Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 10th August 2017, 15:40

Ashleyw is on a distinguished road
Default Sammio value??

After a change of job I am now moving to New Zealand and will be selling my sammio. i'm just wondering what values do they sell between? Mine is just a standard triumph herald 13/60. will add pics
Available from eBay
Old 10th August 2017, 16:43
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyw View Post
what values do they sell between?
That's the 64,000 dollar question!!!!

I would say IMHO, the average Herald based SAMMIO sells (here in the UK) for around £5,000 and the Vitesse based SAMMIO around £6,000.

That said every SAMMIO is different and as such donor history, build quality, finish ect ect all can and will affect the expected value and final selling price.
The most important thing is "kerb appeal" a nice set of wheels, shinny paint job and even a few simple decals can put hundreds if not thousands of pound on the selling price.

As I have tried to point out, the expected value and final selling price are two different animals so at the end of the day a SAMMIO is only worth "what some body will pay for it ", and from the looks-of-it the best place to sell a SAMMIO is in Europe

Good luck with you sale !!
Old 10th August 2017, 18:11

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yep, a Sammio is just like fine art in that it's worth exactly what someone will pay for it.

Put it on ebay for a seven day auction and it's likely to get bid up to about five grand, but put a genuine Picasso abstract painting on ebay and that might struggle to make five grand too.

A nicely finished car was being sold on ebay recently and it shot up to about £9k (as I recall) within 24hrs, then the seller ended the listing early and withdrew it from the sale. My guess is that somebody really wanted it and made a significant offer to the seller.

If you have time and don't necessarily need to sell it within a week, I'd suggest putting it on a classified ad on a dedicated classic car website with a second classified ad on ebay aimed at European buyers for a hell of a lot more than five grand.

As Micky points out above, a Miglia sold at a German classic car auction for E30,000 while the modified Dutch car apparently sold for E25,000. There's also this one currently for sale in France - http://classic-sport.fr/listings/roadster-triumph/ E31,500, now that's more like it.

Given the kerb appeal of these fantastic little sports racing cars I think it's criminal to dump them on ebay and hope for the best.

Also, have you considered shipping it across the World and using it in NZ? It'd be a rare beast there (assuming you can register it) and might just make a lot more money there than here.

Good luck whatever you choose to do with it.
Old 10th August 2017, 18:14

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I THINK THOSE VALUES MAY HAVE BEEN CORRECT A FEW YEARS BACK ..BUT NOT NOW ...Just my opinion , but I'd say an average Sammio would be £7000 ...A Vitesse based one £9-10,000.

As stated , spec is very important ...I've seen quite a few make £12,000 plus ...We saw a very nice Vitesse based one make £23,000 recently ...so its a bit of a 'piece of string' scenario ...but if you are advertising , what appears to be quite a nice little car , bearing in mind the Europeans will be watching ...I'd put it up for £7,500 ...maybe a bit more .....

Last edited by lancelot link; 10th August 2017 at 18:17..
Old 10th August 2017, 19:34
Enthusiast

E-bay might not be the best place to sell things but it gets a world wide audience.

Let's hope he does use E-bay so we can all watch and see.
But after what Mr Towed said, putting a buy-it-now price on the listing might be the wrong move.
Old 12th August 2017, 05:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Ashleyw – Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can’t add much more to the debate about the value.

Would Goodwood be too far to travel for you?

As even a ‘For Sale’ sign in the Revival car park might get some interesting offers.

Especially as you appear to have built a very nice Sammio.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 12th August 2017, 18:43
Enthusiast

This example is now on E-Bay with a strong reserve so we can all see what it actually sells for

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1626285753...p2471758.m4704

Old 12th August 2017, 19:03
Enthusiast

I think I might have to eat some "humble pie" !!!

It's been on just about an hour, over 100 hits, 15 watches, bids over £1,000 and been offered £4,500 via email.!!
Old 16th August 2017, 19:29
Enthusiast

Just over half-way through the auction and we have 3731 hits, 148 watchers, and a £4,400 bid.

In summery= a lot of interest, a few potential bidders but not much money on the table..
And to top it off, because I replied to an offer via email my E-Bay account has been restricted, oops!!
Old 16th August 2017, 19:45

I hope your email reply to the derisory offer of £4,500 was suitably scathing.

It's clearly worth a lot more than that, but I still don't believe an ebay auction is the way to achieve a decent price, just a quick sale if you're prepared to give it away for peanuts.

In case you haven't seen it, there's also a very nice looking Tribute 250 soft-top on ebay which hasn't reached anywhere near its value yet either -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250-SWB-SO...53.m1438.l2649

It does look like people bidding on ebay are all looking for bargains and don't want to pay more than what the parts alone cost the builder.

Having said that, I'd like to see a flurry of last-second bids take it up to a more acceptable figure for both you and the 250 seller.
Old 17th August 2017, 08:25
Enthusiast

Mr Towed I do like the colour of that 250.
Your probably right but I'v had it listed on "car-and-classic", "cars-from-uk" and even "Gumtree" at a fixed price but no interest or offers so where and how do I advertise it ??

That said I have had a call from a company who invited me to put my Bugatti http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C897341 in a coming Brookland's auction but the cost of doing so was enormous.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:58

Didn't realise that you'd offered it elsewhere Micky.

Try doubling or trebling the price and you may get some interest from potential buyers with deep pockets. I'd be pitching both your Bug and Spyder at around the £20k each mark as nobody with that sort of money to spend on a toy is going to be interested in a six or seven grand car, no matter how good it looks.

Failing that, Europe's largest classic car auction is right here in King's Lynn and attracts a lot of classic dealers. I believe their fee is likely to be less than Brooklands would charge, but, on the other hand, Brooklands is likely to get a higher price for your Bugatti.

Good luck however you choose to proceed.

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/classic-auctions/
Old 17th August 2017, 20:43

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

If it is so easy to re register a body change why aren't the sellers doing it?
Old 17th August 2017, 21:13

It is easy to register a body change, mine was done five years ago and it took only about half an hour, but, some people choose to delay that procedure as apparently it has been known to complicate the process of registering a car abroad that's been exported to another country.

Back to the question of the value of these cars, I took mine out for a fettling spin this afternoon, a trip of about two miles round the local bypass and through the Town to the gym (which is actually only about 500m away from my house) before heading back home the long way round again to give my car some exercise after I'd had some, erm, exercise.

During that journey of around ten minutes driving in total, my car was complimented by three complete strangers: a chap in his sixties walking his dog engaged me in conversation while I waited at traffic lights and told me how beautiful he thought my car was; a woman in her late twenties said 'wow, nice car' as she walked across a pedestrian crossing in front of me; and one of a group of young hipsters leaving the Railway station cried out 'Respect to the man in the silver car with no roof! Looking mighty fine, yay!' (or words to that effect) as I waited for the level crossing barriers to raise.

Couple that with the huge smile the car puts on my face every time I look at it, never mind actually drive it, and it's bloody priceless.

Unless you actually go out in one of these cars you won't know just how much everyone loves them.
Old 17th August 2017, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
If it is so easy to re register a body change why aren't the sellers doing it?
Good question ....As Towed says ..depending on country and the V5c in question , it can complicate things for an overseas buyer and that's the biggest market place in recent times for these little cars ...But its not always the case ...I think there is a general fear of DVLA and their unpredictability as well ....

It's actually easier now to register a re-body at the moment than ever before as they aren't currently inspecting them ..so if you have had to 'tweak' anything , it will go unnoticed ...Obviously VOSA can check cars randomly if they choose to ...but DVLA aren't at the moment ...it is taking longer though , I have 2 in the system at present ...6 weeks so far ...

Quote:
Unless you actually go out in one of these cars you won't know just how much everyone loves them.
Very true ....they do seem to appeal to all ages .....And women like them , which can be rare when it comes to classic cars ...
Old 18th August 2017, 08:35
Enthusiast

Mr Towed, Lancelot Link I also find the registration process is better, fill-out the forms correctly, include a few photo's and some build details such as a link to a thread on this site helps no-end.

The general public of what-ever age just warm to these cars I'll never forget pasting a group of vagrants sat on a bench, cider cans in hand. As I passed they all stood up and saluted

Happy days
Old 18th August 2017, 09:47
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
....I'll never forget pasting a group of vagrants sat on a bench, cider cans in hand.
And just beat them up if they don't like your car
Old 18th August 2017, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
And just beat them up if they don't like your car
I think Micky1mo was going to cover them in wallpaper ....

I've built several cars over the years of various different styles but it is the S*mmio and similarly styled cars that have had the most all round appeal ...

I agree that they are under valued ..possibly my fault initially for pushing them as a cheap product , combined with their reputation for being a bit 'basic' ..but its a bit like Vauxhalls having a reputation for being rusty ...in many cases the finished cars and more recent builds don't deserve to be tarred with that brush .....
When you look at the donor prices rising and anything classic being deemed as an investment , they do deserve to get decent returns ...They are more 'classic' than the glue-ons in many ways ...I think Toweds expectations are a bit high , but a nicely finished example with the right bits should be 5 figures nowadays ...

Doors , bootlids , retro interiors etc will make a difference when trying to get top dollar ...no doors doesn't bother me at all ..even doored examples tend to be stepped into ...but I think the buyers will lean towards a doored example over a non doored one ...
Old 18th August 2017, 14:23

We'll see...
Old 18th August 2017, 18:51
Enthusiast

Less than 24hrs to go until auction end and the summery remains the same.
Which is = plenty of interest, some potential bidders but not a lot of money on offer.

To date == 5,687 hits, 171 watchers, £4,500 bid

I do hope things will improve over the last 24hrs.