- Given how my morning has gone, I think I should just stick to photographing clouds.
As, unfortunately, I think I have finally reached "the straw that broke the camel's back" stage.
I have certainly overcome bigger challenges during this build than my current paint problems.
But to be still stuck in the painting cycle after all the hours I've thrown at this recently is very hard to take.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Stupidity Beyond Belief:
First thing this morning I cleaned the body shell ready for painting.
Then I lightly rubbed down both the bonnet and boot lid to take the edge of the shine.
Note: I am actually on my second tin of BRG and it is a slightly lighter shade that the first one.
Then I was very careful to apply the paint as thinly as possible to the body shell.
( Although I was only covering the repaired areas at this stage. )
This was also the coolest outside temperature that I have painted in and I'm sure that helped too.
A brief inspection showed a much better surface than the last time, but there are still a few blemishes.
So far, so good...
Then I moved to the tent, although it appears I may have left my brain on the front driveway when I did so.
This was supposed to be the final coat of BRG for the bulk of the bonnet.
However, I knew I would need to come back and put an extra coat on the patches of high build primer.
That seemed like a decent enough plan, so I get to work, starting from the back.
Again, so far, so good…
Then I got to the area of high build primer around the bonnet nose.
( Photo from yesterday. )
Remember the plan, one coat of BRG on now, and then come back another day to add an extra layer?
Well, I completely forgot both the plan and all the lessons I've learnt in the last few weeks.
As I fully loaded up the paint brush and smothered the repaired area in paint.
If I'd actually taken a photo at this stage you would have seen a beautiful surface that really made me smile.
Obviously that smug face didn't last very long, as no sooner had I turned my back when this happened...
At which point there was a prolonger period of profanity as I cursed my own stupidity.
If the tent was actually a garage, I would have walked over and banged my head repeatedly against the brick wall.
At this point, I still had the boot lid to do and guess what?
If you apply the BRG thinly to the repaired area in high build primer there is no problem whatsoever.
So at least I can 100% confirm that the wrinkles in the paint are definitely operator error.
( Although the recent heat wave was also a contributing factor. )
I may add some thinner to the BRG paint (recommended for spraying) for the final coat on the body shell.
As I said at the start, this really has been a test of my resolve, as this had been a very long project.
I know I am close to the finish line, but simply do not have an unlimited supply of hours to play with.
( I will be back at a desk tomorrow!
Therefore I am simply going to live with whatever standard of paint finish I end up with.
Until next time, take care, Paul.