Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th December 2008, 18:34
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring

Hi everyone
Thanks for your words of encouragement! Can anyone help with these questions?
1. I think part of the wiring problem is that its an E46 engine but the immobiliser (EWS 3) (and key transponder I guess) are from an E39. Is this workable? Has anyone wired up an EWS 3 ?
2. The Marlin speedo says its operating voltage is 20-30. Do I need a voltage doubler in there somewhere?
3. The premier wiring loom has a wire for the rear fuel pump but not the front one. Can I just wire both pumps together from this single wire? I found a wire on the ECU for the fuel pump relay, maybe I should be using this + putting in a relay for the front one?
Also, has anyone fitted the Marlin supplied exhaust system with side intakes?
Thanks
Tim
Available from eBay
Old 15th December 2008, 18:46
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
2. The Marlin speedo says its operating voltage is 20-30. Do I need a voltage doubler in there somewhere?
Sounds to me like they have supplied you with a truck speedo! I have never heard of a car speedo running off this voltage. Could be they have supplied you with the wrong speedo or perhaps its just the manual that is wrong. Can you scan it so I can have a proper look?

Quote:
3. The premier wiring loom has a wire for the rear fuel pump but not the front one. Can I just wire both pumps together from this single wire? I found a wire on the ECU for the fuel pump relay, maybe I should be using this + putting in a relay for the front one?
Tim
On the E30 there is a relay assembly for the fuel pump that is part of the engine management. I guess you will have the same - in which case better to use this than the one in the Premier wiring loom.

Robin
Old 15th December 2008, 20:11
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Hi Timbo
I have the Marlin side exhausts and i must say i wouldnt change them they give a very nice tone.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:44
Enthusiast

Hi Robin
Speedo instructions are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33105452@N05/
I'll do some more digging to see if I can find the fuel pump relay. The engine only came with a couple of relays, and all the wires to Module 4 in the ECU had been cut short, so guessing I will have to put one in. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks Stuart, do you have any pics of your exhaust?
Tim
Old 15th December 2008, 21:10
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi everyone
Thanks for your words of encouragement! Can anyone help with these questions?
1. I think part of the wiring problem is that its an E46 engine but the immobiliser (EWS 3) (and key transponder I guess) are from an E39. Is this workable? Has anyone wired up an EWS 3 ?
Also, has anyone fitted the Marlin supplied exhaust system with side intakes?
Thanks
Tim
Hi Tim,
1. i'm just studying the e46 wiring diagrams at the moment. My car is running with an e30 M20 engine, but the e46 M52 is a lot more complicated and sitting on an engine stand right now! I've also invested in an e46 Bently workshop manual which is american but has all the wiring diagrams printed out so easier to follow. My understanding so far is that you need a DME (ecu) and EWS and key that are all matched and from the same car. Whether a DME/EWS/key from a e39 car will work on an e46 engine, I cannot comment (but Patrick might know as he is our resident BMW expert!)
I plan to draw out the EWS wiring to make myself a wiring diagram with the minimum set of connections. Perhaps you can test it for me?

2. I didn't by the Marlin speedo but as Robin says it does sound odd. On the e30 diff there is a speedo sender that works fine with my Autometer gauge. Not sure if the e46 diff has the same....

3. I used the Premier loom. I have a low pressure pump at the back of the car that pumps fuel from the tank up to the swirl pot. (Do you have a swirl pot?) I used the premier pump lead for the low pressure pump and that runs continually when the ignition is switched on. The high pressure pump should be run from the BMW fuel pump relay that is operated by the DME. It's one of the two relays I can see in your photo on your Flickr site.
accordng to the Bently manual it'll have the following leads:
DME pin 10 -> White/Violet (thin wire) ->Relay pin 4
Fuse 3 20A (engine fuses) -> Red/white (thin wire) -> Relay pin 8
Supply via 15A fuse ->Red/Violet (thick wire) -> Relay pin 6
Relay pin 2 -> White/Black (thick wire) -> to Fuel pump +ve terminal.
The -ve pump terminal goes to chassis.

Hope that helps,

Peter
Old 15th December 2008, 21:26
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

As I understand regarding EWS is that the key, ECU and EWS unit need to match in order for it to work properly. In Richards car, the M52B28 is E36 based which means only the key and EWS unit need to match up IIRC. Where as in the newer ones all the elements are coded to each other. I'll ask Richard he knows the wiring of these things a lot better than me.

It should be possible to disable / bypass the EWS stuff in the ECU if you can find somebody who knows what they are doing. Obviously you loose a security feature but that can be substituted with an after market alarms / immobiliser.
Old 16th December 2008, 07:29
Enthusiast

Rich is on a distinguished road

Based on what I have read Patrick is correct. You need to have matching Key, EWS & ECU for the later models.

If you do not have these you should be able to have the ECU coding disabled. It just means you will need to add an after market immobiliser.
Old 16th December 2008, 07:50
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I would say that you either have the wrong speedo - or the right speedo and the wrong instructions. I guess the manufacturer makes a 24v version for coaches, trucks and so forth which use a 24v system instead of 12v.

I suggest you contact the manufacturer directly - they should be able to tell from the part number.

Robin
Old 16th December 2008, 09:59
Enthusiast

Thanks. I think I will ditch attempts to connect up the E39 EWS and try to get it disabled. I worked out what most of the wires out of the EWS were for, but, like yours sounds Peter, there's a chunk missing, so it was difficult to work out where to connect them. The main one is from pin33 from module 4 of the DME to the EWS, but whether this is sufficient I don't know. For example there is a wire for the K-bus on the EWS but I don't think I've got a K-bus?!
Sorted out the speedo - wrong instructions!! cheers, Robin!
Got a grip on the fuel pump, thanks Peter, I will need to put in a relay for it and run it from the DME (the two relays in the picture were the DME main relay and the Uploader relay terminal 15). I invested in a wiring cd from Ebay which has turned out to be brilliant.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:46
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks. I think I will ditch attempts to connect up the E39 EWS and try to get it disabled. I worked out what most of the wires out of the EWS were for, but, like yours sounds Peter, there's a chunk missing, so it was difficult to work out where to connect them. The main one is from pin33 from module 4 of the DME to the EWS, but whether this is sufficient I don't know. For example there is a wire for the K-bus on the EWS but I don't think I've got a K-bus?!
Sorted out the speedo - wrong instructions!! cheers, Robin!
Got a grip on the fuel pump, thanks Peter, I will need to put in a relay for it and run it from the DME (the two relays in the picture were the DME main relay and the Uploader relay terminal 15). I invested in a wiring cd from Ebay which has turned out to be brilliant.
Glad you figured it out.
I forgot there are three relays in the e-box, not sure which ones i've got as its all down at my lock up.
Please let me know if you find someone who can/will disable the ews connection on the DME.
I spoke to one guy at Hounslow who wasn't keen to take it on. (I don't think its that easy or all the chavs would be driving round in stolen beemers )

Peter
Old 17th December 2008, 10:23
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

[.
Please let me know if you find someone who can/will disable the ews connection on the DME.
I spoke to one guy at Hounslow who wasn't keen to take it on. (I don't think its that easy or all the chavs would be driving round in stolen beemers )

Peter

Try this guy - he has converted Compacts to 2.8, raced Beemers etc and knows a lot about the electrics:

Nick at EVO
07768 400048

I think he is based in Nottingham?
Let me know how you get on
Mike
Old 17th December 2008, 10:42
Enthusiast

Thanks Mike
I'm off on hol today but will give him a call when I get back