Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 23rd November 2009, 22:16
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Some positive news ...
So, I asked the BMW dealership guys to sort out the wiring, but, they wouldnt work on it due to 'non-standard' wiring and 'liability issues'. So, ordered a new ECU, immobiliser and key from Ebay (190 quid later), went down this morning, fitted it in 5 mins and hey presto it starts! Drove it home in the rain, loved every minute
So took it for an MOT, failed on left hand lambda emissions (RHS passed no prob, same fail as IVA), everything else fine. B.....! Friendly MOT man would have passed it on one side but was worried IVA man would notice that both side exhausts hadn't been tested so fair enough.
When I get that sorted, it should pass the IVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A passing BMW mechanic suggested swapping over the lambda sensors (I had already replaced the LHS one with a new one tho, didnt seem to make any difference) or air leak on the intake side. Ummm.
It wouldn't go below 1.13. off to friendly local garage man tomorrow. At least I have a diagnostic plug he can communicate with now!!
Am thinking about an abacus like device in the cockpit to count down from 50 starts
Then the BMW dealership wants to charge me 1 hour labour (90 quid plus VAT I presume). I said, what for, you haven't done anything!! So eventually they agree, so at least that didn't cost me anything!!
Any ideas on LHS emissions welcome!!
Peter, tempted by your suggestions to bypass EWS. Very interested to hear possible solutions.
Is there a company who will re-programme the ECU, immobiliser and key if I sent it off to them?? Just a back-up if new system fails me!!
Cheers
Tim
Old 24th November 2009, 16:47
Enthusiast

Hurrah, I have an MOT!!!!!!
After a lot of faffing about, including swapping the lambda sensors, re-wiring the lamdba sensors etc, I tried taking the exhaust apart and sealing it with some exhaust sealant. With a bit of fiddling here and there it then passed the emissions test.
And friendly local garage man didn't charge me any labour!!!
Next step, book the IVA re-re-test
Old 25th November 2009, 07:54

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Phew! At last. Good luck with the re-test.
Old 30th November 2009, 20:19
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Some positive news ...
.... ordered a new ECU, immobiliser and key from Ebay (190 quid later), went down this morning, fitted it in 5 mins and hey presto it starts! Drove it home in the rain, loved every minute
At least I have a diagnostic plug he can communicate with now!!
Am thinking about an abacus like device in the cockpit to count down from 50 starts
Peter, tempted by your suggestions to bypass EWS. Very interested to hear possible solutions.
Is there a company who will re-programme the ECU, immobiliser and key if I sent it off to them?? Just a back-up if new system fails me!!
Cheers
Tim
Hi Tim,
good to see you got your car going again! I wonder if whatever blew that engine fuse also took out your original EWS or ECU?
That might expalin why the BMW stealer couldn't communicate with it and would explain why replacing both got the car going again without reprogramming it.
If you look on ebay there are some kits with software called 'carsoft' that claims to be able to re-synchronise the key, EWS and ECU but i've not got any real experience in using it.
I'm still researching aftemarket EMS systems which look like some real fun having your own mapping but it works out very expensive. About £1k for the box, £600 for mapping and about £150 to change the manifold and throttle body. Of course if you look at M3 throttle bodies and custom headers to take advantage of the EMS your proabably talking another few hundred quid or more. So quite an investment!!
I may be going back to plan A which was to get the BMW ECU working again!

Did you ever find what caused the fuse to blow??
Old 1st December 2009, 20:57
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Hi Tim,
good to see you got your car going again! I wonder if whatever blew that engine fuse also took out your original EWS or ECU?
That might expalin why the BMW stealer couldn't communicate with it and would explain why replacing both got the car going again without reprogramming it.
If you look on ebay there are some kits with software called 'carsoft' that claims to be able to re-synchronise the key, EWS and ECU but i've not got any real experience in using it.
I'm still researching aftemarket EMS systems which look like some real fun having your own mapping but it works out very expensive. About £1k for the box, £600 for mapping and about £150 to change the manifold and throttle body. Of course if you look at M3 throttle bodies and custom headers to take advantage of the EMS your proabably talking another few hundred quid or more. So quite an investment!!
I may be going back to plan A which was to get the BMW ECU working again!

Did you ever find what caused the fuse to blow??
Just seen this interesting ad on eBay but they are in Canada...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories
Old 1st December 2009, 22:15
Enthusiast

Hi Peter
Thanks for the ebay tip, I've emailed them for further details. It would be handy to have a spare re-programmed set available in case the same problem strikes again. 190 quid a time for a new matching DME, EWS and key is becoming rather expensive! I have discovered that a Siemens MS42 part number 5WK9037 is a suitable replacement for the 5WK90329 that was with the original engine (the late 1998 version got superceded by about 2000/2001 but seems to work OK).
At the moment, travelling around around with a spare working set (which fortunately only takes 5 mins to fit) seems the cheapest/most practical solution, if not ideal.
Didn't realise the aftermarket bypass solutions are so expensive otherwise would have been sorely tempted by that route myself.
Its a shame because the engine itself is great when its going
Never found out what caused the fuse to blow, but you are right, it must be linked to the rolling code not getting back to the EWS.
Anyway, it started OK this morning. Hoping for the same for IVA re-test next Monday, will be wrapping up with about 20 layers if this morning is anything to go by!!!
Cheers
Tim
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:01
Enthusiast

This is the reply I got:
Hi,
Usually Cost is about 99$ for Programing, But im recommending do Change the DME Password to Vergin State and the EWS to Version State. This Kit would be better to use it for you Car, since it has the DME VIN and the EWS VIN stored in the Kit.
Cost would be 199$ without Delivery.
BR
- rpmotorsportca

I'm not sure I'm any the wiser...
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:29
Enthusiast

Quote:
This is the reply I got:
Hi,
Usually Cost is about 99$ for Programing, But im recommending do Change the DME Password to Vergin State and the EWS to Version State. This Kit would be better to use it for you Car, since it has the DME VIN and the EWS VIN stored in the Kit.
Cost would be 199$ without Delivery.
BR
- rpmotorsportca

I'm not sure I'm any the wiser...
Me none the wiser either?

I also wrote to them and asked...

Are you able to modify my DME so that the security is disabled so that I don't need the EWS or coded key?

and they answered....

Disabling the Security System is not recommended because it might mess up the Flash memory

Anyway, good luck for your IVA re-test next week. Fingers crossed!!

...peter
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:31
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Disabling the Security System is not recommended because it might mess up the Flash memory
Doesn't give you a lot of confidence when they use technical terms like that...

Sounds to me like a young techi who plays with things until it works - not really knowing why. Any of you guys who have an electronics background will know what I mean!

Robin
Old 5th December 2009, 21:01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi Peter
I have discovered that a Siemens MS42 part number 5WK9037 is a suitable replacement for the 5WK90329 that was with the original engine (the late 1998 version got superceded by about 2000/2001 but seems to work OK).
Tim
Hi Tim,
just read this again....
Do you know if they all have the same engine maps? Not sure if the bmw part number defines the map or just the hardware.
thanks
Peter
Old 7th December 2009, 21:01
Enthusiast

Hi all
Today is a day when I can report some good news!

IVA PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite the ludicrously inclement weather conditions which might have persuaded a more sane man than me to trailer it down, I drove the 50+ miles to Taunton (am getting quite familiar with the route by now, just as well as visibility at 50 mph in driving rain with no windscreen was virtually non-existent!).
So we re-calibrated the speedo, so it passed, although I reckon his machine was miles out, cos I got overtaken on a little country road on the way back by a tiny little Toyota thing (yeah I know, I know, but I was taking it steady given the conditions!) and looked at my speedo which said 70mph! I reckon I was doing about 50 at the time.
And the left hand exhaust, well, say no more on this but I got a lucky break.
Next stop, DVLA!!
Is this the first M52 Sportster to get through IVA?

Well its been pretty tough, but I'm nearly there now. I just want to say thanks to all of you for your encouragement, help, support and words of wisdom. I hope to meet up with you sometime to express my thanks in person, but your helpfulness and advice has been much appreciated during the more difficult moments (and there have been a lot of those!).
All the best
Tim

PS Peter, I think the bmw part number must define the hardware, because the donor manual 2.5 engine ECU had the same part number as my own 2.8 auto tourer (5WK90329), hence how I was able to interchange them successfully (for a while at any rate!). I would presume that a 2.5 would have a different map to a 2.8??
Old 7th December 2009, 21:55
Enthusiast

Well Congratulations!!!!!!!!

I think you will be the fist M52 on the road, and possibly the first Sportster to pass the new IVA?

You've just got to get it past the registration process!!

good luck,

Peter
Old 8th December 2009, 05:03
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Well done Tim. What a great feeling it is when you drive the car there and get your MAC (if the IVA is the same as SVA). I had the added pleasure of getting pulled over by the police due to no plates. Had all the documentation so was ok.

Well done again Tim. You will find still plenty more "projects" to keep you busy now it's passed.
Old 8th December 2009, 07:18

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Tim. - bet you are chuffed.

I calibrated my speedo by following my wife the waved each time we got to a new 10mph increment.

Now read the G854UAM thread to see what kind of cock up DVLA can make !
Old 8th December 2009, 15:22
Enthusiast

RobDorey is on a distinguished road

Well done, Tim. Another one soon to be on the road.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:23
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Talking

Tim

Well done............you certainly have been through the mill to get there so particularly well done.
Does this mean your daily driver is now missing a few electronic parts permanently!!

Have fun
Mike
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:24
Enthusiast

To borrow some of Chris' words:

Welcome to the world Q 915 SAE

So the DVLA inspection was a total farce, in line with everyone else's experiences. And because I never had the V5 from the donor (well donors to be exact) (supplied from FAB via Marlin I think) I couldn't prove the age/background of the major components, so it got a Q plate instead of an S plate. I'm not bothered about this, its just nice to get it registered
Had to stop off and get the plates made up on the way back so was a tad late for work, oops!!
Hopefully first outing on Boxing Day!

And yes Mike, my daily driver was sacrificed in the noble cause! Now replaced by a P-reg Nissan!! Which I'll only be driving when it rains from now on!!