Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 18th April 2005, 13:20
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default Body Building

Hi Everyone.

You know how when you are building the car you think that things can't get any worse.................well I have a new problem.

Yes this last weekend we finally sorted the intercooler, our last problem solved! Yippee a step closer to the road.

Then MerlinMan looks at my bolted together body and rekons all my shut lines are wrong. 4 Hours later and we are still talkin filla and respray.

Has anyone tried fitting a body yet? have you needed to take dramatic steps to get the 'perfect' fit?

Regards to all

Trev
Available from eBay
Old 19th April 2005, 16:36
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Trev,

I'm about to go thru the same pain...I look at the panels and where they have to go and think uh oh...big c*ck up coming soon here I reckon...

John
MarlinTurbo
Old 20th April 2005, 22:15
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default body

I had struggled with the body when first attempting it, couldn't get anything to fit properly at first. I was using my donor car at the time and couldn't do much else on the build, I spent hours and was never that happy. I am now at the stage of refitting the body and am making reasonably good progress. I don't know what problems you guys are having but my first problem i remember was the clearance for the roll bar on the rear section, I spoke to mark who said give it a generous clearance in that area as any small inaccuracies are not as noticable with say a 10mm gap as opposed to 4mm gap. I also read John Watsons build sequence where he bolted all the body sections together and then levelled and secured. I think this is the best way to get reasonable panel gaps, but you will need the clearance on the roll bar and also the dash, I was told by Mark it may be necessary to trim the dash where the inner side panels butt up to it, I didn't have to on mine though.

I am going to paint my panels and found that removing the side panels is pretty scary, you have to be extremely carefull because you catch the dash at one end and the roll bar at the other. I decided to modify the design to make these panels easier to remove. I have now secured them with three nuts on studs accessed from inside the car, this required three holes drilling in the panel for access with a socket. I can now rigidly mount the sides to the dash because the main outer panel can be mounted independently of the inner section. I don't suppose this is a problem if your not painting the car but I didn't want to take any chances with an expensive paint job.

I have at last been told my seats are ready and will be collecting at Stoneleigh, so hopefully be able to have finished before the end of summer. Brian.
Old 20th April 2005, 22:45
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Brian,

Fitted both the sides temporarily this eve...found exactly the probs you described, interior side panels catch on the roll cage...PITA! So ground them further back.

More importantly I looked at the panels on the car and thought why can't the panels be fitted independantly! And voila, you've already done it!

"... I decided to modify the design to make these panels easier to remove. I have now secured them with three nuts on studs accessed from inside the car, this required three holes drilling in the panel for access with a socket. I can now rigidly mount the sides to the dash because the main outer panel can be mounted independently of the inner section..."

Brian did you mean "mount the sides to the dash"? Do you have any pics of your solution? I was thinking of three holes in the interior trim panel for access to new studs...use plastic blanking plugs to cover them...?

John
Old 24th April 2005, 21:22
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default Shut Lines

Thanks Guys,

As usual you have come up trumps.

Just one other point, how do your shut lines look? To be honest my nearside side panel and rear panel have a 3 mm gap.

Looks like loads of filla before a sray!

Trev
Old 25th April 2005, 21:12
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default side panels

With regard to inner side panel mounted to dash, I have the standard fixings on the lower flange/lip of the inner panel as normal, without the outer panel fitted it is obviously quite loose. The front edge of the inner panel overlaps part of the dash allowing a hole to be drilled straight through and then nut and bolt with rubber washer between. This is only one possible method, you will have plenty of options such as brackets fixed to chassis upper rail for instance, just go with what you thinks best. It is quite easy to solidly fix the inner panel without the outer panel in the way. I haven't decided what to do with the three access holes yet but I reckon they could be a nice design feature with the right finisher. HTH, Brian.