Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Contact         Home of UK kit cars - Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th August 2016, 14:23
David_W David_W is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3
David_W is on a distinguished road
Default Registration

Hi all,

First time on the forum and Iíd appreciate some guidance on vehicle registration. Iíve read a lot on this but Iím trying to understand the subtleties of how it would be applied on my potential project.

I already own a suitable donor car for the kit car project Iím considering. It has a cool number plate which Iíd like to keep (itís only 6 digits, so would look better than a random 7 digit plate assigned by the DVLA).

The car Iím planning to build would not use the donorís chassis or main structure, but it will use several major components, so I would be expecting to receive an Ďage related plateí.

Is there any way I can transfer my donors plate to the completed kit car? The donor car is currently on SORN without an MOT, so would the following laborious process work?

1) Repair the donor car sufficiently for it to scrape through an MOT.
2) Put the donor registration on a Retainer.
3) Get a random period plate issued on the donor
4) Build the kit taking lots of photos to prove the year of the donor.
5) When complete, get DVLA to issue a random age related plate to the kit car.
6) Transfer the original Retained plate from the donor onto the kit car.

Would this work or is there an easier way?

Is stage 6 even allowed? (i.e. replacing an allocated age related plate with an alternative from the same year or earlier?)

Assuming there isnít a way to keep my existing plate (and Iíd prefer an age related plate to a Q plate) does the donor car need to have an MOT when I start the process, or does it just need to be on the DVLA database?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote
Available from eBay

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +0. The time now is 07:47.

copyright © 2000-2020
terms and conditions | privacy policy