Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 5th May 2013, 19:45
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road
Default Carbon Fibre Skinning

Hi all
Having got my Sportster back last week (the expert in Caerphilly had to close his workshop at short notice, sadly without completing my re-wiring work), I am now planning to strip the bodywork off for painting, and at the same time re-do the wiring using the simplified loom and re-configured ECU (immobiliser by-passed).

I am considering a professional spray job for the glass fibre panels and carbon fibre skinning the ally doors and bonnet. Does anyone have any experiences of carbon fibre skinning, or could advise whether it would be worth the investment?

Thanks
Tim
Available from eBay
Old 7th May 2013, 21:06
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Hi all
Having got my Sportster back last week (the expert in Caerphilly had to close his workshop at short notice, sadly without completing my re-wiring work), I am now planning to strip the bodywork off for painting, and at the same time re-do the wiring using the simplified loom and re-configured ECU (immobiliser by-passed).

I am considering a professional spray job for the glass fibre panels and carbon fibre skinning the ally doors and bonnet. Does anyone have any experiences of carbon fibre skinning, or could advise whether it would be worth the investment?

Thanks
Tim
Hey Tim
Its good news you have got your Sportster back after so long!

How do you plan to by pass the EWS, I thought this had been the fundamental problem all along?

From my reading, it appears the exhaust Vanos does nothing for the power or running of the engine, it just helps with emmissions. Therefore it would be possible to run an M52 non TU set up, by adopting its engine loom.
Old 8th May 2013, 06:27
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike
Yes, its nice to have her back

I have got hold of an engine wiring loom from an E36 M52 engine dated 03/98 which has an MS41.0 DME, from which I will delete the EWS using a service such as:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=151038294072

The new loom looks considerably simpler than the old one (!!) so I am hoping that it will be a fairly straightforward job to plug it in and get the engine running again. Famous last words

Cheers
Tim
Old 8th May 2013, 15:51

Sorton is on a distinguished road

On the subject of carbon skinning, I wonder if you have seen these people:
http://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/
They were used for some trim parts on Wheeler Dealers and, although it is only carbon effect, it looked pretty good and was a great deal cheaper than the real thing. How it would work on larger panels is another question.
Sorton