Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 11th October 2014, 20:25

jones is on a distinguished road
Default So I have gone and done it...

So after floating around this forum sharing my opinions but now I am putting a challenge to myself and going to do an MX250 kit.

I purchased the mx back in April after toying with the idea for a few months, a few beers with encouagement from friends in the pub and a search on fleebay. Picked it up a couple of days later and been driving it around all summer.

Here are some pics at pick up:

Last edited by jones; 9th January 2015 at 19:14..
Available from eBay
Old 11th October 2014, 20:29

A trip on what turned out to be a very wet day and 7 hours of being a white van man and this happened to my front lawn...

Last edited by jones; 9th January 2015 at 19:15..
Old 11th October 2014, 21:01

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Maybe when your neighbour isn't looking you can slip the kit on to the Mk3 in the background :-D

Best of luck and have fun.
Old 11th October 2014, 22:23

seanick is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the build.
Slow and steady wins the race. Mind you, I would not recommend you go as slow as me!!
Have fun, and wear a mask.
Old 12th October 2014, 10:57

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Well Seanick, I've always tried to go as fast as I can, but because I've had to fabricate most of the bits, and the attention to detail to get it right always wins, this kind of strangles the work-rate back to a slow-and-steady crawl! So you are right!

Seriously, if you rush it, you end up with an obvious "kit car"

If you do go slow and steady, you end up with a really nice "classic" looking one-off.

Good luck jonesy!
Old 12th October 2014, 18:56

Hi thanks for the well wishes.

Going to be a month or so before I get truly going onthis. Because:

A) to get the signed off by the wife I prmoised to complete the diy on the house first.

B) a run of bad luck has 1st seen my daily driver have an accident, 2nd the insurance company has refused to cover it so 3rd the repairs failed whilst driving at 80mph on the M1.

C) not to be left out I am using the mx5 as a daily driver which has now
wanted to get in on the act started running on 3 cylinders narrowed down to a faulty coil pack when under load.

However this has not stopped the cogs turning as to what can I do when I do get going.
Old 13th October 2014, 08:19

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Im guessing you have already picked the colour?

And looking at the front end as per the ferrari with the fog lights, im guessing red?

I struggled to find fog lights to fit but ended up buying some hella ones that had a black plastic casing, once stripped down they fit fine!
Old 13th October 2014, 16:25

Thanks Danny, you have answered the question I had for you with regards to what fog lights you used.

With regards to colour - the Jury is out, I won't be doing red for me there is already a couple of great red examples yours is included. I am thinking white but again there are a few examples already or blue.... not sure the engine bay and all underside and interior will be sprayed black.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:38

Peepsy is on a distinguished road

Good luck and welcome to the go to sleep thinking about the car and waking up thinking about the car club.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:51

if its going to have Ferr@ri badges on then its got to be red. However, i havnt seen a yellow 1...
Old 15th October 2014, 17:20

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
Paul, the wait might not be so long... as suggested by Danny my MX250 is awaiting the final decision on colour. I am ruling out the red and probably the white as there are already some great examples of this about but I still want something period... blue is in my mind too with a white stripe?
Jones - I thought I'd reply to your post on the other thread here.

When I was trying to narrow down my colour choices, I just cut of photos from magazines like so.

Also this Sammio G-46 had a nice blue paint job with white stripes "next door".

Good luck, Paul.
Old 16th October 2014, 21:09

Thanks Paul that's a great idea and you certainly put a good selection together - below is my idea.... for today that is! tomorrow might be back to yellow

Last edited by jones; 9th January 2015 at 19:17..
Old 27th October 2014, 21:10

So today I got my first few hours on the car since getting the kit a few weeks ago. It's disappointing but due to other external influences I will be doing this project as and when I can find the time. I had intended to take a week off to get the body on and then spend the rest of the winter tweeking it etc.

Well anyway I have managed to get some done and today it the front end that got my attention. Importantly i got my first excuse to use the new power toy...

I had to grind off a few seized bolts to remove the front bumper but piece by piece the front lawn looked like a Mazda jumble sale.

I am pleased to announce that a small fear has been alleviated as I purchased the car really quite cheap due to the appalling paintwork. I had therefore wondered if that was a result of some major accident BUT its all straight under those panels!

So I was eager to see it with the front on so first dry run with still a few rubbers and bonnet catch still in place and voilá...

A bit later on I was able to remove these bits and do a better dry fit including the removal of the corners from the front plastic impact bar.

The one thing I am surprised about is how high the front is now sitting - the bonnet, bumper and wings didn't appear to way much at all but will now have to look at lowering the car. Any suggestions on by how much I should lower it, by anyone who has done it already?

Last edited by jones; 9th January 2015 at 19:27..
Old 27th October 2014, 21:15

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
So today I got my first few hours on the car since getting the kit a few weeks ago. It's disappointing but due to other external influences I will be doing this project as and when I can find the time. I had intended to take a week off to get the body on and then spend the rest of the winter tweeking it etc.

Well anyway I have managed to get some done and today it the front end that got my attention. Importantly i got my first excuse to use the new power toy...

I had to grind off a few seized bolts to remove the front bumper but piece by piece the front lawn looked like a Mazda jumble sale.

I am pleased to announce that a small fear has been alleviated as I purchased the car really quite cheap due to the appalling paintwork. I had therefore wondered if that was a result of some major accident BUT its all straight under those panels!

So I was eager to see it with the front on so first dry run with still a few rubbers and bonnet catch still in place and voilá...

A bit later on I was able to remove these bits and do a better dry fit including the removal of the corners from the front plastic impact bar.

The one thing I am surprised about is how high the front is now sitting - the bonnet, bumper and wings didn't appear to way much at all but will now have to look at lowering the car. Any suggestions on by how much I should lower it, by anyone who has done it already?
I would get your wheel and tyre combo sorted and fitted before you lower it Ian, see how it looks with more rubber on it.
Old 27th October 2014, 22:01

I never lowerd mine. i dont think you need to with the correct wheels/tyres
Old 27th October 2014, 22:38

Thanks Chris and Danny - I will leave that decision until the last possible moment before paint.
Old 28th October 2014, 09:41

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

I lowered mine 30 mm on eibach springs. The ride was too harsh so now I've got standard on the rear with lowered eibach s on the front. This works well.
Old 20th December 2014, 10:13

Talking

So its that time of the year that the door gets knocked frequently my wife grins and giggles runs to the door to collect the parcel
, then rushes off to hide it. This morning wasn't any different 'knock, knock' wife lept out of the bed with some purpose grabbed her dressing gown to go downstairs "oh yay it's the parcel I have been waiting for!" All chirpy she chatted to the delivery man, what she hadn't done was check the label, door closes and she skips up the stairs then theres a pause..."oh,its for you" she cries out and the slowly walks back into the room and throws the box at me. The whole time I was smug in the knowledge that I too was expecting a box...

Combine this with my recent delivery from Italy I now have....

Just waiting on some more deliveries and then I can get on

Last edited by jones; 9th January 2015 at 19:30..
Old 20th December 2014, 10:31

Haha it's too funny it happened again, this time she checked the label

box no.2

Last edited by jones; 9th January 2015 at 19:31..
Old 20th December 2014, 11:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Ooh, I like those coffin shaped side repeaters. Do you have a link to the supplier?