Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Seven Style builds

Seven Style builds Westfields, Caterham, Dax Rush, Luego, Robin Hood, Tiger, Locust, MK, RAW, Quantum, you name it, you're building it, share it here.

Old 31st August 2009, 17:23

Greg.w is on a distinguished road
Default Cheapest kit car

Hi there

1st post so let me know if I dont do something sorrectly etc lol.

Well basically im getting a lock up garage from my local council because i want to start a track car build. At 1st i was deciding between a 205,classic mini,etc. But now im serously thinking about a kit car for the sheer speed of the things and the rarity.

The car will be a work in progress over the next 1-2 years. It will be a track car until i decide i can insure it(im 18 just now).

Im also a mechanical engineer for a oil firm so i have basic knowledge of everything electrical and mechanical.I can also weld a little but i would want as little(referably none)welding needed as possible.

Right well the kind of style i like is the tiger r6 type.

But my question to you bunch of (hopefully) helpful guys is....

Whats kit car options do i have?Can you give me the cheapest ones to go and investigate?but i dont want it to be cheapy(if that makes sense lol)

Thanks alot

Greg
Available from eBay
Old 31st August 2009, 18:00
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.w View Post
Hi there

1st post so let me know if I dont do something sorrectly etc lol.

Well basically im getting a lock up garage from my local council because i want to start a track car build. At 1st i was deciding between a 205,classic mini,etc. But now im serously thinking about a kit car for the sheer speed of the things and the rarity.

The car will be a work in progress over the next 1-2 years. It will be a track car until i decide i can insure it(im 18 just now).

Im also a mechanical engineer for a oil firm so i have basic knowledge of everything electrical and mechanical.I can also weld a little but i would want as little(referably none)welding needed as possible.

Right well the kind of style i like is the tiger r6 type.

But my question to you bunch of (hopefully) helpful guys is....

Whats kit car options do i have?Can you give me the cheapest ones to go and investigate?but i dont want it to be cheapy(if that makes sense lol)

Thanks alot

Greg
Cheapest way is probably a LowCost or Locust. It's a seven lookalaike. You can even get plans for the chassis and there is a book by Ron Chapman. It's a bit of a challenge though - you see plenty of part finished (and possibly bodged) ones for sale on Ebay.

Robin
Old 31st August 2009, 18:07

Greg.w is on a distinguished road

nah sorry i really dont like the look of them.not the car itself but just doesnt look professional.

anymore?been looking at robin hood and tiger just now.any others?or info on them 2?
Old 1st September 2009, 07:40

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

I would seriously look at a part finished build off ebay or in the back of which kit or other magazine. It will be the cheapest way of buying the kit and most of the bits
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:48

keztec is on a distinguished road

if you go for a robinhood dont get one with the stainless monocoque chassis,i had a series 3a and it was horrible,they also suffer from stress cracks
i had a tiger super 6 before that and it was fantastic,wish i had never sold it
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:02

mikeross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
I would seriously look at a part finished build off ebay or in the back of which kit or other magazine. It will be the cheapest way of buying the kit and most of the bits
Yeah I definitely agree.. I'm trying to finding aftermarket kit parts online because in that way I can save on costs.. However, finding the specific kit you'll like requires a little patience..