Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds

Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds In a Vortex with your Phantom build? Share your build experiences here.

Old 19th April 2006, 10:49
Kit Car Dreamer

Chris G is on a distinguished road
Default Isle of Wight Phantom

Hi,
I bought the first kit - chassis number 001 back in 2001, it took me four years to build it (built it twice- first time to get everything to fit - stripped it, painted body then second build installed all the extras ect) and I registered it in October 2005.
I live on the Isle of Wight and I believe Eddy put a couple of pictures of my car on the gallery. I'll send some more pictures later.

My donor was a low mileage Stirling automatic, the main mods to the car are: I have fitted electrically retractable mirrors from a Toyota which entailed drasticaly altering the door tops and I have installed an electrically adjustable rear view camera hidden above the rear number plate, the monitor is hidden in the dash below the two centre vents and is powered down for viewing. The monitor also doubles as a free to air TV. The build was straight forward, the SVA test was long - four and a half hours and the registration was frustrating as I was given duff info by the DVLA but I ended up with a new plate.

I'm coming up to the Stoneleigh show on the Sunday so I hope to see some of you there.
Available from eBay
Old 19th April 2006, 16:33
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Welcome Chris, I guess this must be your car....

Would be interesting to find out where each car is from 001 to ??? for historical record.

John
Old 19th April 2006, 20:50
Enthusiast

ricola is on a distinguished road

Chris' car is the blue one. Welcome on board here Chris!

I've got chassis number 1 too, I guess you have a later style numbering system?

Rich
Old 19th April 2006, 23:10
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

nice car ! More pictures please.

Quick question about your number plate. Where did you get the stick-on plate made up and how did you get the dvla to give you a new number ?

Ken.
Old 20th April 2006, 12:23
Kit Car Dreamer

Default Isle of Wight Phantom

Mine was the first production chassis 001 presumably the other 01 was the first pre production demonstrator.

I got the plates from Framptons, very good service.

Registration - I will try to be brief, as I live on the Isle of Wight it costs me around £40 in ferry charges to drive 5 miles north. So I contacted DVLA Swansee to organise the registration inspection for the same day as the SVA test (Mitcham), they said I didn't need the inspection, just send or take the documents to the local office. I arrived at the local office with the documents to be told I need an inspection. £40 later I arrived for the inspection which took 2 minutes. I was then told I would have a Q plate, I was intending to go for an age related plate but as I didn't have a V5(Swansea had the V5 as the donor was an insurance write-off) but if I produced reconditioning documents for the engine and gearbox then I could have a new registration. This I did.

http://zombeh.dyndns.org/~chris/DSCF0002.JPG

http://zombeh.dyndns.org/~chris/DSCF0049.JPG
Old 20th April 2006, 12:37
Enthusiast

Chris,
Where did you get your clear side indicators? They seem bigger than most of the aftermarket ones I've seen...

Cheers, Rich
Old 20th April 2006, 12:55
Kit Car Dreamer

Hi Rich,
The indicators are off the shelf at Hallfords, they fitted perfectly into the indent.

Chris
Old 20th April 2006, 13:22
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

was looking at the wrong gallery

Chris, would it be ok if I upload those to pictures to the Phantom gallery on Madabout?

Cheers, John
Old 20th April 2006, 14:30
Kit Car Dreamer

Hi,
Yes, please put them in the gallery, I will send some more pic's when I get a chance.

Chris
Old 8th May 2006, 22:45
Kit Car Dreamer

phantom13 is on a distinguished road
Default phantom13 calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G
Hi,
I bought the first kit - chassis number 001 back in 2001, it took me four years to build it (built it twice- first time to get everything to fit - stripped it, painted body then second build installed all the extras ect) and I registered it in October 2005.
I live on the Isle of Wight and I believe Eddy put a couple of pictures of my car on the gallery. I'll send some more pictures later.

My donor was a low mileage Stirling automatic, the main mods to the car are: I have fitted electrically retractable mirrors from a Toyota which entailed drasticaly altering the door tops and I have installed an electrically adjustable rear view camera hidden above the rear number plate, the monitor is hidden in the dash below the two centre vents and is powered down for viewing. The monitor also doubles as a free to air TV. The build was straight forward, the SVA test was long - four and a half hours and the registration was frustrating as I was given duff info by the DVLA but I ended up with a new plate.

I'm coming up to the Stoneleigh show on the Sunday so I hope to see some of you there.
Phantom 13 I was at Stoneleigh on Sunday met Ricola and Lindsay no other phantoms to be seen! Hope to meet next year on Saterday.
Old 9th May 2006, 08:23
Enthusiast

Glad you found us John!
Rich
Old 9th May 2006, 09:01
Kit Car Dreamer

Hi phantom13,
I was at Stoneleigh, I was parked next to Normans car, Rich has put some pictures in the Stonleigh thread showing my blue car. Sorry to have missed you it would have been good to have a chat.
Old 2nd June 2006, 23:01
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Chris can you remember what car your winscreen washers came off ? I think you said they were fom a Renault but I can't remember which one.
Old 5th June 2006, 07:54
Kit Car Dreamer

Hi,
Sorry, I can't remember which model they came from, I visited a scrap yard and removed any washers that were mounted below the bonnet line, I collected about four sets and found these that were from a large Renault to be the most adaptable and then made some simple brackets to fit them below the bonnet line on the phantom.
Old 5th June 2006, 08:30
Enthusiast

Ken,

I plan on using Peugeot 405/Alfa GTV wiper blade mounted washers, if you get them from the scrappy you will be able to get all the neat fittings and they work very well, had some on my Libra and definitely plan to fit them to the Phantom..

pic is as sourced from scrappy

Rich