Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 13th November 2016, 10:06

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostraloom View Post
Hi there! Here are a few pictures of the handles in progress. I bent the spoon stem back around on itself and welded it, so I could drill a pivot for the handle.

Hi Jon
Very impressive, did you use a dremel to cut the shape out of the spoon?
I’m thinking of copying your idea for the embellisher, just need a slightly bigger spoon!

I decided to buy OEM handles from eurospares, it ended up being a bit of a saga:

At first I looked on their website and found that the handles were used in several different models and were different prices

Ferrari Dino 206GT..... 20-42-23 (superseded by 20261400).......(£POA)
Ferrari Dino 246GT.......0200377 ......(£192)
Ferrari Daytona 365GTB4......30016307...... (£POA)
Ferrari 365GTC4...........253-30-810-02..... (£91.67)
Ferrari 512BB.......20261400.... (£62.56 each)

I emailed them to ask about the 20261400 part number ones only to be told these were no longer available. I then ordered the 253-30-810-02 ones at £91.67 on their website. The following day they called me, part of the conversation went like this

Eurospares…. You’ve ordered 2 right hand handles, did you want a pair?
Me….Yes but aren’t they both the same?

Eurospares…. Not sure, we can send you a right and a left
Me….OK then, but your website doesn’t mention anything about them being handed for the other models.

Eurospares…. The thing is the left hand equivalent of 253-30-810-02 is £170
Me… What??? But they look both the same!

Eurospares….Errr, we can send you 2 right hand ones if you want….
Me…. I’ll take the 2 right hand ones, I can always return one if it’s no good.

Eurospares….Yes, I’ll send them off to you.
Me …Thankyou, Bye

As you can see they are NOT handed, and, indeed, they have no markings to suggest that one is LH and one is RH. They are also drilled with more holes than I need, which to me suggests that they fit more than one model, so why the different prices

To top the whole thing off when I received an electronic copy of the invoice I discovered that the prices above did NOT include VAT (I think that this was added after checkout so I didn’t see it at all during the purchase process) so I had an extra 20% to pay. I’ve checked and the only place I can find mention that the price is ex VAT is on the last page of their Terms and Conditions!

All part of the fun of building a kit car
Neil
Old 13th November 2016, 11:33

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default handles

Hi

I also ordered 2 handles from them(eurospares)priced @ £51 each. They did in fact send me a left and a right as there were bagged separately and had 2 different part numbers.Mine came complete with the mounting bracket/pivot to bolt to the door.Now from what I can see the handles are exactly the same although the brackets are handed.
You are correct in the VAT being added at the end of the order screen and also on top of p&p too! The delights of building a replica! I also ordered the embellishers so with vat and postage that'll be £312 sir!!
I'm told they sometimes do a discount if you visit them but then there is the travelling to taking in to account.You simply can't win.
I'm in the process of constructing a mould to produce a fibreglass panel to bolt everything to and then bond onto the rear door card of my door. I've made the mould so the panel is both left and right handed.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (89.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (88.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 13th November 2016, 12:37

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarbuilder246 View Post
Hi

I'm in the process of constructing a mould to produce a fibreglass panel to bolt everything to and then bond onto the rear door card of my door. I've made the mould so the panel is both left and right handed.

Ian
My doors have a sculptured inner panel which is glassed in.

I have no idea what all the shapes are for and as I can't get to the back to mount anything on them without cutting the panel out their purpose is a bit of a mystery to me

I think I will have to produce a door card to mount the handle, glove box and other bits to, somewhere along the lines of yours.

Neil
Old 14th November 2016, 21:41

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default Handles

Hi Neil

Your door inner looks very much like a door on a friends car which was one of the first JHClassic's dino. On his it positions the window frames and other door internals. Mine never had them fitted. When I received mine they looked very much like yours minus that inner panel.
I've cut the front of the door off and fitted a steel reinforcement bar from the hinge to the lock which I'm planning on using to mount the window frame to, along with the motors for the glass. I'm also intending to use it to position the door outer skin when I finally bond them back together.
Once the two parts had been separated the inner part off the door became a wobbly moulding which was no use at all and that's the reason for the fibreglass inner part. It was flexing and moving all over the place and just wouldn't stay in one place for me to mount the door lock, hinges etc and get it to work every time.
My photo's are on my laptop but I've included one of the mould layup for the handle to mount to.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (90.0 KB, 16 views)