Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 13th July 2009, 14:38

scoobyhunter is on a distinguished road
Default guidance needed please

ok,ive now decided to fit my rover 214i engine/box into my buggy,ive got the complete lot mounted in the rear of her,so now i have the front brakes(discs) on the rear,what would be the best solution in the way of front brakes for her,bearing in mind i need a handbrake which i thought could be off a vw rear caliper mounted to vw discs?? yes i understand i will need to fit a brake force distributer of some sort because it will be seriously over braked on the rear,would vw golf rear system be enough? the buggy weight will be circa 450kg.your brainstorming will be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,andy
Available from eBay
Old 13th July 2009, 15:05

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

Use the same setup at the front as you have on the rear, use the standard hubs and get a set of driveshafts from the breakers, remove the shaft so you are left with just the hub end section and get it machined down so when it is fitted through the hub the rear face is flush. On the rear, fit a pair of handbraked rear calipers solely for the hand brake.

you will be suprised how good the distribution will be when using the same calipers all round without a proportioning valve. As long as the front brakes lock first then it will be fine - otherwise you need to fit a proportioning valve which cannot be operated/adjusted by the driver when seated as they test from one extreeme to the other.

Old 13th July 2009, 18:35

great help thankyou,do u know what rear handbraked caliper will fit my rover front discs/hubs? thanks again
Old 14th July 2009, 08:29

I'm afraid thats a trip to the breakers with a veriner caliper / tape measure to check rear disc widths vs caliper. MG did a rear vented ZR so that would be wider. Other than that there is a specific handbrake caliper available from Hi-Spec brakes which is not too bad value.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:42

great link that thanks,
and now for my next trick question.....................

now that i have a front wheel drive engine in the back of my buggy,what the hell am i going to do with the gear change system,unfortunatly its got steel rods and not cables!!!!
Old 15th July 2009, 09:35

Simples, turn the rod round and add a bit or convert to cable.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:46

spritely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyhunter View Post
ok,ive now decided to fit my rover 214i engine/box into my buggy,ive got the complete lot mounted in the rear of her,so now i have the front brakes(discs) on the rear,what would be the best solution in the way of front brakes for her,bearing in mind i need a handbrake which i thought could be off a vw rear caliper mounted to vw discs?? yes i understand i will need to fit a brake force distributer of some sort because it will be seriously over braked on the rear,would vw golf rear system be enough? the buggy weight will be circa 450kg.your brainstorming will be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,andy
Just a suggestion but Citroen BX handbrake is via the front calipers and would be a solution.
An adjustable bias valve (about 40 quid) for the brakes could be set and then rendered tamper proof for the test, very handy afterwards for altering bias for different road conditions with a lightweight car.
Old 16th July 2009, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritely View Post
Citroen BX handbrake is via the front calipers and would be a solution.
Forgot about the citroen BX handbrake, that would solve quite a few problems and probably cost less than getting a seperate handbrake caliper on the rear
Old 16th July 2009, 19:14

yes,im gonna trawl the scrappers on saturday,thanks.
with the engine sat in place theres not much room to fit a decent set of double a arms on the right side of car because of the engine being "to the right",theres quite a lot on the gearbox side though. the only way i can see is to get some longer driveshafts?chris do you know what will do/fit? i dont want only 6" long a arms like them bruddy ugly quadzilla or pgo buggy things.i like very wide arms!
Old 17th July 2009, 08:32

the local parts shop (the smaller one man band jobbies) should have a driveshafts catalogue to trawl through to make sure you get the right ends. It would probably be best to try and get hold of a suspension book to read through, otherwise you will probably end up with buggy that handles like a deathtrap
Old 17th July 2009, 13:11
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

It's a pitty it was not the Rover PG1 box (On 218's). They have different length driveshafts for there other cars (200,400, 600 & 800).
Old 17th July 2009, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
the local parts shop (the smaller one man band jobbies) should have a driveshafts catalogue to trawl through to make sure you get the right ends. It would probably be best to try and get hold of a suspension book to read through, otherwise you will probably end up with buggy that handles like a deathtrap
yes,suspension is an art but something i can manage as i make custom quad+atv a arms myself. i have a street legal yamaha banshee 370,you should see how wide she is! ill try post a link now.......

im currently converting her to reverse cylinder yam power valve system with zeeltronic programable ign and self made(designed by computer software) gp reverse cyl pipes,should be in the region of 80hp,(now shes circa 65hp,standard is 46hp)if anyones interested i can post link to my album.
regards andy.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:46

Some pictures of your build would be good to see.

limpabit used a linking driveshaft on his audi conversion to get equal length driveshafts.

you might think about getting a PG1 k-series box as it is stronger than the R65 and you can get LSD's for them easily
Old 17th July 2009, 15:21
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Just standard mg v6 driveshafts. That's how they come. By chance, the V6 uses a pg1 as well.
Old 17th July 2009, 19:13

my disc drive on my laptop is broke and i cant download the software for my new phone,if i picture textd someone by mobile could they be so nice as to post em for me plz??
Old 17th July 2009, 23:22
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

If you converted to PG1 box you could then use the cable shift from MGF - MGTF - Lotus Elise