year? My reply is "God knows!”
I refuse to let this project become a commitment or millstone around my neck. Another task to be completed just like in my job.

I would dearly love to drive the 5exi to Le Mans next year. Nice idea but it probably won’t happen until 2007 or definitely 2008 or at the very worst 2009. See what I mean? No commitment.

I decided to do this Kit (or any kit really) because it is totally different to and removed from my real job.
That's why no self-imposed time limits which after all only lead to self-induced pressure. I could so easily let this become a burden. But I won't it's a hobby. A hobby that I hope I am going to enjoy doing very much.
Having a fantastic and somewhat rare sports car at the end of it is just a by-product of this hobby.

Sorry to go on a bit, but hope it helps (it did me just typing it).

Best Regards

Mike

At last, engine out & donor fully stripped!

Now just got to get rid of the shell, sell off some parts, get some DIY out of the way to keep my wife happy and do a tour of the Middle East and then I can start building.

Mike
Old 25th September 2005, 10:32
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default Do not get too despondent

Hi Guys,

We will all have our own stories in regard to our build, mine is a little different to most:-

November 2003 ordered 5EXi at MPH03 motor show at Earls Court.

24th December 2003 had heart attack. Wife threatens to cancel order as it will be unlikely that I will ever complete the car.

February 2004 Terry phones and says part 1 is ready, small problem, Iam still not allowed to drive. A good friend of mine collects part 1 for me.

May 2004 Chassis looks good sitting in garage, untouched!

June 2004 Son buys donor.

At last I can start, by November the engines in and started. Collect body.

More heart troubles slow things down til late February.

Great strides made through til July and then a week ago further hospital in treatment. But.......................

My SVA is set for 18th October and what a motor!!!!!!!!!

So what nearly 2 years from the date ordered.

Do what you can, when you can and enlist the help of friends.

Best wishes to all builders

Trev
Old 25th September 2005, 12:35
Enthusiast

Default Re: Do not get too despondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboysexi
Hi Guys,

We will all have our own stories in regard to our build, mine is a little different to most:-

November 2003 ordered 5EXi at MPH03 motor show at Earls Court.

24th December 2003 had heart attack. Wife threatens to cancel order as it will be unlikely that I will ever complete the car.

February 2004 Terry phones and says part 1 is ready, small problem, Iam still not allowed to drive. A good friend of mine collects part 1 for me.

May 2004 Chassis looks good sitting in garage, untouched!

June 2004 Son buys donor.

At last I can start, by November the engines in and started. Collect body.

More heart troubles slow things down til late February.

Great strides made through til July and then a week ago further hospital in treatment. But.......................

My SVA is set for 18th October and what a motor!!!!!!!!!

So what nearly 2 years from the date ordered.

Do what you can, when you can and enlist the help of friends.

Best wishes to all builders

Trev

Bloody hell Trev, that certainly puts things into perspective. I was feeling sorry for myself for lack of time etc, then I read your post. All I can say is well done and congratulations for achieving so much.

Good luck with the SVA next month.

Mike