Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 1st December 2016, 09:47

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road
Default SwiftyDS's MRS200 Build

Hi everyone - having been encouraged by Nostromo's MRS200 build thread that I've been following previously on Mr2roc.org I thought I'd take the plunge and start a build thread for my kit.

It's early days as the kit only arrived from Tribute yesterday, but all good things have a start and hopefully over the coming weeks and months my little 80s rally replica will start to take shape.

I thought it would be a good idea to get Chris at Tribute to crate up the kit and have it delivered on a pallet - well easier than hiring a van, driving down to Dorset and getting in/out of the van. What I didn't realise is that the lorry bringing the excellently packaged kit would arrive without a fork lift not even realising they were delivering a kit car to a domestic address. Me and the driver managed to get most of the panels out whilst the pallet/crate was still on the lorry but we then had to unload (for that read drag!) the pallet off the side of the lorry complete with the rear clam/roof panel in situ! It was certainly heavy and I had visions of us dropping it with the rear clam breaking into pieces!

Progress so far has been limited to dismantling the crate and unpacking the kit contents and then working out how to store it in about 2/3rds of one side of the garage. The MR2 Roadster base is on the other side whilst I run this for the next couple of weeks and check for issues.

Whilst I've been waiting for the kit to arrive - I managed to convince Andy and Chris at Tribute (ok twist their arms) to add me to the last set of 4 panels that were being moulded now the kit/moulds themselves are up for sale by Andy - I've been amassing various Sierra/Ford parts from the 80s, Golf MK2 headlights, hinges (I will be hinging the rear clam) and the MR2 Roadster base car itself. Oh and I treated myself to a replica RS200 rear screen complete with louvres and in a nice bronze tint with black edging (thank you Bill Watson and RS Automotive, now the home of what was the Mercury/EVO 200 kit).

The plan is to run the MR2 until Christmas and then commence the panel removal. In the meantime I probably won't be able to resist starting to remove the flash lines and mould wax/release agent from the panels and drill out the grills/vents. I will also be fitting original Ford door handles and locks so need to refine the linking mechanism.

Deciding on wheels is leading me to spend countless hours on eBay waiting for that set of OZ or Speedline alloys to come up at a crazy price - needless to say that hasn't happened yet. The last set of original RS200 Speedline alloys and new tyres on eBay went for £850+ and when I contacted Image Wheels who do a replica wheel I was quoted £1800+ for a set. Needless to say they are not on the Christmas list to Santa.

I will try to post regularly even if it's just to share my sense of achievement at drilling a hole.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 25th October 2018 at 15:54..
Available from eBay
Old 1st December 2016, 10:05

mazdarazmataz is on a distinguished road

Yea those image wheels are always ridiculously expensive, and there have been a fair few customers unhappy with the finish on them.
Old 1st December 2016, 11:25

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Miracle wheel deals do happen on eBay sometimes. I got 7 original Aston Martin wire wheels for £80!
Old 1st December 2016, 11:36

What a fantastic bargain - I'll keep looking! I've now taken to looking at Oz alloys, although Andy recommends using MG ZS/ZT 17 "Straights" which do look good painted/powdercoated in white and are relatively cheap.

I'd also heard mixed reviews of Image Wheels although to be honest I sort of assumed if you are paying that much for a handcrafted product you'd have plenty of justification to get them to rectify any finish issues.

In the meantime I'll welcome any suggestions on retro/rally wheel alternatives either in white or silver that you think would look good on an RS200 replica.
Old 1st December 2016, 12:52

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Another thread i will be keeping a close eye on, haha
we may have a problem when he brings mine on a crate, ive broke lots of bones, so i can't do much at the moment.
Old 1st December 2016, 13:00

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

I really wanted a set of 5 spoke dished compomotives but theyre a bit out of my price range. The konigs will do me for now, even if theyre just to get the lines right. The MG wheels are actually very cheap to pick up. Have seen them go with good tyres for £100. Keep an eye on shpock. Lots of bargains to be had, that's where I found mine.

Who are RS Automotive? Do they mass produce the rear screen or was it second hand? I've only seen them on p4p at a cost of about 350.

Glad to see another thread for this kit and look forward to pinching ideas
Old 1st December 2016, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzy View Post
Another thread i will be keeping a close eye on, haha
we may have a problem when he brings mine on a crate, ive broke lots of bones, so i can't do much at the moment.
Sounds like yours is gonna get pushed off the side
Old 1st December 2016, 13:05

Wozzy, get Chris at Tribute to let the transport company know before he ships it. They may be able to put it on a lorry with a tail lift or fork lift - once it was off the lorry and in the ground it was relatively easy to dismantle the crate and I managed to lift/manoeuvre the rear clam/roof panel myself by standing in the screen area and lifting it under the door jam area.
Old 1st December 2016, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Sounds like yours is gonna get pushed off the side
HaHa
Old 1st December 2016, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyDS View Post
Wozzy, get Chris at Tribute to let the transport company know before he ships it. They may be able to put it on a lorry with a tail lift or fork lift - once it was off the lorry and in the ground it was relatively easy to dismantle the crate and I managed to lift/manoeuvre the rear clam/roof panel myself by standing in the screen area and lifting it under the door jam area.
good idea, i will mention it to him
Old 1st December 2016, 14:10

RS Automotive are run by Bill Watson and thy took over the original Kara then Mercury RS200 kit which was developed in the early nineties (www.evo200.com).

He's a really good guy and did me a good deal on a screen with louvres and tint cheaper than P4P. Don't be put off by him charging £15 for a brochure on the website.
Old 1st December 2016, 19:39

Paul L is on a distinguished road

SwiftyDS - So MRS200s are a bit like buses, none for ages, then two come along at once.

Jokes aside, is the four ring piece in this photo for bonnet spot lights?

As I've seen them on original cars, but not Redandy's original.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 1st December 2016, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyDS View Post
What a fantastic bargain - I'll keep looking! I've now taken to looking at Oz alloys, although Andy recommends using MG ZS/ZT 17 "Straights" which do look good painted/powdercoated in white and are relatively cheap.

I'd also heard mixed reviews of Image Wheels although to be honest I sort of assumed if you are paying that much for a handcrafted product you'd have plenty of justification to get them to rectify any finish issues.

In the meantime I'll welcome any suggestions on retro/rally wheel alternatives either in white or silver that you think would look good on an RS200 replica.
Will having the same size wheels all round cause trouble with the handling?
the later models have different sized wheels for this purpose, from what i have read on the forums
Old 1st December 2016, 19:56

Wheel suggestions huh....

How's about some......ronal teddy bears?
adult image
Old 1st December 2016, 20:01

Oh you wanted serious suggestions?

I reckon rota bm8 would be good, something with a bit of dish and offset to make yours stand out

hosting image
Old 1st December 2016, 21:53

Andy, yes it's the 4 lamp bonnet pod. I was surprised when it turned up in the kit as well! Andy did fit one later on but a nice add on.

Thanks for the wheel ideas.
Old 1st December 2016, 21:55

Wozzy, from what I've worked out you need at least a 20mm difference to rear tyres than front. Plenty of MR2s on 16 and 17" all round but you need say 195r40 fronts then 215 or 225r40 rears for tyres
Old 1st December 2016, 22:39

Exactly what I was going for. 205 on the front and 225 on the back. In saying that, I'm going to have 40mm spacers on the back and maybe only 20mm on the front as the cars not exactly square (as I've been led to believe). Will confirm when I've got some tyres. I don't think it's got any chance of handling like the MR2 that's underneath.
Old 3rd December 2016, 12:04

retro200 is on a distinguished road

here,s a few pics of my completed mrs200 if any of you guys need any tips/advice on your builds give me a shout ,mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 067.jpg (94.2 KB, 785 views)
File Type: jpg 066.jpg (96.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 059.jpg (95.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 069.jpg (94.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 061.jpg (94.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 3rd December 2016, 12:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Retro200 - Welcome to the forum Mick.

Your MRS200 looks great and I like the full bank of lights on the front.

It would will great if you could start a build thread and add a few more photos.

I've just started a MRS200 section in the useful info sticky.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...5&postcount=29

As I know I found it useful to see how other people did things "next door" on the Sammio section of the forum.

Cheers, Paul.