Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 10th December 2011, 20:57

jraway is on a distinguished road

JMC,
I would rather not have doors. I'm thinking simplicity in the chassis structure and added strength. I though of running parallel tubes from the front to rear with an X brace where the doors would normally be. I also would like to have it as light as possible. Doors, latches, hinges all add up, and mess up the body lines. I'm hoping that the net weight of the finished car could be 1600 lbs or lighter. (I don't know how thick / heavy the body is). Thanks for the update, looking forward your pics of the stripped Miata.
Old 10th December 2011, 21:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

When I first looked into building a Spyder I really wanted doors, mainly because, well, cars have doors, right?

After speaking to Gary though, and looking at a couple of finished cars, especially '66, I decided that no doors was the way ahead for ease of build and a little extra crash protection.

That's one reason why I'm slamming mine onto the tarmac: so I can climb into the bloody thing!
Old 11th December 2011, 00:36

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Here are a few pics of the stripped down Miata. The hood, front fenders, front and rear facias, bumpers and dash easily unbolt. I used a reciprocating saw to cut out the rest. In all I probably have 8 hours to get it to this point. This car came with AC which I will remove. Still debating the heater! I still need to remove the unnecessary items from the engine compartment and clean that up. The big thing is how the bonnet fits.

I like the simplicity of not having doors, the extra side impact protection, and the clean lines. But, I realize that some people might want it to be easier to get in and out of. Half doors will still allow good bracing and make egress much easier. I probably will offer doors as an option.

I think 1600lbs finished is a reasonable goal. I have a set of race car scales and will weigh the car as it sits early next week. I'll let you know what it weighs.

Sorry for the small pictures. I need to learn how to post full size pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amiatafrtstripped.jpg (43.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Amiatarearstripped.jpg (43.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Amiatastipedside.jpg (37.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 11th December 2011, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc14 View Post

Sorry for the small pictures. I need to learn how to post full size pics.
Try going to www.photobucket.com in another browsing window.

Create a user account.

Upload your pictures to an album.

Hover your cursor over the image you want to post but don't click on the image, then click on the img code at the bottom when the drop down menu appears.

Then switch back to the madabout page and paste the img code into your post, once you click submit the image will appear.

And, as they say in France, zere you 'ave eet.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:36

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

THERE YOU GO.....

You have stripped that down a bit then .....
Old 12th December 2011, 17:37

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Looks like my wife parked that!
Old 12th December 2011, 19:37

Thank you for the directions about posting pictures. I will try to set that up here shortly. And, thanks Gary for posting my pictures.

Ain't she pretty.

I'm heading to the shop to weigh the little Demon now. My Friend Fred, (chassis engineer) thinks this is viable from a structural stand point and has done a preliminary sketch of what he sees for bracing. I will post those details after I get the body here and can sort some things out.

In the mean time I just happen to have a couple of old Kellison fiberglass bodies. I think I'll see how they fit! Having fun. Just wish I had more time!
Old 12th December 2011, 21:33

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Hmmm.... so thats what mine would have looked like if i had the balls and a work area with a roof. Looking good John but as Garry said this sort of build would be subject to an IVA test (a single vehicle approval test)
Its possible but even production cars would have difficullty with radius test etc. Im sure some will try it here and I will be interested to see one in the flesh
Old 12th December 2011, 22:53

I weighed the Miata as you see it in the pictures today. It was 1653 lbs, with 40% on the rear. The weight balance isn't to surprising as a lot of the rear was cut away. The bottom line is I don't like the way it looks, the weight balance, or the high over all weight. I think the Sammio body deserves a cleaner, stronger, better balanced chassis.
So, I am scrapping this idea and will build a dedicated space frame with aluminum panels that will form the floors, bulkheads and firewalls. When the Bonnet is open the engine compartment will look clean and purposeful. More work for me but less work in the long run for the builder. Plus the left over Miata parts can be sold which would offset the extra cost of having the dedicated frame.

I believe that the Sammio MX5 Spyder with dedicated space frame will weigh around 1450 LBS. I think that using the Miata tub would result in the car weighing closer to 1750 lbs. That's a pretty big difference.

I realize that the whole idea for doing the Sammio on an older car in England is to eliminate the expensive certifications that would be required. In the US, in most states, it's pretty easy to register a "Specialty Constructed Vehicle." So, using the dedicated frame here is not that big of a deterrent.

I won't begin the frame until the body arrives.

Out of curiosity how does the MEV EXOCET get registered? And, what does it cost?
Old 12th December 2011, 22:55

Roadster is on a distinguished road

The exocet requires IVA and costs about 2500
Old 13th December 2011, 07:34

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

JMC14 - I ended up thinking the same with regards to the Miata so got the TVR and am putting it under a G46. This gives me a wider body (like you want) a decent space frame chassis (like you want) and a V8 up front (like everybody wants).

The chassis is fairly simple :

It might be worth talking to Gary about something similar. If you make your chassis the same wheel base and width with similar touch points we could share the same body.

This would give Gary something over here to hang the bodywork on to get the sizing exactly right for you. When I took the TVR down to see Gary it was a good fit with just 4-5 inches needing chopping out of the current G46 body. Most of this was from the section between the drivers door and the rear wheel arch which is the one bit of the design that can easily be shortened without ruining the overall look.

If you are interested I am happy to let Gary use my TVR for measurements.

It gives you a couple of different marketing opportunities too. Rebodied TVRs with the problem electrics and dubious styling removed to leave just the good bits. Same thing but with your 'special' chassis. Your chassis, 638hp 6.2L LS9, Sammio bodywork and Cobra drivers crying by the roadside... ;-)

Just a thought.

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 13th December 2011 at 07:38..
Old 28th December 2011, 03:27

I was able to remove the body from the Miata cradles yesterday. Here are a couple of pictures. As shown it weighs 967 lbs. i think the finished car will come in right at 1400lbs. Having fun.

Old 28th December 2011, 09:13

looking good John...

That picture ( along with the fact that there are millions of them out there ) demonstrates perfectly why I think the MX5 is going to be a very credible donor for years to come....

SVA here in the U.K. is a pain , but not unsurmountable....
Old 31st December 2011, 19:14

While I am waiting for my body to arrive I have lot's (maybe too much) time to think about this project. I am thinking that I should build the space frame that the suspension cradles bolt into with a wheelbase of 94-95 inches. I would leave the engine/trans/driveshaft the stock length and move the front suspension forward. This would only require new motor mounts. The drive train would not have to be modified. I believe that a lengthened bonnet would fit over the engine without needing to add scoops, blisters, or bulges. The added length means that a wide variety of V8 engines could be used along with several different bodies. One thing I am learning from this fun forum is that everyone wants to build their car, their way. The more flexibility that I build into the kit sold in the US is an advantage I think. The G46 would also fit with some mods. (Gary I see the need for another body soon!)

Anyway here are some full size photoshop pics showing a 94 inch wheelbase.

Last edited by jmc14; 31st December 2011 at 19:19..
Old 31st December 2011, 20:31

I love the look of the rear lights mounted higher up on the rear wings (sorry, fenders?).

Can you actually source a set of lights like those or are you just expressing your artistic talent with the old photoshop thingy?

Got to agree with you about everyone building their Sammio their way, ol' blue eyes would've been proud.

Anyway, good on you for investing time and money in Gary's baby, that should make a dent in Britain's balance of trade deficit.
Old 31st December 2011, 20:46

CORVETTE TAIL LIGHTS......Late 50's early 60's ...
Old 31st December 2011, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
CORVETTE TAIL LIGHTS......Late 50's early 60's ...
Thanks Gary, will be searching ebay for a set...
Old 31st December 2011, 20:57

I was just going to post he same. Thanks Gary. They are available at:

www.corvetteamerica.com
Old 31st December 2011, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc14 View Post
I was just going to post he same. Thanks Gary. They are available at:

www.corvetteamerica.com
Nice lights but they appear to be, um, $675.00

That's a tad more than I was hoping to spend...
Old 31st December 2011, 21:49

I hadn't looked at the price. And, I am not the gifted artist that did the photoshop pics. My friend Fred Wood, who is a chassis engineer sent me the pictures. I have been in discussions with him about chassis designs for this project. He's been playing with the body design.
At $675! I won't be using them either!