Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 20th December 2011, 12:18

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Gary - Would it be possible to do something like this for my boot?

I plan to have twin head rests so there wouldn't be much room for a boot hatch otherwise.
Old 20th December 2011, 17:49

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

I envisage having the same problem - so would be interested to know if it is possible.

That Ferrari V12 powered Sbarro in the pic has taken a few other styling cues from the 1950's Merc SLR. Nice car...
Old 20th December 2011, 18:12

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Agreed on the SLR inspired looks of the car pictured. I'm also surprised how much I like the white paint with blue detail.

Sbarro creations haven't always been quite so attractive though...

Old 20th December 2011, 21:24

Can't beat him for mad though

Old 21st December 2011, 07:15

Isn't that back wheel just a Zanussi washer/dryer drum with a Halfords plastic wheel trim glued on?

Still, so long as it has just one seat and weighs less than 550kg's you can drive it on a provisional licence, even if it has a Veyron engine in it.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread...
Old 21st December 2011, 07:17

I think he went for the designers job at Hot Wheels but never realised they were meant to be scale models.
Old 5th January 2012, 19:29

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

FINALLY GETTING A CHANCE TO MOVE ON WITH THIS TOMORROW....

Feels like nothing has happened but its been fiddly time consuming bits to sort out...
I have been working out the screen mouldings and getting the screen itself moulded and delivered to the screen company.
Patrice wants a single screen , so we have done that first....templates are cut for the full width but nothing cut in plastic yet.

Xmas closures have been a pain but should be picking up the parts tomorrow.

Then I can finish the centre bar , tonneau etc. and get the doors hung.

Then we are looking at prepping body and getting ready for paint etc....

Whoopee !!

I am really looking forward to seeing some colour on this one !
Old 5th January 2012, 19:39

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Colour?

Have you said what it's going to be?
Old 5th January 2012, 21:43

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
FINALLY GETTING A CHANCE TO MOVE ON WITH THIS TOMORROW....

Feels like nothing has happened but its been fiddly time consuming bits to sort out...
I have been working out the screen mouldings and getting the screen itself moulded and delivered to the screen company.
Patrice wants a single screen , so we have done that first....templates are cut for the full width but nothing cut in plastic yet.

Xmas closures have been a pain but should be picking up the parts tomorrow.

Then I can finish the centre bar , tonneau etc. and get the doors hung.

Then we are looking at prepping body and getting ready for paint etc....

Whoopee !!

I am really looking forward to seeing some colour on this one !

No you are just scared we will catch you up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we have done a little work tonight, Charlie suggested we clean the every bit of the existing bodywork back to the bulk head, that is the old part of the inner wings which came from the bulk head to the suspension towers, we hope to re shape the bulk head and may be try to ali clad some of it.

We have been talking about doors so it will be of particular interest to see the final solution from looking at it over the last few weeks it has to be external hinges.

Will post a photo of the bulk head tomorrow.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:14

Found a double bubble version of the rear end

Old 6th January 2012, 15:14

Roybo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Gary - Would it be possible to do something like this for my boot?

I plan to have twin head rests so there wouldn't be much room for a boot hatch otherwise.
have to agree i like the way that boot is done,
getting really interest in this project i've had a scimitar before and it appeals to me,how hard would a different headlight treatment be to do Gary
not knocking the hard work you've done but maybe something like this
http://images.hemmings.com/wp-conten...max_01_700.jpg
Old 6th January 2012, 18:03

Doesn't look that different to me. What bit are you wanting different, shape, position?

The G46 nose is different from the Spyder
Old 6th January 2012, 18:38

Gary - Having just driven 200 miles today with the roof down on the TVR I am looking forward to having the head rests behind me to keep my ears warm.

You say you haven't finished the full width screen yet. How high is it planned compared to the head rest?

Most cars appear to have the top of the screen about the same as the top of the headrest. Having finished my trip with a 'spirited' drive downt he bottom of the A34 and M3 I was thinking how much I appreciated not being hit in the face by the three figure wind blast.

I know you said there were rules about screen height, any chance of either explaining them or posting a link? I might have to work out some way of raising and lowering the seat depending in the speed.

If you could run a tape up from the bottom of the bodywork up to the top of the cockpit and then from the bodywork to the top of the planned screen I could plan what I need for seat/eye protection.

Cheers

Nick
Old 6th January 2012, 19:21

Aren't aero screens just there to deflect the airstream up and over your head while generating minimal drag rather than acting as a conventional windscreen that you look through?

If your sight line goes through the screen rather than over the top you'll need windscreen wipers and washer jets to comply with the construction 'n' use regs and so you can see where you're going if (when!) it rains.

I'm sure a full height screen is a possibility if you can't face getting high velocity wasps and bits of truck tyre carcass in your face, Porsche put one on the RSK in 1960 to create the RS60.

Doesn't spoil the looks imho (although those horrible fog lights do) and will make the car just that bit more practical. I'll be sticking with goggles and a crash helmet though.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 6th January 2012 at 19:23..
Old 6th January 2012, 20:26

WCA....thinking more the shape mate ,
although if they were pushed out slightly so as they go down
the sides, and the insides where rounder ala 240z maybe?
, not a biggy just my preference
although the covers make a difference

Last edited by Roybo; 6th January 2012 at 20:28..
Old 6th January 2012, 22:01

Towed = That is why I asked the question. Not sure what rules and regs apply. Don't want to ruin the lines but don't want to hit a pigeon at 120mph without a screen. It has made a mes all over the screen, I hate to think what it would have done to my face, with or without a helmet.

Rotbo - Sort of see what your saying. I had similar questions about the height of the bonnet bulge but they suggested a scoop to hide it which I think should work (Google Lancia D25). Having been there and seen the plastic I don't think there is too much of an issue with the lights.
Old 6th January 2012, 23:51

Quote:

Rotbo - Sort of see what your saying. I had similar questions about the height of the bonnet bulge but they suggested a scoop to hide it which I think should work (Google Lancia D25). Having been there and seen the plastic I don't think there is too much of an issue with the lights.
if you've seen it in the flesh 'plastic' then i'll take your word for it as with no paint a photo can be deceiving ,whens the next shows anyways i need to see it close up.
just like to add this is in no way a criticism of the car, just whati'd like to see on the car which obviously means nowt
Old 7th January 2012, 00:05

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

I've been pondering screen type/height. Recall the Construction & Use Regulations (1971 et al) used to state that the windscreen could be a max of 6" before wipers were required (latterly demister too?)

I also recall the Regs excluded the wiper requirement and height limit if the screen was made of individual sections i.e. 'Brooklands' type aeroscreens.

Haven't looked for anything definitive in respect of regs recently so look forward to contradiction. Lancelot with his experience should know.

In respect of pigeons - a pigeon hit the windscreen of my Vx Cavalier when driving at a mere 70 mph. The pigeon flew out of a hedge, travelling left to right when we met, so a modest terminal velocity but made a mess of the screen. Have had odd bits of debris / birds hit my cars at varying speeds on and off motorways (including unexpected small tree branches/assorted crap on country lanes).

As a dedicated 'Biker' I've suffered 'foreign object' experiences with everything from being pebble dashed by insects to a plank from a pallet board thrown up at motorway speeds. So full face for me on M-ways and fast A's and maybe open face with goggles (to pose) on others (maybe just baseball cap around town), but will also look to seating position so body not too high and also look at scuttle/aero screen heights.

I've 'ducked' (maybe flinched is a better word) to avoid foreign objects on occasions so not sure if a standard seat belt which allows some upper body movement is not a better bet than a slack racing harness...?
Old 7th January 2012, 16:34

Quote:
Towed = That is why I asked the question. Not sure what rules and regs apply.
The Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations 1986 Regulation 34 pretty much covers it:

Windscreen wipers and washers
34.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), every vehicle fitted with a windscreen shall, unless the driver can obtain an adequate view to the front of the vehicle without looking through the windscreen, be fitted with one or more efficient automatic windscreen wipers capable of clearing the windscreen so that the driver has an adequate view of the road in front of both sides of the vehicle and to the front of the vehicle.

(2) Save as provided in paragraphs (3), (4) and (5), every wheeled vehicle required by paragraph (1) to be fitted with a wiper or wipers shall also be fitted with a windscreen washer capable of cleaning, in conjunction with the windscreen wiper, the area of the windscreen swept by the wiper of mud or similar deposit.

Once you're looking through the windscreen rather than over it Regulation 31 also kicks in which means the 'screen must be made of safety glass.

Reading the regulations through I wasn't able to find anything regarding the flyscreen being acceptable in perspex, indeed, if you read through Regulation 31 to the end there's a note which says that the term 'windscreen' also includes 'windshields'. Will be doing a bit more research on that one...
Old 7th January 2012, 17:00

the way i'd read it is, as long as you look over the screen theres no regs as to what the screen should be made of.i think a better term would be wind deflector,
and a lot of '7' type cars use them and go through the iva tests ok