Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 22nd September 2011, 13:24

p4spares is on a distinguished road
Default IVA chassis number for strangers

hi all,
im trying to sort a problem, but i cannot find a clear answer.
im not english, and i also some problems for understand some details.

my kitcar was made at SVA times, now with IVA there are some changes about the chassis number.
i found a post about MEV Exocet, seems MEV weld a plate to chassis and give a 'cosmetic plate' to rivet to chassis.

this is pretty clear, and i want to do the same.

my question is, where i can weld the plate?
IVA manual, at section 18.6 say "The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible position". not very clear. visible can be 'visible from outside', or visibile if you get into the car, or visible if you open the bonnet.

where the numner is welded/stamped in your chassis?
under the bonnet is acceptable?

and.. where is rivetted your 'cosmetic plate'?

thank you very much!
David
Available from eBay
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:59

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

David,
For IVA you need to have the VIN number stamped onto a plate welded to the chassis, or stamped on the chassis itself.

You also need a VIN plate.

These must be located on the RH side of the car in somewhere easily accessible. It is acceptable for it to be under the bonnet.

I failed the IVA because I didn't have a VIN plate and the chassis number was on a welded plate on the LH side of the car.

For the re-test I stamped the VIN number on the bulkhead at the back of the engine compartment and located the VIN plate next to it. It passed.
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:26
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Having suffered the same problem I understand its not really clear until its explained, or you read the words very carefully.

First the 'cosmetic plate' is referred to as the Manufacturers plate. It has the same information as the 'stamped in (or welded on) ' but also must state the maker (manufacturer of the kit) of the car, it can also include other data, see the IVA manual.

As Chris stated the Stamped in (welded on) is just the 17 characters you specify as the VIN and only these 17 characters, its location is also detailed in the IVA manual as Chris stated front RHS of chassis.

By visible it means you must be able to see and read it if you need too, it cannot be covered by plastic covers or obscured by pipework. If the inspector cannot easily see it or gently rummage to read it it will fail. Nothing can be removed to read it, unless its already removed for the test. Nothing can be replace during the test so it has to be compliant without whatever is removed.

The manufacturer's plate can be mounted anywhere you please, it can be a stick on label or a riveted plate. As long as its fitted for the test its compliant.

If a car is SVA compliant it will pass a IVA with only small alterations. The changes from SVA to IVA are/were to enable the IVA to be pan-European accepted as a regulations complacency test. That's what I was told by the inspector at *** (to protect the innocent) in front of a group of French visiting testers.

You should have no problem passing an IVA if the kit was designed pre IVA testing.

Hope that helps.
Old 24th September 2011, 04:56

j13scott is on a distinguished road

what is an IVA?

remote reboot
Old 24th September 2011, 08:30

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you are taking the p*ss and that link looks real doubtful, however IVA stands for Individual Vehicle Approval. In the UK its a test that a kit car has to go through before it can be registered for use on the road.

Last edited by Chris Cussen; 24th September 2011 at 08:36.. Reason: typo
Old 26th September 2011, 06:59

p4spares is on a distinguished road

hi,
thank you very much for your answers. now is much much more clear!
David