Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2016, 07:45
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Like others have said, nothing to defend, it's a quality product, anyone can see that. Looks great in off white as per pics but would also look great in black I reckon.

John
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:00

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky360 View Post
the petrol filler in a real 250 was inside the boot, law says you can't do that anymore, I didn't want to fit an aero chrome filler as there's not much room from the original bmw filler to the new location, as one of the tribute guys ( I think smash) has had problems filling his tank with petrol

also to keep the build simple , so no tubes running fuel around the car where they shouldn't be

to keep this thread clear , I will post info anyone needs on the DNA thread , looks like I'll be busy defending myself!
I agree with what some others have already said - no defence necessary when your product is clearly well developed, appears to be a top quality moulding and just looks that good.

Trouble is that Chris and Dan have fulfilled a lot of people's dreams on this forum recently, so there's fierce loyalty to the Tribute brand amongst those who post here.

The step under the boot lid is something I would add myself if I were to build a 250 convertible as it's necessary to integrate the tall rear lights. The use of the MGB rear lights makes perfect sense to me too as they're cheap, easily available and look almost identical to the ones Ferrari used apart from the built in reflector.

The resemblance to the back of the MGB, although undeniable, at least makes it look more like the back of the real thing and less like the back of a Cobra, which, although it's a nicely resolved design in its own right, the rump on the Kalifornia does resemble.

Anyway, keep up the good work Tricky, a little competition is a good thing for us customers.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 3rd May 2016 at 08:02..
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:39

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Well I has lurnd sumfink today

Never seen the beer shelf California before. I think the styling looks a bit awkward on the original too.

As with the other comments, explain but don't defend. It is what you have made therefor is correct as per the designers wish.

I had a Monza style filler on my Z300S originally but placed where the standard BMW filler goes. Looked okay but I kept catching my leg on it getting out of the car. Your straight edged design goes with the sharp crease line you have, just not to my preferences
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:42

smash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post

Even from that distance you can see the crack in the roof join at the A pillar.
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:11

AcC8braman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Needs bigger wheels...

Looks like a quality moulding though, anyone any idea of the company producing it, donor etc.?

P*ssed off I missed the show this year, some really nice cars pictured so thanks to anyone who uploads some.
Hi, I think this is a Prova Designs mold.

Its donor is a Boxster and Regal Classics are building it for a client who has or might have just sold a White DC Diablo.
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:27

Doesn't help when this man stares so closely at it
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAmericanChap View Post
The filler cap - actually in the 250 which you posted above:

Glad you posted that - it shows very clearly the step on an original car that DNA are getting flack for - apparently it doesn't pay to go for accuracy - whichever version they copied!

and you clearly know a great deal about Italian cars and their detailing despite protesting otherwise lol!!

Last edited by smash; 3rd May 2016 at 10:55..
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:46
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

Great to speak to many from the forum in person over the Stoneleigh weekend.
It was very successful for us in terms of builds, just not sure where I can find time to sleep.

A previous customer of ours, Dave Hargeaves (Kobra Klassic) has asked us to build a DNA 250 so it will be interesting to see what we can bring to the table. I'm seeing Brian this week to place an order.

However my loyalty is a to the Tribute brand and so there will be no postings of the build on this forum.

Tribute still hold the crown of 'best value for money'.
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:54

Glad you posted that - it shows very clearly the step on an original car that DNA are getting flack for - apparently it doesn't pay to go for accuracy!

I agree. I don't like the original as shown in white in your picture but the one behind in red doesn't have the beer ledge and is (in my opinion) prettier. The lights on the red one are more upright and look less like the MG RV8 which I also prefer

I guess I don't like authentic which is why the Z300S wasn't a replica/copy/homage to/inspired by any particular model.

All power to both Tribute and DNA for doing the same thing but slightly differently. Peace among the kit making fraternity may continue now

:-)
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:02

All I'll say is that this is the iconic Ferris Bueller car that everybody knows. Right or wrong - love or loath the beer ledge - that's it.

"What's the car mate?" "You seen Ferris Bueller?". Winner!

Why on earth would some one buy a DNA and have it built by someone else? The quality of the demonstrator was second to none

Last edited by smash; 3rd May 2016 at 11:19..
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:48

I had forgotton about that (not). Explains the MG rear lights now

The 289 has been replaced with a 351W bored and stroked to 427 cubic inches and dyno’d at over 500hp; a T-5 manual replacing the automatic (Matthew “two-pedal” Broderick couldn’t drive a stick); 13-inch disc brakes were fitted; and coilovers installed in place of a torsion bar suspension. Neil did leave one little dent in the grille, just for history’s sake, and cleaned up some little details, like the MGB taillamps they used on the original.

So the DNA is a replica of a kit car...

:-)
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:37

ThatAmericanChap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
Glad you posted that - it shows very clearly the step on an original car that DNA are getting flack for - apparently it doesn't pay to go for accuracy - whichever version they copied!

and you clearly know a great deal about Italian cars and their detailing despite protesting otherwise lol!!

Only a little. As to the beer shelf, it appears solely on the three lightweight alloy Concorrenza bodies, and was probably the first attempt in racing history to exert downforce at the car's rear. With the disastrous 1959 F1 season stretching into 1960 for Ferrari's (front-engined) 246s which were being overrun by Jack Brabham's (rear engined) Cooper, Ferrari began an experiment suggested in 1959 by Giancarlo Baghetti, who'd come over to F1 from road racing at Team Ferrari early in that year. The 250 was the guinea pig, getting an alloy body with a broad read shelf between the tail lamps, to direct the force coming across the boot downward, which proved moderately successful when the fuel tank was near empty, and extremely successful when fully laden.

The three 3 litre (not the 2.7 litre V12) cars were "distributed" to the then-fledgling N.A.R.T. , the French team and Scuderia Ferrari, and the beer shelf proved relatively effective at 24 Heures du Mans at the end of June, 1960. Only four cars surpassed the 300 lap mark at 24 hours - Aston Martin's DBR, which finished third, and the three Ferraris, finishing first, ssecond and fourth. Afterwards, it's said that Enzo Ferrari chided France's Fernand Tavano for finishing in fourth place and not in third. In all events, ground effects were arguably born on that little flat shelf, and the SWB didn't fare too badly thereafter either.

Old 3rd May 2016, 16:24

molleur is on a distinguished road

Shelf or not, it's still a fantastic build!
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:24

ThatAmericanChap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post

A previous customer of ours, Dave Hargeaves (Kobra Klassic) has asked us to build a DNA 250 so it will be interesting to see what we can bring to the table. I'm seeing Brian this week to place an order.

However my loyalty is a to the Tribute brand and so there will be no postings of the build on this forum.

I'd guess that creating a DNA Build subforum in the Mad Build area couldn't be all that difficult, and it would solve your dilemma. I expect that a fair number of readers here would be quite keen to follow your DNA build, and if DNA had its own "area" on the forum, there'd be no issue with your thread stepping on Chris' toes.

Old 3rd May 2016, 19:43

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

a Quick snap of one of the 250 SWB from sunday
1DSC_1971w by paul ward, on Flickr
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:06

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
Even from that distance you can see the crack in the roof join at the A pillar.
I'm sure the owner must be mortified , if it was your car I know you would be . When I had a look around the car I couldn't pick any faults with it , I thought it was superb for a mere " Kit Car ". I understand this car has seen some track action in poor conditions and spun off. I'm sure that if the owner is happy to take part in track days ( just like the lucky few with the real thing ) then he won't be put off by a tiny stress crack in the paint.

I had a look at your car too and thought it was built to a very high standard. I know you had a few blemishes in the paint but they are now sorted ( well I couldn't see anything wrong with it ). Perhaps if you want perfection you should be looking beyond a budget panel swop on an ageing Z3 donor ??
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:47

Jeff H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
I'm sure the owner must be mortified , if it was your car I know you would be . When I had a look around the car I couldn't pick any faults with it , I thought it was superb for a mere " Kit Car ". I understand this car has seen some track action in poor conditions and spun off. I'm sure that if the owner is happy to take part in track days ( just like the lucky few with the real thing ) then he won't be put off by a tiny stress crack in the paint.

I had a look at your car too and thought it was built to a very high standard. I know you had a few blemishes in the paint but they are now sorted ( well I couldn't see anything wrong with it ). Perhaps if you want perfection you should be looking beyond a budget panel swop on an ageing Z3 donor ??

Not sure what your idea of a "budget" is ? I do know Scott has invested a lot of money in his car.

The problems that arose were not of his making so I can't understand your take on this.
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:19

Rules for Internet forums

Praise good news

Comment on bollocks with equal insight

Criticism is for private message or email
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:21

Jeff I will chat Saturday to sort my stuff out.

Do you prefer do noughts or cookies?
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:27

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

All things being equal the Tribute range are at the budget end of the replica / kit car market. Yes , you can spend a lot of money if you have your car built by a build agent ( time is money ) and that's the route smash has taken. Comparisons have been made with DNA but their products cost £1000's more to get on the road and that's my point. I think Nubodi and Tribute offer a very good product at the price . Compared to many other kits on the market ( Cobra's and the like ) they are a bargain.
Closed Thread