Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 13th May 2012, 19:35

Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default Door/dash tops/capping

Evening guys. Having been spurred on by seeing the completed Sportsters at Stoneleigh, especially Goo's award winning example. The bodywork fitting has begun!
On that note.....What did you guys use for topping the doors and around the dash top please. Looks like it is some kind of extruded type foam or rubber moulding, I assume it's made of this for IVA puposes. Also what have you covered it with??

Thanks in advance

Rob
Available from eBay
Old 13th May 2012, 20:20
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I think everyone did there own thing. Some used the trim kit supplied by Marlin while others (including me) made it themselves.

I used thin plywood with a foam rubber layer and then covered in vinyl. The main SVA requirement (as I remeber) is the lower dash edge which has to have a certain radius or be padded.

Cheers

Robin
Old 13th May 2012, 22:38
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default door caps

I used D extrusion rubber, the kind used on boats, possibly from www.wilks.co.uk I think it was PVC49 hollow extrusion which has a 47mm base and 28mm height.I cut thin ply as a base and covered the lot in trim.I am well pleased with the result http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremysportster/
Old 14th May 2012, 08:51
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

My door caps are 50mm wide and nominally 50mm high (they thin down near the dash) and the dash capping is 50 x 35ish mm. All of them have had the corners rounded over using a router bit.

Then it was good old fashioned sanding. Lots and lots of sanding.

They're attached by these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCREW-HEAD...9#ht_967wt_902

With some bolts from the inside of the door. The dash is held in with the same things, but rather than bolts I made some studs that screw into the inserts, and then once it's in place some nuts on the back.
Old 14th May 2012, 15:44
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I used the Marlin supplied items in their trim kit. The dashboard and door capping are made of galvanized sheet steel with studs welded to the back. Foam rubber covered in black vinyl.
They fitted well and look good and it was one less job to do myself
Old 14th May 2012, 20:33

Bobnic is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips guys. will most likely get the interior kit direct from Marlin, as should have all the bits we need. Just about to spend a small fortune with CBS and the like for lights, dash, seats, trim pieces etc....