Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 23rd June 2020, 21:21

andysharrock is on a distinguished road

bit of progress hit the local old fashioned iron mongers in search of door hinges and found so that with a bit of work made puka job of it . top tip you can not see were to mark the bolt holes when the door is on so use some clay or putty to leave a mark to drill. I am leaving the final tweaking till its sat on a chassis
IMG_20200622_135754.jpg
IMG_20200623_112542.jpg
IMG_20200623_112556.jpg

bonnet hinges welded in place and reshaping around the front end coming together the bonnet now sits about 1" higher than before

IMG_20200623_153505.jpg
IMG_20200623_153538.jpg
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:28

not so happy with the seats I bought for the other car they look brill but have got to be the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in. So fiberglass out time to make some seats this is the inside view of the seat I have made ,tomorrow I will try it out making a copy right side out

IMG_20200623_153620.jpg

IMG_20200623_153626.jpg
Old 25th June 2020, 22:18

made me some seat shells two for the speedster and one for the other tribute build I am working on. gel coats a bit thin but they are getting covered so hay oh
IMG_20200625_181212.jpg

IMG_20200625_181224.jpg

IMG_20200625_181252.jpg

my chassis will be here Saturday along with the wheels so looking forward to build the frame up next week and getting it on wheels whoop whoop
Old 27th June 2020, 19:06

picked my chassis up the morning that can only mean its chassis build time lol 60mm box section think that should be enough

IMG_20200627_141909.jpg

IMG_20200627_174854.jpg

test fit the car tomorrow going to hang the inner frame I made under the chassis rails I've just fitted. hoping that should be about right for looks and ground clearances
Old 28th June 2020, 02:19

molleur is on a distinguished road

Looking good!
Old 28th June 2020, 13:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Wow, great progress again, proper Hare and Tortoise stuff when compared to my build.

I suspect you've already thought this through, but have you worked out where your seats are going to sit (no pun intended) yet? I only ask because to get mine in the right place and at the right height, their front edges will be exactly where your centre outriggers are at the moment.

If you look at both real and replica 356 Speedsters, the top of the seat squab is pretty much level with the bottom edge of the doors, so they're set quite low in the car. They're quite a bit higher up in a coupe - and bigger seats too, but they have a much taller windscreen for the driver to look through.
Old 28th June 2020, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Wow, great progress again, proper Hare and Tortoise stuff when compared to my build.

I suspect you've already thought this through, but have you worked out where your seats are going to sit (no pun intended) yet? I only ask because to get mine in the right place and at the right height, their front edges will be exactly where your centre outriggers are at the moment.

lIf you look at both real and replica 356 Speedsters, the top of the seat squab is pretty much level with the bottom edge of the doors, so they're set quite low in the car. They're quite a bit higher up in a coupe - and bigger seats too, but they have a much taller windscreen for the driver to look through.

thanks Mister Towed work will come to a stop soon my caravans opening so gone fishing will be on the garage door lol. Must admit no I have not got as far as were to put the seats made the seats tho so that's a start . I've got some 3mm ish fiberglass flooring sheets that come off the fire escape that I made the frame from. so that,s going to be the car floor been fiberglass it will tie into everything with a bit of work. Once that's in I can work on seat frames. windscreens on order along with a list as long as your arm coming from Vintage in the states just about got over the shock off cost
Old 28th June 2020, 17:13

Huston we have a car on wheels hanging the frame from the underside of the chassis worked a treat I just need to nip the ends off the steel work job for tomorrow. The front of the chassis tucked tight into the front of the body allowing me to glass it in so it dose not move. I extended the rear chassis all the way to the body and run a length of box across the rear end. this gives me support for the boot floor but more so to give us some protection from the rear end also glassed it to the body. headlight buckets hit the crash rail on the chassis so going to have to trim the last 2" off both ends to fit the lights. relay need to find a mx5 so I can work out the inner working seat pedals etc but the boot can all go in now.
IMG_20200628_154556.jpg

IMG_20200628_154530.jpg

IMG_20200628_154537.jpg

IMG_20200628_154625.jpg

IMG_20200628_154544.jpg
Old 28th June 2020, 17:22

The door gaps look better now the body has support at both ends as well as the middle. The bonnet fits and looks so much better now I have lifted and brought the front out a little . I think its a bit to flat across the back of the seats so need to have a good look at some picture see is I need to raise it a little. should be seeing some primmer soon whoop whoop
IMG_20200628_154917.jpg

IMG_20200628_154827.jpg

IMG_20200628_154818.jpg
Old 29th June 2020, 21:58

did the google bit and found the external dimensions of an mx 5 engine 600mm high from bottom of the sump too the oil filler cap. that should just hang passed the cross member by about 2" and clear the bonnet. the new wheels lift the car by a good 3" so the should cover the low sump. not sure about how the gearbox will fit tho but I should have the mx here by the end of the week so we will no if I need to get the grinder out again. today's works start on the floor I recessed the seat bit 60mm at the back but even before with the seat on a flat floor it was good for seeing over the bonnet and head height.

IMG_20200629_152321.jpg

IMG_20200629_152337.jpg

IMG_20200629_152547.jpg

IMG_20200629_152556.jpg
Old 30th June 2020, 07:43

I like your recessed floors. I'm going to recess the front pans rather more than the rear to accommodate my floor mounted pedals, which will also give me a bit more legroom than I'd otherwise have.

I can now also see how you'll be able to fit your seats with your centre outrigger where it is. on my shell, the rear 4" of the space you have your seats in is occupied by the front edge of the rear seat/luggage area, which is shaped to give that part of the shell some strength. Hopefully you can just about see what I mean in this pic -

The good thing for you, of course, is that you have a blank canvas so you can shape the structure inside and out to fit around what you want under it, while I somehow have to fit the parts I want into the existing shell. I did toy with the idea of putting a straight six up front but it'd have intruded too far into the cockpit once it was moved back far enough to clear the bonnet at the front.

I'll measure my engine later to see how it compares with the Mazdo motor, but I'm sure you'll get it to fit somehow.

Anyway, haven't you got some fishing to do? I think maybe you could do with some rest and relaxation, it's nothing to do with you showing me up by racing forward with a similar project to the one I've had sat in my garage for nearly four years. No, honestly...
Old 30th June 2020, 08:28

lol yep going fishing this weekend so will not be on the cars. I looked at the floor pans and thought maybe I should lower the front too. But that's an easy alteration to do when they are fixed at the mo I can lift them out until I know what pedals I am using they can stay as is. I looked at beetle pedals but the driving position is much higher . pedal boxes are very expensive for what they are. I picked up a good 1600cc mk1 mx5 so weather and delivery permitting I will be shoehorning the engine in before fishing wish me luck
Old 30th June 2020, 10:35

Not sure if you need it for shoehorning in the engine or for the fishing, but Good Luck anyway!
Old 30th June 2020, 10:39

Bellicose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
wish me luck
Good luck!
Old 30th June 2020, 18:45

Just for reference, my Triumph engine is 560mm tall from the bottom of the sump to the top of the rocker cover, while the top of the rocker cover is 510mm above the top of the chassis, measured from the side rails just behind the front suspension turrets.
Old 30th June 2020, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Just for reference, my Triumph engine is 560mm tall from the bottom of the sump to the top of the rocker cover, while the top of the rocker cover is 510mm above the top of the chassis, measured from the side rails just behind the front suspension turrets.
##

what's 40mm between friends car should be here for 1ish tomorrow if the weather holds out it will be out the car quicker than I can fit it.I will at least be able to say yes or know to it fitting without making changes to the body
Old 5th July 2020, 09:36

quick update we have an engine what a bugger to get in fouled on everything but its in and sat on engine mounts. Need to refit the alternator it will need ether a belt tensioner at the other side or fab a new bracket. more to follow latter
IMG_20200704_111456.jpg

IMG_20200704_111521.jpg

IMG_20200704_111450.jpg
Old 5th July 2020, 10:07

Looks to be a good fit, should give it some serious go.
Old 7th July 2020, 19:05

whoop whoop look what's just arrived for the US of A . we now have door handles lights hinges badges bonnet handle and a complete windshield frame. dose not look a lot for a grand still arrived in less than a week. need to by a screen now so I can set the frame to it and finish the dash.more spending oh and a petrol tank the mx5 one is bloody massive lol takes up most of the boot .
IMG_20200707_144152.jpg
Old 11th July 2020, 19:55

bit of progress this week foot pedals fitted, I've cut some steel plate out with the plasma cutter to hold everything in place welded some 30mm box section to it and in turn welded that to the chassis then fibreglass it in so its going nowhere. when the engine is next out I will glass it in from the back and make everything pretty on the engine fire wall side. after setting the pedals I dint like the foot potions so I have also sloped the floor off in the foot well that works better. also fitted the handbrake and steering column.back of the passenger fire wall has loads of room none at all on drivers side so I will make up a shelf for the battery etc. need to find a petrol tank so I can Finnish the boot off. next weeks job after fishing weekend.

IMG_20200710_105626.jpg

IMG_20200710_134425.jpg

IMG_20200710_134829.jpg

IMG_20200710_134842.jpg

IMG_20200710_152731.jpg