Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 2nd August 2006, 12:27
Kit Car Dreamer

sconcia is on a distinguished road
Talking Marlin 5exi-R, here we come!!

Well I've done it.

Deposit paid (a few weeks ago actually) and packs 1 and 2 due to be picked up in 2-3 weeks time.

The plan was to have our single garage changed to a double by the time it arrived. But builders have been useless at getting back to us with quotes. To top it off only the most recent builder mentioned building regs (we'd asked the council about planning permission, they said none necessary, but didn't mention building regs!!). So we're now struggling to get someone to do drawings for building regs before we can get anywhere. Why doesn't anyone ever ring back when they say they will?

Anyway, I now need to source an engine + bits. Anyone got any ideas as to the best way of going about this?

As far as I can tell, there's three others building these on here. Craig, Jerry and John. Is that right? I see that John bought a whole donor car.

I've seen a couple of type-r conversion kits on ebay. Designed for Elises primarily I think. Currently one on for about £1400. Is this a good route to go down. Will it have everything? Will it even work?!! I saw Jerry's recent thread on what you need and don't even know what half those things look like!!

Mark (from Marlin) reckoned a breakers would be the best place to find one. However, I wouldn't have a clue what to expect so am a bit reluctant to go down that route.

And Jerry, those drive shafts you just received. I assume these are special parts and can't be taken off the Civic?

Cheers,
Brett
Available from eBay
Old 2nd August 2006, 15:55
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Hi Brett, It's good to hear your building a type r powered car that does indeed make 4 of us now!

75% of the parts mentioned in Jerry's thread will come with your engine eg alternator, gearbox, starter, water pump, ecu and half shafts just make sure that when you buy the engine that it is sold with all the ancillaries and gearbox!

You can get the engines from all over but ebay is as good as any as there is always engines listed

You don't need to buy an elise conversion engine and should only expect to pay for a good engine with all ancillaries£700 - £900 as I have watched tons of them go since I bought mine!

The drive shafts are the outer shaft that is purchased from marlin and no they can't be taken of the civic but you will need the inner shaft as it's in 2 parts!

When you get all your parts it's a bit daunting but when you actually start (I kept putting it off) it's surprising how quickly they go down!

Lastly what I have learnt so far is put your front bulk head in place but do not fix until after the steering rack is in place otherwise a 2 min job can be a lot longer

If you have a compressor buy a rivet gun for £20 I did all my bulkheads and floorpans in about 4 hrs with ss rivets

The radiator you will need as this was a pain for me and others is off an mgzr 1.8 vvc I can give you the link off ebay if you need it, they are only £50

Craig
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:50
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

hi sconcia
craig has pritty much answered all your Q's
if your not shore about something one of us should be able to help

another Type-r builder

Jerry
Old 8th August 2006, 07:55
Kit Car Dreamer

sconcia is on a distinguished road

Cheers guys.

I just watched a Type-R engine go on Ebay for £2200! And there's a "Buy It Now" on there for £2995 + VAT!! And I had a breaker ring me offering one for £2250 + VAT!!!

Do you think these are so high because it's summer and everyone's converting their Lotus'?

Assuming some average pace of build, how far into it can I get without having the engine + bits? Weeks? Months?

And did anyone ever find out anymore about supercharging? Last I saw was that the chassis might twist given 370hp!! Can't say that I'd ever consider that much power, but there may come a time when 300 seems attractive. If there's any strengthening of the chassis that can be done, is it best to do it now or can it be done at a later stage?

Cheers,
Brett
Old 8th August 2006, 12:12
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Another Honda builder - excellent.

I'd like to know where the £700-£900 engines are, as I did lots of phoning around / watched countless engines go on ebay, and never once did I see a *UK* engine / gearbox / ECU and wiring, go for less than £2k! Which is exactly why I took the plunge and bought a CAT-B write off.

Having said the above, I have just managed to source a gearbox for £200 + vat, after discovering my donor car's 'box was damaged and beyond economical repair. Ironic really, as prior to sourcing the car, every breaker I spoke to wanted £500 for a gearbox....... perhaps there are cheaper engine out there now.

I would say you can go a considerable distance into the build before getting an engine - certainly well beyond rolling chassis stage. How much time will elapse before you need the engine will obviously depend on how much time you can throw at the project, and your skills with the tools.

If you have any questions, as Jerry says, just ask. In my opinion the type-r "kit" isn't fully sorted, and I know Jerry and I have both found ourselves remaking parts / taking our own direction. We've both ditched the cable clutch actuation for starters, and amusingly we both had the same idea for making the gearbox mount more substantial - familiarity of VW parts being to blame there!

As for where we are with our builds: I'm at rolling chassis stage, and I beleive Jerry is about a month or so further down the line, and is busy covering his car in a web of wires.....

I hope to have my car finished for summer '07 (Le Mans would be good), but I keep finding things taking me longer than I expect!
Old 8th August 2006, 16:22
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Yes you can pay £2000 for an engine it's entirely up to yourself and as far as ebay goes just keep an eye out for the private sellers as I have honestly lost count of the number of engines going for under £1000

There is one person on ebay rpslimited selling them for £1500 engine only and
£2995 all in PLUS VAT

I rushed into my engine at £1600 all in but have watched nearly every engine since thinking about buying another 2005-2006 engine instead of my 2002 but since car will be registered new anyway not much point

There was one last week went 2006 with only 400 miles on the clock not sure of the price though
As far as time scales I have had my engine since november and still dont need it and I'm at rolling chassis stage

Craig