Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th December 2011, 21:44

morris is on a distinguished road

mine looks good too.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:53
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Mines OK Mike
Old 15th December 2011, 22:15

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Mike

Zinc as per list is correct for me, thanks.

Sorton
Old 16th December 2011, 07:27
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Zinc as per the list is correct for me.
Will drill my own holes for the master cylinder fixxings.

Robin
Old 16th December 2011, 09:32

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Mine is good too.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:44
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I is also good, me thinks - yeah all fine

As for the adapter I'll drill my own holes / studs for the master cylinder
Old 19th December 2011, 11:39
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up In Customs

Servo Update.

They have now arrived in the UK, and are awaiting Customs clearance.

I am still hopeful I will receive them later this week. However, I think Santa may be late for most of you this year................sorry. But at least you should have them to fit over the Christmas break/brake (excuse the pun!).
Old 19th December 2011, 14:39
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default Servo

Excellent news....looking forward to getting started!
Old 19th December 2011, 17:13
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Awesome
Old 20th December 2011, 18:27
Enthusiast

Default Second Test Response.

Hi All

David Siddall collected one of the two sample servos on Saturday, and has just sent me the following comments:

[Hi Mike. Just a note to say that I've installed the servo and although I've only been up and down the drive, first impressions are very favourable. The brake pedal has more bite which is what I wanted.
The adjustment on the servo pushrod is not quite long enough with the m/c that I have, so I turned a suitable radius on a 25 mm length of 10mm diameter rod and put m6 thread into it which screws into the end of the servo pushrod.* This brought the end of the pushrod just flush with m/c face of the adaptor plate which is where the metro pushrod was.
I'm happy with the adaptor plate that you've already sent**: studs welded in and a coat of hammerite and it looks fine.
I hope you are as pleased when you get to fit yours...................thanks once again. Regards David. ]

* GOO has prepared exactly the same for his Sportster as par6t of his evening classes ( - and very kindly one for me too.)
** I gave David one of the first prototype adaptor plates designed for the Duksville servo, so the vacuum elbow was slightly out of place.

I have asked David to give us a more extensive report when he has had the chance to go out on the road and test it more fully.

But re-inforces GOO's comments...............................
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:45
Enthusiast

Default They are here!

Hi All

The servos have arrived - and look very good.
I hope those that ordered chrome are up to lots of polishing - they are very shiny, but show up greasy little mits really badly!

It is apparent, if you look closely, that the Powder coated version differs from the Zinc and Chrome version - the elbow is in a slightly different position relative to the fixing posts. Enough to mean a universal adaptor will not fit both.

I have now signed off the powder coat adaptor, and hope to get them made tomorrow.

Due to the variance between finishes, I am still waiting to sign off the Chrome/Zinc adaptor. Unfortunately this means there will now be 5 variances of adaptor,(with/without holes for m/c: stainless/mildsteel) and will make the average cost £2.50 higher due to set up costs.

I will start to arrange Parcelforce delivery of the complete kits after Boxing day now, and confirm the postage cost for the complete kit will be £10.00

So, final costs will be:

Zinc Servo : £ 72.50
Powder Coated : £ 85.00
Chrome : £100.00
Mild steel adaptor: £ 9.50 (£7.00 to those who have paid already)
stainless adaptor : £ 12.50
Clevis + pin : £ 3.00
Delivery : £ 10.00

I'll PM those remaining with my bank details this evening. I appreciate many of you will be busy now with the Christmas build up, so there is no rush.

In the meantime, may I wish you all a Happy Christmas, and a safe driving New Year.

Kind Regards
Mike
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:30
Enthusiast

Default Final Servo Kit Costs/Delivery

Hi All

Hopefully you will all now have received a PM setting out the cost of your chosen options. As I have cut and pasted my way through around 15 of these tonight it appears I have made the odd error.
Please check that the words and values are right by refering to the cost list identified in the previous post.
If there are any more errors, please accept my apologies and let me know asap.

Also, if I have missed anyone, please let me know!

Those of you with Powder coated servos, with mildsteel adaptors will be the first to receive your kits; these adaptors are approved and ready for cutting. The design has turned out to be slightly different for the Zinc / Chrome servos, and I'm waiting for the trial template for these before signing off, and giving the go ahead for production.

It will now be early January for the latter kits, but of course I will let you know as soon as they are available. In the meantime may I wish you a happy Christmas, and a safe driving New year.

Best wishes to you all

Mike
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:33
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Paid!
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:44
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

The design has turned out to be slightly different for the Zinc / Chrome servos, and I'm waiting for the trial template for these before signing off, and giving the go ahead for production.
Probably like you, it's a surprise to see the different designs as we had all assumed it was just the coating. They seem to have different types of push rod ends and the chrome ones seem to have a kind of rubber boot just inside the m/c opening?
Any clues from MBM why they are so different?

Thanks again to you, Mike, for your diligence and commitment now you have umpteen different combinations to design, order and deliver.
I hope you (and Mrs. Mike) do have a good Christmas and you are not dreaming of servos too much.
I'm sure most of us can wait another week or so, so don't spoil your Christmas break trying to get them all shipped out. (I certainly won't need mine for at least a few weeks... )
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:34
Enthusiast

Hi Peter

Yes, it was a little surprising to see the minor variations, though not totally unexpected, as the MBM samples were slightly different from the Duksville unit. I am glad I held back on having the adaptor plates produced solely on the basis of the first two sample Powder coated servos. I have to say, my heart sank when the planned adaptor did not fit all variations............I felt a bit like the marathon runner hitting the 20 mile wall. But having got that far, you don't give up.............
I'd like to thank Mashtun for coming to my rescue. He has drawn and re-drawn the plates we require at very short notice, and made sourcing the plates so much easier. As has been said before, just another example of how well this site, and the group who use it, works for the benefit of all.
I also hope to draw Oaktree 11 in to help as well - with machining the recess to the back of the plates to clear the post rivets. And with Jason finding the Dual servo, and doing the testing it has been a true collective effort.

You have certainly been very observant of the photos!

The Chrome and Zinc servos are actually the same design, only varying by finish. The rubber bung you can see in the Chrome unit is only the transport dust cover. The push rod ends are slightly different from the Powder coated servo, but are adjustable on a thread just the same.

"Why there are small differences?" I can not be certain, but I suspect MBM may be marketing generic products along with their own units?
But which is which, and does it matter? They are all sold as "Universal" and they all appear to be good quality: much more substantial and a definite step up from the Metro unit I have, even though it was new.

I trust everyone will be happy with their their choice of finish,(Chrome guys get your dusters out!) and that the improvement in performance matches our own expectations.
Jason and David have both been very positive, but I'll only truly relax when there are more positive reports! So those of you with drivable cars, please let us all know what you think!!

I feel like I'm on the final mile now, and the end is in sight ........

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Probably like you, it's a surprise to see the different designs as we had all assumed it was just the coating. They seem to have different types of push rod ends and the chrome ones seem to have a kind of rubber boot just inside the m/c opening?
Any clues from MBM why they are so different?

Thanks again to you, Mike, for your diligence and commitment now you have umpteen different combinations to design, order and deliver.
I hope you (and Mrs. Mike) do have a good Christmas and you are not dreaming of servos too much.
I'm sure most of us can wait another week or so, so don't spoil your Christmas break trying to get them all shipped out. (I certainly won't need mine for at least a few weeks... )
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:27
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Mike, all clear now!
Great team effort, well done!!
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:46

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Money now transferred Mike.
Thanks very much and like Peter, no hurry for me.
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:53
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Mike

PM sent

Cheers

John
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:06
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Mike

PM sent