Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th August 2016, 13:23

David_W is on a distinguished road
Default Registration

Hi all,

First time on the forum and I’d appreciate some guidance on vehicle registration. I’ve read a lot on this but I’m trying to understand the subtleties of how it would be applied on my potential project.

I already own a suitable donor car for the kit car project I’m considering. It has a cool number plate which I’d like to keep (it’s only 6 digits, so would look better than a random 7 digit plate assigned by the DVLA).

The car I’m planning to build would not use the donor’s chassis or main structure, but it will use several major components, so I would be expecting to receive an ‘age related plate’.

Is there any way I can transfer my donors plate to the completed kit car? The donor car is currently on SORN without an MOT, so would the following laborious process work?

1) Repair the donor car sufficiently for it to scrape through an MOT.
2) Put the donor registration on a Retainer.
3) Get a random period plate issued on the donor
4) Build the kit taking lots of photos to prove the year of the donor.
5) When complete, get DVLA to issue a random age related plate to the kit car.
6) Transfer the original Retained plate from the donor onto the kit car.

Would this work or is there an easier way?

Is stage 6 even allowed? (i.e. replacing an allocated age related plate with an alternative from the same year or earlier?)

Assuming there isn’t a way to keep my existing plate (and I’d prefer an age related plate to a Q plate) does the donor car need to have an MOT when I start the process, or does it just need to be on the DVLA database?

Many thanks
David
Available from eBay