Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 18th September 2011, 07:43

Patton is on a distinguished road

They do look nice though erm, Dear Mr Father Christmas
Old 18th September 2011, 08:00

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

They'll be the smooth adaptors rather than the splined type then...
Old 18th September 2011, 08:52

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

What do you mean smooth not splined type?

Trevor.
Old 18th September 2011, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I'll fit my £10 MGB wires when I found some hubs in a skip Ha Ha Ha! ... PAT 'n' SKIPPY
Sorry, should've quoted Patton to make myself clearer.

Knock-on wheels tend to wear out the splines on the hubs if they're subjected to too much torque or not tightened up regularly, leaving no splines on the shaft and no drive to the wheel on that hub.

Happened a lot with mgb v8 conversions in the 70's so you got the massive roar of v8 power as you rolled to an embarassing stop at the roadside.

The smooth type I alluded to are the worn out hub adaptors that Patton is likely to find in a skip (or the modern equivalent, ebay).

Oh, just a thought, if your splines fail then you don't just lose the go, you lose the brakes too...
Old 18th September 2011, 10:47

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

Ah, makes sense!

I knew there was a reason I spent all that money on new ones!

Trevor.
Old 18th September 2011, 15:09

Patton is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean I had an MGB GT 1968 vintage many years ago didn't feel right took the o/s/f wheel off found hairy parcel string wrapped around the splines and the knock off spinner required a sledge hammer to undo it so I'll have to rely on santa......... PAT
Old 18th September 2011, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I know what you mean I had an MGB GT 1968 vintage many years ago didn't feel right took the o/s/f wheel off found hairy parcel string wrapped around the splines and the knock off spinner required a sledge hammer to undo it so I'll have to rely on santa......... PAT
Thanks for the tip about the hairy parcel string, I'm sure it can cure a multitude of engineering problems.

Perhaps I can pack the holes in my chassis with it then paint over it with bitumen, that should fool the mot chap.
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:26

Nick59 is on a distinguished road
Default Boll**@s!!!!

Major Ebay cock up Nr2

Purchased some splined hub adaptors and spinners a while ago sold as "universal" kitcar/ triumph thinking I had got a bargain....had checked the 8 TPI & 42mm.

Now ready to bolt on and yes they are dual drilled but with P.C.D of 101.6mm & 108.0mm NOT the triumph 95.3mm. Dont think I fancy elongating the drill holes

So now I have for sale bolt on hub adaptors to suit MG Midget/ Sprite, Alpine, Ford Sierra??Mini or AC

Need to check out sites listed or may try MWS http://www.mwsint.com/Shop/Directory...s&Category=116 they seem to be £168 for the hubs £76.80 for the spinners......so I need to get back more than £77 on ebay or i will keep the spinners i`ve got....at least i know they should fit.

Don`t you just love this learning process "Sod Calm and Get Angry"
Old 23rd November 2011, 20:16

Default Sh!t happens

Bad luck old bean.

I tried and tried but couldn't find a cheap source for splined adaptors. I paid about 260 quid for a set from mg services, Heathrow and they're top banana quality. Well worth the wonga.
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:23

davecymru is on a distinguished road

doh! don't worry, the first set of wire wheels i bought which were sold to me as MGC wires turned out to be MK2 Jag wires!

I put it down to "you live and learn!"
Old 24th November 2011, 07:35

Hmm, research I conducted suggested that there's no way to fit Jag wires to Triumph Herald/Vitesse/Spitfire hubs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:27

davecymru is on a distinguished road

nope, you're perfectly correct. The guy i bought them off also sold me the Vitesse and he was going to do a Sammio, but he hadn't bought the hub adapters and from what i can figure out he just thought that the two (Jag mk2 / MGC) were the same. So did i at that point!

I actually went through 3 set of hub adapters from different people and of different types before i finally measured the wheel hubs and had a big "DOH" moment!
Old 30th November 2011, 16:40

Nick59 is on a distinguished road

Ebay cock up Nr 2 may be resolved.....put the ford/midget/sprite hubs on ebay and got a message from someone with the triumph longer hubs who was after ford......not sure about meeting up in a car park around Dartford area to do the swap
I know its not ebay policy to do swopsie but I am sure Mr Ebay wont lose sleep over a few quid

Gonna make damn sure I take a hub & wheel with me before we do the deed....and a baseball bat in the boot just in case
Old 4th January 2012, 19:32

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Just in case anybody is looking into this at the moment, this info could possibly be helpful when read in association with the previous posts above.

We needed the 'long' splined adaptors for 15" MGC wires ( 8 threads per inch for the spinners and 42mm diameter spines) and looked at 'MG heathrow' through ebay as well as MWS International.

MG heathrow quoted £275 for four of the long hubs, £65 for the four spinners, £20 for a copper/hide hammer, and £9.95 for delivery. Total £354.95 inc. Vat. (19/08/11)

MWS International in Slough quoted £35.00 each for the hubs (£140) ex vat. £16.00 for the spinners (£64) ex vat. £15.00 for the copper/hide hammer ev vat. They also sell special 3/8 UNF short nuts to replace the standard spitfire/herald wheel nut at £1.00 each ex vat. Also a wooden 'spinner saver' tool at £16.00 ex vat.Their delivery was £12.00 ex vat.

We went for MWS International in the end and paid a total of £315.60 (25/11/11) for four long hubs, four spinners, sixteen short nuts, one hammer and one spinner saver tool. Including vat and delivery.

They are very nice and helpful people to deal with over the phone, and the matt black hubs are excellent quality with good threads. Delivery was exactly as was promised, and I would certainly be more than happy to deal with them again if it helps anyone out there.

In hindsight I don't think we probably needed the short nuts since when the hubs were tested with the original wheel nuts the wires did not seem to foul on anything, but at least we know they are torqued up to 40 lb/ft with good threads.

Cheers, Paul.