Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 11th March 2017, 00:22
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Have you seen Bloozebury's Canadian project? He is modifying a Fiero, widening, lowering, changing suspension geometry, fitting a transverse V8. There are many drawings, including a rear suspension that was originally strut and has been considerably altered. His website is: http://bloozeown.weebly.com/
and there's even more detail on the Dutch Fiero site : http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000116.html
Old 14th March 2017, 10:03

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default chassis

Hi all

Right-does anyone have an accurate set of dimensions for a Dino 246? I have a couple of sets of measurements from searching through my huge collections of dino books, and then several from the internet, that although similar are not the same!!! I'm after wheelbase, front track and rear track please. Or if anyone can point me in the right direction!! cheers

ian
Old 14th March 2017, 10:55

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default chassis

hi all

update--
just for reference I have - taken from the anthony curtis Ferrari Dino book which seems to be a definitive book on the dino written around 1990-
wheelbase 2343 mm (7 foot 8.25 inches)
front track 1416 mm (4 foot 7.75 inches)
rear track 1441 mm (4 foot 8.75 inches)
these tally (within 2/3 mm I guess from rounding up/down) with several other books on the dino. But I do have another book with a set giving a wider track? Could this be from the "chairs and flairs" car? or was it just wider tyres and flared wheel arches. The internet search gives varied dimensions so I've taken them as not to be an accurate account due to armchair writers giving their take on the car!!

cheers Ian
Old 14th March 2017, 19:09

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian
I have a Brooklands "road test" book for the Dino which is basically a compilation of magazine road tests for the car.

There do seem to be several different figures quoted in the different articles but the consensus seems to agree with those quoted in the "Motor" road test No 30/71 which gives
Wheelbase 7' 8"
Front track 4' 7"
Rear track 4' 8"

I'm inclined to believe the above figures as the magazine article has gone to the trouble of detailing a lot of the car's facts and figures including such esoteric facts as the King pin inclination angle (9 3 in case you are interested lol)

Neil
Old 15th March 2017, 00:46
Enthusiast

Hi, the official factory 246GT manual lists:
1425mm the front track (carreggiata a terra)
1430mm the rear track (carreggiata a terra)
my Italian is pretty basic but I think this is the measurement from vehicle centre to centre of wheel AT GROUND LEVEL.

The Ferrari brochure lists it as:
wheel base 92.2" in English (2340mm in French)
front track 56.1" (1425mm)
rear track 56.5" (1430mm)

The 206 GT is listed at rear=1400mm by the way. And the 'chairs 'n flares' would only have a different track if it had different offset - otherwise the centre of the wheel would be in the same place.

cheers
Ross in NZ
Old 15th March 2017, 01:02
Enthusiast

Ferrari would probably have measured in mm so the Imperial measurements are just approximate translations. I reckon the Factory manual and brochure are the best bet:
wb 2340mm
ft 1425mm
rt 1430mm
cheers
Ross in NZ