Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 3rd September 2016, 18:52

nellieb is on a distinguished road
Smile

Looks great ! A very individual Cordite .And you have the addictive smile of some one who has built their own car! A distinctive feeling isn't it !
Old 3rd September 2016, 19:05

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Living the dream Paul

Im sure those miles are going to rack up before she is tucked away for winter.
Old 3rd September 2016, 21:15

Barber is on a distinguished road

Paul, you are such an encourager to everyone. Your build is looking good. maybe you could do with one of those concertina type gazebos that take about 5 mins to put up?
Old 3rd September 2016, 21:46

swifty is on a distinguished road

Paul the car is simply fantastic on the road, great news on the Mot.

When you say it brings happiness to the roads of London I can vouch for that which was a surprise to me when driving it for the first time. I find van drivers in particular flash their lights or thumbs up, a couple of weeks back driving down the A1 a taxi pulled along side with the passenger taking a video on her I pad, enjoy it.

I like that your threads are still as detailed as ever, keep on posting matey.
Old 3rd September 2016, 23:19

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Fantastic work and congrats on the MOT. It's a real buzz watching the reaction of other people isn't it.
Old 4th September 2016, 01:22

Thurcroft flyer is on a distinguished road

well done paul the car is a credit to you. you should be very proud of your self to have built such a unique and individual car. it's been enthralling reading from start to finish. the conditions in which you have worked on the car, would have caused many others to give up on the project. you are an inspiration to us all. good luck with the final touches, and most of all enjoy it........ when people stare at you smile and remember it's the only one off its kind, built by you.
Old 4th September 2016, 08:27

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Phil, Slickshod, Nellieb, Roadster, Barber, Swifty, Fatbloke, Thurcroft Flyer - Cheers chaps.

Just to pick up on a few common themes...

Normally, the only exchanges between motorists around here involve rude words & gestures!

So to have so many complete strangers saying nice things as you drive around takes some getting used to.

That and the fact conversations start not only when you are stationary (at lights) but while you are driving along too!

I've have motorcyclists chatting to me as they ride along side and car passengers leaning out of their windows.

I honestly thought the best I could hope for with "Project Frankenstein Hillybilly" was to create a good first impression.
( Where the car would be let down by all the symmetry issues I just didn't have the skills to fix. )

But the reality of the positive reaction has really blown my mind.
( And I know Mr T & others said this would be the case. )

So I'm working on the classic car driver's equivalent of the Cowboy's "Howdy mam." tip of the hat.

Where a gentle tug of my flat cap's peak seems a polite way to react to a big smile from an adult pedestrian.
( Obviously children get a thumbs up, or a wave. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If this epic build thread has been an inspiration to others, then that is an added bonus.

Although I wouldn't recommend building on a sloping driveway, I have shown it is possible.

But seeing how fast the Tribute (and recently the DNA California) kits can go together, they would be a better bet for a novice like me.

Getting the build this far really took a lot out of me, so driving around is helping to re-charge my batteries.

As I know tackling the bodywork for final paint is going to require a lot of effort.

Before the MOT I was really dreading the extra work involved, but now I am almost looking forward to it.
( It will require a LOT more driving miles before I am actually looking forward to it! )

Barber - Welcome to my build thread.

I have always appreciated the help & encouragement I have received from the forum, so I try to help/encourage others.

I do have a gazebo/"circus tent", but the problem is securing it on the front driveway (to stop it blowing away).

My driveway had to be "permeable" for planning permission, so there is nothing "solid" below the pavers.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 4th September 2016, 15:14

Roadster is on a distinguished road

I do have a gazebo/"circus tent", but the problem is securing it on the front driveway (to stop it blowing away).

My driveway had to be "permeable" for planning permission, so there is nothing "solid" below the pavers.

Paul I have a solution for securing your gazebo.
I will give you some construction fixings. think self taping bolts for brick and block work. capable of high loads in shear and tension.

When your finished simply unscrew them and fill the 6mm holes - simples.
Old 4th September 2016, 17:18

reneanglia is on a distinguished road

Paul you can't compare a tribute or dna against your build.
Turning a spitfire chassis into a classic sportscar using a crappy body which almost needs a rebuild to get it straight is much more effort as sticking almost perfect panels on a ready to drive modern car(not as i think it is easy to build one of these)..............
I also have respect you did'nt give up,building it in your front garden/driveway for many years using basic tools,no expirience,lack of technical skills and still going for it...............sir,i take my hat(flatcap)off for you.............i would'nt chanche a tire on the street and you build your own 50s sportscar outdoors.........wow!
Old 6th September 2016, 07:41

Roadster - Thanks for the offer, but securing the gazebo is only part of the problem.
( The sloping drive is another, but, more importantly, my wife doesn't like the idea. )

Anyway, I'll worry about how I am going to paint the car another day.

Rene - Thanks for your kind words about my build efforts.

Sorry, I should have been clearer about the Tribute \ DNA comparisons…

What I meant was that I would recommend a novice like me builds an easier kit as a first project.

Work & Weather
I've not had another chance to drive the car since Saturday due to a combination of bad weather and "real work".

But it still feels slightly weird not to feel any guilty about missing car building time, if that makes sense.

I'm actually going to start working from home in a minute, so might be able to go for a drive later today.
( If not, then hopefully tomorrow, which promises to be a scorcher. )

Take care, Paul.
Old 6th September 2016, 22:57

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Have a drive out and spray it yourself

http://www.thepaintshoppros.co.uk/st...ay-booth-hire/

First one I found to tell you the truth
Old 7th September 2016, 06:49

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Paul, really pleased for you. Truly inspirational and a fantastically useful thread to keep us all inspired

Marc
Old 7th September 2016, 20:48

RedRatBike - Thanks for the link.

It did occur to me that it might be worth hiring a lock up garage to do the painting in.
( As I will be using a brush/roller rather than a compressor. )

Marc - Cheers.

I look forward to seeing an update on your Miglia build.

Work & Play:
A quick look confirmed the plastic sheet was really melted onto the exhaust.

So, once again, the car was jacked up and I was back crawling underneath it.

I had to literally scrape it off one small bit at a time.

This will do for now and I'll come back to this again when I finally wrap the exhaust.
( Which will be after I've sorted out the oil leak. )

Unfortunately, by now, it was 6.40pm, but I will still determined to head out for a short drive.

Racked up another 17 miles, so I've now done 111 since the MOT.

Obviously, I know the rules, so here you go…

I seriously like this next photo.

It was getting pretty dark by the time I got home, but still great fun.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 10th September 2016, 17:15

Quick Update

There was a kit car event at the Ace Cafe earlier today, but it was a complete wash out here, so I couldn't go.
( I knew I should have built a car with a roof. )

Still, I managed to send off my paperwork to get my V5C transferred to the "C" reg. plate I bought last year.

But in the classic "Catch 22" tradition, I can't order the new rear number plate until the V5C has been updated.
( By all accounts there is a bit of leeway given for everything to match. )

It is also the Goodwood Revival this weekend and I would love to attend the 2017 event.

In which case, I will set this as my deadline for having the car fully painted, complete with racing numbers and sponsors' stickers.

Ideally I will have this done long before then, but if today's weather is anything to go by, who knows?

Anyway, the forecast looks good for tomorrow, so I hope to sneak out for a spin.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11th September 2016, 20:21

I went down to the woods today…
As you may have already seen on Oxford build thread, I pushed a shakedown run as far as Oxford.

Which included a big section of the M40, which was definitely edge of the seat stuff.

But first I need to cover my choice of footwear…

I have wide feet and narrow pedals, so I have been wearing some "squash" trainers while driving.

I did look at original brown leather racing boots, but they are the thick end of £200 a pair.

So a trawl through ebay found these black hi-tops for just £15 + P&P which I think are a big improvement.

Although my daughters are now even more ashamed of me than ever, for wearing second hand teenager footwear.

Stopped off at a Sainsburys on route to pick up some biscuits & took this photo…

A mini, next to one of those cars that BMW make.

After a bit of a detour (where I headed South, instead of North), I finally made it to Oxford's workshop in the woods.

It was great to finally meet him and have a bit of a drive around and general chin wag.

Although, I really must remember to sit on the passenger side before I take any photos as my car always looks lopsided.

I'm a bit gutted this last photo came out blurred.

I got caught in some horrendous traffic on the way home, so was a bit late taking my family for a promised meal out.

But it was still a great day and I racked up around 150 miles, including all my detours.
( Forgot to check the trip reading before I put the covers back on. )

So until next time, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 11th September 2016 at 22:33.. Reason: More Typos
Old 12th September 2016, 08:22

phil9 is on a distinguished road

great pics paul ...nice to see .....
Old 12th September 2016, 10:18

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

EXCELLENT STUFF PAUL ....They become very addictive to drive don't they ?
Motorways not so enjoyable but side roads are fantastic fun ...

If you fancy driving it to Poole at some time in the future ...there's a spray oven attached to my new workshop that you would be very welcome to use to spray your car sometime ...
Old 12th September 2016, 12:23

Phil - Cheers, my confidence in the car is building with each trip I make.

And my big target is a trip to see you guys in Norfolk before the year is out.

Lancelot - Thanks for the offer of the spray booth, I appreciate it.

As for the driving experience, see more thoughts below…

First 250 Miles…
I have now driven a mixture of roads in the Swordfish and some are definitely better than others.

Motorways (M1 & M40)
- Have always worn an open faced helmet and googles for these stretches.
- Yesterday, I also put a long sleeved jumper on for the first time & it was was very cosy.
( Every other journey has been in just a t-shirt, even the M1. )
- There is a bit of buffeting to the head with the helmet on & wind noise, so I am using ear plugs.
( A bit too late for me, as I'm already deaf from riding motorcycles without them. )
- The car is pretty stable, even when passing big lorries.
- I definitely need to sort out a plinth for the passenger mirror at some point.
- People pulling along cross beside you, so their passenger can to takes photos/videos, is very unnerving at 70mph.
- The over drive switch is definitely on the blink working sometimes, but not others.
- The bonnet lifts slightly/flaps about at time and is certainly testing my faith in the leather straps.
- This could be due to the air flow, or bumps in the road, or both.
- I still need to fix a full rubber seal when I do the final body work prep for paint.
- I could also fit some bonnet pins to secure the top edge, or add some vents to the bonnet, or both!

Twisty A & B Roads
- Without a doubt, this is where the car really belongs and you can't help singing/humming "On days like these."
- Unfortunately, I haven't spent enough time on these sorts of roads yet.
- But man handling it around corners/bends is a lot of fun.

London
- I fear that speed humps will be the death of my lovely twin tail pipes.
( So at some point I will remove the lowering block just to see what a difference that makes. )
- Apart from that, it has been real pleasure driving around due to the joy it spreads.
- You can see a lot of expensive cars while driving around town, but I've yet to come across anything like this.

Traffic Jams
- I have now been caught in traffic on all the road types listed above.
- Thankfully, the engine temperature has always behaved itself.
- It only nudged above the half way mark when it was stationary in 80 degree heat.
- The HUGE Cordite opening and mesh grill seem to be working well.
- But the real down side is the level of pollution, which you really notice/taste.

Petrol Stations
- It is definitely a conversion starter when you stop to fill up.
- As a very rough estimate, I think I managed almost 40mph going to Oxford & back.

Revs
- Whilst I've now pushed the revs passed 4,000, I still instinctively change up too early.
- I was reading up on expected fuel consumption earlier today to check my calculations above.
- Someone on line was complaining that the Spitfire 1500 didn't like to rev beyond 6,000!
- So I still have some way to go before I feel at ease revving it a bit harder than I am currently.

Confidence
- This my first classic car of any sort, so I am on a big learning curve.
- Which is why if was great to take Oxford130 out for a spin and get his feedback.
- I am also planning a drive to see JYClassics at some point to show them the car.
( As the car went on the back of a trailer to/from them last time. )
- At this point I am still a bit paranoid about every noise and squeak I hear.
( Most of which can be traced back to the bag of tools I have in the boot. )
- Which finally leads me to this car…

Triumph Dolomite 1850
- Back in 1986, two of my mates and I drove this car on an epic road trip to Poland and back.

- It was 13 years old at the time, but it got us there and back in one piece.
- It belonged to my best mate (the one who taught me to weld) and he has been in the Swordfish too.
- He quickly suggested there might be a problem with the overdrive due to the "gap" between 2nd & 3rd gears.
- But the main reason for posting the photo is to remind me that "basic" cars can be driven a very long way.

Anyway, that is more than enough words from me for one post.

So until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 13th September 2016, 07:37

phil9 is on a distinguished road

we await you in norfolk with open arms paul....:
Old 13th September 2016, 12:14

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Paul

Questi giorno quando viene, my wife being Italian and trips to Italy over the years with the kids always ended with the return journey going over the Grande San Bernadino Pass and the kids saying is he (dad) going to sing that song again!!!!

Would it not be great to take as many sammios over the pass and the C
Col De Turini some year?

Last time I drove it two years ago I ripped out both drive shafts in my Audi, still not the same as a classic, just have to mind the manic cyclists coming down the other way,