Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 10th April 2017, 09:20

Giormio is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Firing up my Testarossa project

Hi to everyone.

New to this forum and found it while looking Testarossa builds already done.
I've had a dream to build my own TR for a long time now and finally decided to get it started.

Not yet have a donor car as I'm still trying to find the best donor for this project. Laws in my country are pretty strict and specific regarding the alterations one can do to a car while still keeping it road legal, and one that is pretty much forbidden are the alterations to car chassis.

So no stretching the wheelbase. Have to find something close to original. With this and few other things considered, this won't be exact match for the original but keeping it close.

So rear/mid engine cars are out of question because of too short wheelbases. Car will be ether 4WD or RWD, and Mitsubishi Eclipse and Nissan 200SX are the best picks for donors at this time. We'll see what I end up to, deciding and buying donor on this month.

General building will be done during summer, not in a hurry to make this happen. Meantime I'll be making other smaller stuff ready.

Also fabricating most of the stuff myself to keep the budget under control so lots of DIY stuff coming. Hopefully.

Already got this thing started by fabricating first plug for the mirrors, this firts one is just to be used as reference for some measures and angles. Next I'll make the real plugs that are used to pull molds out of to cast the composite parts.

Ref points to make these correct size are gotten from 3D scan of TR and also have aftermarket mirror glasses bought to use for measuring and fitting.

Also made Ferrari emblem by casting aluminium. Used scrap aluminium from intake manifold and made mold out of fast curing self leveling screed. Plaster of Paris is another way, but have found out that construction materials are better and a lot cheaper to make hard molds. Plug was made out of foam board.

I'll make mirror bases by casting aluminium and take exact photos of this procedure then and post them. This emblem was just an test version but came out so nice after polishing that I'll be using this.

Next I'll start fabricating mirrors to an end product and be posting the procedure. Still figuring out if I want to do polyurethane cast or fiberglass resin cast out of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170408_181830.jpg (86.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170408_181854.jpg (80.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170408_220146.jpg (83.4 KB, 144 views)
Available from eBay
Old 10th April 2017, 19:22

LeighV6 is on a distinguished road

Best of luck, this looks like an awesome project.
Old 10th April 2017, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighV6 View Post
Best of luck, this looks like an awesome project.
Thank you. I hope to find good donor car quickly to get the bodywork started but till then it's all about the "smaller" details.
Old 10th April 2017, 20:39

Piguin is on a distinguished road

Best of luck with finding a donor soon, with the skills you display so far it will be one very interesting build
Old 10th April 2017, 23:22
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum. Love fabrication work so really looking forward to this and seeing how you go through the process of the different methods.

John
Old 11th April 2017, 09:27

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

You don't say what country you are in but if a Mitsubishi Eclipse is an option you could probably pick up a Mitsubishi GTO of 3000GT depending on your country.
3 litre V6, Twin Turbo and 4WD as well as 4 wheel steering.
Unbelievably quick, don't tend to rust and reasonably priced.
Old 11th April 2017, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
You don't say what country you are in but if a Mitsubishi Eclipse is an option you could probably pick up a Mitsubishi GTO of 3000GT depending on your country.
3 litre V6, Twin Turbo and 4WD as well as 4 wheel steering.
Unbelievably quick, don't tend to rust and reasonably priced.
I thought those two cars also plus Dodge Stealth VR4 which is "sister" car if those with a bit better side window profile but with these the biggest problem is the space between rear wheel arc and door.
In real TR measurement between wheel arc and edge of the door is close to 600mm but these previous cars mentioned only about 180mm.
With Eclipse it's around 415mm and 200sx close to 360mm.

Not much room for side grilles on 3000gt or Stealth. Fast beautiful cars with good driveability, that's true!

I have one 4WD Eclipse looked with 315hp and 500Nm and I think for this project it would perform greatly to the looks.

Decitions, decisions...
Old 11th May 2017, 20:20

swifty is on a distinguished road

Like the emblem badge, neat work.

Did you cnc router the foam board.
Old 11th May 2017, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Like the emblem badge, neat work.

Did you cnc router the foam board.
No, it's done old-school, hand carving and sanding and a bit of plain luck to get the angles close to original.