Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 27th July 2009, 14:26

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road
Default IVA Day 2, Revenge of the tester....

No to be honest he was a helpful chap.

Unlike Tim I decided to drive over to Taunton, shadowed by my son with a tow rope. The weather was appalling and I discovered the newly fitted hood leaked from the top rail and water also dripped onto my knees. The exhaust came loose on the way there, I had not done up a bolt tight enough.
I was expection a fail on the VIN plate, as I didn't have one. I had bought one and punched the VIN on it, but used an upsidedown 5 instead of a 2 and cocked the whole thing up. Still there was a VIN welded to the N/S chassis.

Also the speedo became 'entertaining'. It is an ETB one with a hall effect pickup and I had calculated the pulse per mile. I had been surprised when I took it for an MOT that it read 15mph when my wife said I was doing 30, so I divided the pulses per mile by 2 and everything seemed OK. That was until I hit 35 leaving town when it suddenly indicated 70. From then on it indicated twice my speed, until I dropped below 35 when it read correctly. It must be picking up only one magnet when going slower than 35 and two when going faster.

On to the Test:
1. VIN Failed. Not only the missing plate BUT the Marlin VIN is on the wrong (N/S) side, and was spread over 2 lines.
2. Debate over the emisions. The Serria DOHC engine has the number on a paper label on the front of the engine. In 19 years its become illigible. However Haynes showed a carburetted DOHC so the emissions test was done for that.. phew! it passed.
3. No Yellow sticker within 100mm of brake fluid filler cap.
4. Radius failures.
a)The running boards were OK, but where they could be defined as mudguards they failed. The test allowed 1.5mm rad on GRP, unless it was a mudgard in which case it has to be 2.5
b)Nut and bolt heads inside the front wheel arch, and the nut on the sterring rack tie rod end.
c)two 'sharp' bits of plastic on the heater assembly.
5. Wiring. From the sidelights and repeater lamps needed to be in a sleeve

Surprises:
1. The Cobra seats passed. The marginal bit was the height of the slots for the full harness belts. The tester seemed to improvise the seat back height test.
2. Brakes: Failed first time round on the foot pedal to my surprise. However heating the brakes up and it passed. I'd done a brake test and it easily locked the wheels up, so I was surprised by that initial failure.
3. My awful bodge to insulate the petrol tank and provide drainage away from the exhaust was never even commented on.
4. Low exhaust, no comments except advising me to back of a test ramp instead of going off forward.

So where do I get nut covers from?
and where do I get rubber U section, 3mm internal width?
answers on a post card, or post on the forum!

I wasn't raining coming back and I've still got a grin on my face.
Available from eBay
Old 27th July 2009, 15:13

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

I'd try europaspares or car builder solutions
Old 28th July 2009, 09:09
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Well done, Chris, not too many points and they should be relatively easy to fix.
Good luck for the re-test!
I've lost my job so I am going to have to sell mine, it's gonna break my heart.
Tim
Old 28th July 2009, 09:26
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Damn. No warning? You must be gutted Tim. No chance of a getting another job in a reasonable timescale? You might not have to get rid of her...

If you do need to sell, remeber that cars that are on the road fetch more than those that aren't - so it may pay to fix the IVA issues you had and get a retest.
Old 28th July 2009, 09:37

Crikey Tim, thats bad news. I hope you can get another job soon.
Old 28th July 2009, 20:32
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default great car

Tim, sorry to hear that.Just found your flick site today, and your car is looking great,really like the wheels! what are they and what tyres?hope something turns up soon 4 you soon and you dont have to sell.good luck.
Old 28th July 2009, 20:57
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

That's really bad news, sorry to hear that. Like Jason says, i'm afraid in the current market climate you won't get much for an unfinished kit car.
I can understand you not wanting to spend any more money now, so maybe better to 'mothball' the car in your garage until you get back into work would be a better option.
Hope you find something soon....
...peter
Old 29th July 2009, 20:53
Enthusiast

I see Tim is serious...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marlin-Sportst...3A1%7C294%3A50

good luck with the sale Tim and I hope you get a good price after all the work you've put it........
Old 30th July 2009, 17:39
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for all your help over the months, I've really appreciated it.
Good luck to all you IVAers and good luck with the wiring when you put your new engine in Peter!
I hope I'll be back on the forum one day, but it won't be for a while as I was a naughty boy and have got kicked out of the house as well.
Tim
Old 31st July 2009, 07:27

Don't really know what to say Tim, but I hope you get everything sorted out
Chris
Old 20th August 2009, 09:03

IVA re-test booked for 28thAug at 11:00. at Taunton. First one to do a re-test there. Fee is £90

I'm trying to get a visit to DVLA at Exeter booked for the afternoon to get it registered.
Old 20th August 2009, 09:43
Enthusiast

Fingers Crossed Chris!
Old 28th August 2009, 14:49

Well I'm back, and it passed!

I'd taken photos of the fail items so it was a matter of showing a photo, and saying, "look - fixed" except for the missing VIN plate!

The tester seemed more than happy to spend most of the time discussing the position of VIN numbers on prodcution cars.

On the way home I got stopped by a Lady in Blue who ended up behind me at some temporary traffic lights. She got out and walked up and told me I didn't have a rear number plate. You should have seen her face when I told her it not only didn't have a rear one, but didn't have a front one, wasn't registered and didn't have a tax disc.

Still I showed her my insurance certificate, and my get out of jail free card, which is on the bottom of the VOSA appointment form that says you can drive an untaxed, unresistered vehicle to and from the IVA test. She then had to get onto the radio before letting me procede!

Next up - DVLA and attempt to get it registered.

I've booked my spray job, 23rd October. I'll take the car around to the sprayers workshop and remove all the panels etc. He thinks it would be easier and quicker if he does all the prep using his tools, so I will let him get on with it. Colour is going to be Rover metalic British Racing Green
Old 28th August 2009, 15:21
Enthusiast

Brilliant!

Now I have someone I can turn to when mine inevitably fails it's IVA!
Old 28th August 2009, 15:37

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

Congrats Chris, well done
Old 28th August 2009, 18:09
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default happy days!

Well done chris, bet your well chuffed!I am beaming also, as I have my dash,centre consul and door trim all done,finished in cool cream leather to match my seats.....IVA may be this year..
Old 29th August 2009, 07:08
Enthusiast

Well done Chris, nearly on the road at last!! Its a great feeling when you get that MAc certificate but don't forget to take a copy.
You must be the first Cabrio to pass the IVA if not the first Marlin ever?
Keep us posted on your paint job as that is still on my list of things to do
Old 29th August 2009, 09:18

Thanks guys. All I can say about the test process is that the tester at Taunton seemed to know about Marlins and concentrated on the areas that he knew were potential fails.
I think I had gone OTT over the fuel tank, he would have been happy with some form of heat shield rather than the huge frame I put around the tank with its own bottom and drainage holes. Funnily enough the structure seem to have fallen off already and I've now got just a sheet of thermal insulation under the tank.
Old 29th August 2009, 17:23
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Well done
Old 18th September 2009, 12:59
Enthusiast

5EXi girl is on a distinguished road
Default well done Chris, plus 25k spent on building a Sportster!?!!!

Just a quick message from us here at Marlin to say very well done Chris. This is probably one of the first Cabrio's to go through the new IVA and you should be very proud of yourself.

That aside I have just had a look on eBay at the Sportster that was up for sale in July. I was very surprised that the owner reckoned he's had spent 25k on building the car and its not even finished.

Knowing how much he spent with us it concerns me that may people will think you have to spend that kind of money to build a Sportster. We only charge just over 20k to build one here at the factory!

What do you guys think? Is this the type of money you have all spent and if so what are you spending it on to reach that kind of figure? I'm intrigued

ATB
Terry