Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 23rd June 2017, 17:16

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Struggling…
When I put the covers on the body shell late on Wednesday night the paint felt very solid to the touch.

But I guess because it remained pretty hot overnight the foam pads I added to my wooden tonneau cover left a mark.

An inspection of the body shell revealed a few areas where I didn't put enough paint on.

Thankfully, there was not a single area with any major paint cracking.

Unfortunately, there were lots of areas with small scale ripples.

Now the idea behind using this truck coat paint was great in theory…

Apply a single thick coat and then flat/cut/polish into a great shine.

I could see this in action on one of the aero humps, where some gentle rubbing with 400 grit gave me this.

Not in strict time order, but when this area was wiped down it was as smooth as it looked.

However, in practise the rest of the car is very lumpy and looks like this after some hard sanding down.

It does get better if you throw more effort at it.

Apart from the areas which go straight through to the undercoat.

So by the time I'd wiped the whole car down it was looking very old indeed.

By the end of the sanding session I'd also managed to wear away a small section of my little finger.
( Obviously rubbing paint dust into the open wound was bound to help the healing process. )

End of Part 1…

Last edited by Paul L; 23rd June 2017 at 17:17.. Reason: Posted in wrong order!
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:19

Friday - Part 2:
As soon as I started painting the body shell, the sun suddenly appeared and the temperature rose.

So whilst this may look good from a distance, another rash of ripples has already appeared in the fresh paint.

Then it was back to the tent, where I decided to go back a step on a few areas that had reacted badly again.

So the bonnet and the boot lid were given a mixed of high build primer and patches of BRG.

Getting trapped in this Groundhog Day of 'repair and repaint' is pretty soul destroying really.

The only crumb of comfort I had was the reflection from the bonnet bulge.

This shows that it is certainly possible to get a shiny finish.

However, I am now having serious doubts about what level of finish I can achieve for the car as a whole.

But I'll worry about that another day, take care, Paul.
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:13
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Paul, what are you cleaning your brushes in, wondering if that might be causing the reaction. Some of the rippling is reminiscent of laying on the paint a bit too thick, but I'm certainly no expert in this field.

John
Old 24th June 2017, 06:38

JG - Hi John,

I've used different brushes for each paint layer and both cleaned them in thinners and used brand new ones.
( To check if the cleaning process was the problem. )

I think is probably a combination of the outside temperature and its impact on paint thickness .

As yesterday the driveway was hotter than the tent and the problems are on the body shell.

Whereas, the other day the tent was hotter than the drive and the problems were on the bonnet.

So I will try one last time to fix and repaint the body shell in the shade / low heat.

Or I will adopting a 'survivor' look to get me back on the road.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 24th June 2017, 17:33

Last Chance Saloon:
I spent the morning taking my eldest daughter to her first university open day.
( Well, technically, she went around with my wife as, obviously, I am too embarrassing to be seen with. )

However, jokes aside, this does signal the beginning of the end for the time I have available to finishing painting the car.

So the car is going back on the road one way, or the other, in the next couple of weeks.

If the paint is a mess then I will just have to live with it until I get another chance to fix it, which may be late 2018!

The good news is that there wasn't a single wrinkle on the bonnet.

So that got a second coat of high build primer in an attempt to even up the paint thickness.

It also got some more patches of BRG, again to build up some of the areas that had major cracking.

Note: You can also see where I added an extra layer of BRG along the rear edge of the bonnet.
( As I figured that is going to be a high wear area. )

There was just one small wrinkle on the boot lid, where I know I went back and added some extra paint.

So that also got a mixture of primer and BRG.

I started off in one corner of the body shell...

As it really looked and felt like it was going to rain any minute.

Eventually, I had sanded down all the wrinkles and a few other rough spots as well.

However, I am going to wait for the morning before attempting to add the next layer of BRG.
( When it will be both cooler and leave me longer with the covers off for the paint to dry. )

I then put some dust sheets under the tonneau "feet" to stop the foam sticking to the paint.

All I need now is a bit of luck with the weather / paint so that I can end tomorrow with everything painted and no wrinkles to be seen.

Until then, take care, Paul.
Old 24th June 2017, 21:08

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Hopefully tomorrow is a dry , cooler day ..today in Dorset would have been perfect conditions for painting outside ...

I think you are making good ground ...I actually like the rubbed through , grey spots look ...but I know thats not the plan ..but if weather and time beats you this time around , its still a good looking car to cruise around in with the battle scars ...you will get no less a positive reaction ..I guarantee it ...
Old 25th June 2017, 06:40

Gary – I’ll be checking the weather forecast shortly and making my plans for the day from there.

I must confess that when I saw my body shell looking like this…

It did remind me of your recent Spyder builds with ‘survivor’ paint jobs.

The only difference seems to be that you used your painting skills to achieve the look.

Whereas, I appear to have achieved a similar look due to my lack of painting skills.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 25th June 2017, 07:27

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Morning Paul , as always i am amazed by the amount of work you are putting into your car , must say its good to see the picture of the clouds over your house! they have been missing for a while Geoff .
Old 25th June 2017, 11:14

Geoff - Given how my morning has gone, I think I should just stick to photographing clouds.

As, unfortunately, I think I have finally reached "the straw that broke the camel's back" stage.

I have certainly overcome bigger challenges during this build than my current paint problems.

But to be still stuck in the painting cycle after all the hours I've thrown at this recently is very hard to take.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stupidity Beyond Belief:
First thing this morning I cleaned the body shell ready for painting.

Then I lightly rubbed down both the bonnet and boot lid to take the edge of the shine.

Note: I am actually on my second tin of BRG and it is a slightly lighter shade that the first one.

Then I was very careful to apply the paint as thinly as possible to the body shell.
( Although I was only covering the repaired areas at this stage. )

This was also the coolest outside temperature that I have painted in and I'm sure that helped too.

A brief inspection showed a much better surface than the last time, but there are still a few blemishes.

So far, so good...

Then I moved to the tent, although it appears I may have left my brain on the front driveway when I did so.

This was supposed to be the final coat of BRG for the bulk of the bonnet.

However, I knew I would need to come back and put an extra coat on the patches of high build primer.

That seemed like a decent enough plan, so I get to work, starting from the back.

Again, so far, so good…

Then I got to the area of high build primer around the bonnet nose.
( Photo from yesterday. )

Remember the plan, one coat of BRG on now, and then come back another day to add an extra layer?

Well, I completely forgot both the plan and all the lessons I've learnt in the last few weeks.

As I fully loaded up the paint brush and smothered the repaired area in paint.

If I'd actually taken a photo at this stage you would have seen a beautiful surface that really made me smile.

Obviously that smug face didn't last very long, as no sooner had I turned my back when this happened...

At which point there was a prolonger period of profanity as I cursed my own stupidity.

If the tent was actually a garage, I would have walked over and banged my head repeatedly against the brick wall.

At this point, I still had the boot lid to do and guess what?

If you apply the BRG thinly to the repaired area in high build primer there is no problem whatsoever.

So at least I can 100% confirm that the wrinkles in the paint are definitely operator error.
( Although the recent heat wave was also a contributing factor. )

I may add some thinner to the BRG paint (recommended for spraying) for the final coat on the body shell.

As I said at the start, this really has been a test of my resolve, as this had been a very long project.

I know I am close to the finish line, but simply do not have an unlimited supply of hours to play with.
( I will be back at a desk tomorrow! )

Therefore I am simply going to live with whatever standard of paint finish I end up with.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 25th June 2017, 14:38

Paul ..now you know the problem , you are on the home stretch really ...if you can flat back the pickling on the bonnet today and get a thin coat on tonight to dry overnight ...you are pretty much there aren't you ...?

The car looks 200 % better in colour , even unfinished , so if its a case of re-assemble until you can load some more on ..its not too tragic is it ?
Old 25th June 2017, 16:47

Gary - Thanks for a perfectly timed reply.

Sunday Afternoon Redemption:
I took a break from car work to lick my wounds and watch a film to take my mind off it.

Then had a quick look at the forum and saw Gary's post and decided to get back to work…

I had a look around the body shell and the wrinkling was neither as deep nor as wide spread as before.

So that has all been sanded down, but I can't put any fresh paint on today.
( As I will have to put the covers on before it would have had a chance to dry fully. )

Still, as Gary rightly pointed out, it does look miles better in green, even if the finish is rough.

Plus the 'Hall of Mirrors' effect that I could see in the paint on the side of the cockpit made me smile.

Thankfully, the tent would protect any fresh paint, so the mess I made was sanded off.

I also realised that the way I painted the 'groove' between the headlight and bonnet nose was always going to 'pool' the paint.

To say I was being careful when I added some paint to the bonnet would be an understatement.

In fact, I was pleased to see that I didn't actually get full coverage on this first pass.

Even so, it is still a big improvement from where I was earlier today.

Given how my day started, I wasn't expecting it to end on a high note.

So until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 25th June 2017, 19:49

I think going back to work tomorrow could be the real perfect timing ...

If you have pretty much got a total coverage with minimal pickling ...I would take advantage of the work period and leave it for a few days to properly harden up ...if it's like the paint I have used before ...it will actually flow out a bit as it dries thoroughly ..so , again , leave it , if you can , I know it's frustrating , but a few days will definitely help ...the harder the paint the less likely you are to rub through and get a decent finish ....

I really like the transformation from grey to green ...I think its definitely worth the effort , its transformed the beast into a very authentic looking little car ...
Old 25th June 2017, 22:20

molleur is on a distinguished road

Looking better each session, please keep at it. Lovely in BRG!
Old Yesterday, 05:52

Gary – Cheers.

It looks like the combination of real work and rain will keep me away from the car for a few days.

I just need to think about the timings for the final coats of BRG and the flatting back of keys areas.

For example, the sides of the body shell can wait until I’m back on the road before they need to be smooth.

Whereas, it makes sense to flat back areas around the lights, mirrors, screens, etc, before bolting things back on.

Similarly, the bonnet nose needs to be finished so I can paint the yellow band around the grille opening.
( Unfortunately, this is one of my repair areas, which needs me to carefully build up the layers of BRG. )

Either way, I do expect to be back on the road, sometime in July.

And I’d really like the car to be as shiny as I can get it, complete with stickers, before its 2nd MOT in August.

Molleur – Thanks.

Don’t worry, I will definitely finish the job, it is just a question of how long it will take me.

Even if the 2nd tin of BRG isn’t as ‘deep’ in colour as the 1st, the car does look much better painted.

Although I do fear that the bonnet may end up with some traces of the worst/deepest cracking.
( Despite me adding extra layers of paint over the repairs. )

But that is OK, as this has been a ’Frankenstein Hillbilly’ build for a number of years now.

Cheers, Paul.
Old Yesterday, 10:19

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Paul the yellow band will it be vinyl or paint?
If its vinyl then no more brg is required in that area

Ironically the Roadster was painted twice if you go back to the thread- first time it was in Gn18 proper D type colour but the second batch came out much lighter.

I know how close you are looking at the paint but once all the parts go back on it will look better than you ever dreamed.
Just remember how happy you were when the car showed all the scars and in grey primer. The reaction you got when you took it out.

That's nothing compared to when you take her out next.