Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 30th November 2011, 21:41

seanick is on a distinguished road
Question 30yr old kit still registered as donor

I have just bought a kit which has been on the road since 1980. Its still registered as a Herald.
Have I made an expensive mistake?
Do I need to get it just checked or SVA tested?

Any pointers appreciated.
very confused!
Available from eBay
Old 5th December 2011, 07:01

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Does it still have the Herald chassis? If so it won't need SVA/IVA. In that case you may be able to contact DLVA and have the log book changed, though you may have to take the car for inspection, and even this route may have problems.

If it does not have the Herald chassis then things become more difficult. One 'easy' option is try to put it through IVA, but depending on what is fitted that may be rather difficult (e.g. radius failures, glass requiring to be 'E' marked and so on). This could be costly as IVA costs £450 and registration was £55 when I did it.

The alternative is if you have sufficient documentation is to be able to demonstrate the kit was built in pre-SVA days and used ever since. For that you would need the receipt for the original kits, and as much documentary evidence as you can get (MOTs, garage bills, build photos, letters from the original builder, etc). What happens then will also depend on how tenacious you are, and if the DVLA are willing to provide and exemption.

Your final choice is to carry on as you are. It has worked for the last 30 years and if there are any problems plead ignorance.
Old 5th December 2011, 17:51

Hi, firstly, thanks for replying!
It is on a Herald chassis, with ply/ali body, as its a Bur****ton Ar**w.
Unfortunately it has come with no history apart from the V5. Last MOT details are on line as 2007 and its obviously been together a long time. Previous owners dont seem to have telephone numbers so thats a bit of a dead end, though I may actually write to them, on real paper (!).
I would quite like to register it correctly as it seems a shame to have its value reduced, registered as is, and if I put time and effort into sorting it out I would want to realise an increase in value when it was time to find it a new home.

Although it has the Herald chassis, its a bit trimmed up (out riggers and rear extensions), and looking at some threads on the Sammio Spyder it seams they make a point of changing nothing untill its been looked at.

What year did SVA come in?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 6th December 2011, 06:40

SVA came in about 2000, but was superceeded by IVA in April 2009.
The price went from£190 to £450!
Old 8th December 2011, 20:33

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

Why not just mot it? Is it registered as a pre 72 and tax free historic herald? If so why make waves
Old 9th December 2011, 11:17
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
Why not just mot it? Is it registered as a pre 72 and tax free historic herald? If so why make waves
.............because it is not registered correctly , and you would be prosecuted if stopped!

The best thing to do is get the registration details changed. If you have previous MOT certificates, and when the kit was built, you can prove the car has been on the road a number of years, and that you are properly re-registering it. This way you will retain the historic status, giving you free road tax every year. That alone is worth a fortune over the coming years!
Old 9th December 2011, 14:40

Also if plod ping you on the PNC they are very likely to spot it is not a Herald, and then you could be in a load of trouble.
Old 11th December 2011, 16:31

When did they stop allowing a body change on an original chassis?
If it is registered as a Triumph herald with a 2 seat sports body thats what it is.
Old 12th December 2011, 06:55

They haven't, you can still re-body on an original chassis. The Sammio builders are all doing that. But if the chassis has been modified then you are entering a grey area.

It might be worth putting a post in the Sammio area to ask how they go about registration.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
.............because it is not registered correctly , and you would be prosecuted if stopped!

The best thing to do isd get the registration detauls changed. If you have passed MOT certificates, and when the kit was built, you can prove the car has been on the road a number of years, and that you are properly registering it. This way you will retain the historic status, giving you free road tax every year. That alone is worth a lot over the coming years!
Problem is it came with no history. I have applied to dvla. For a list of previous owners so l hope to trace some history. I am going to put Triumph Herald badges on the back for now. WHAT IS IT? Its a Triumph. Herald officer. Says so on the back.

Anyone got any old looking build pics ?
Old 21st December 2011, 19:21

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

Just don't worry about it, leave it as it is and seek out the history so if you are ever stopped then you have the info to back it up or when you have collected all the info you can apply to the DVLA for the make/name to be changed.

There is a Burlington register so they may be able to help.
Old 21st December 2011, 20:50

Thanks Chris, that's what I am going to do. New discs and a calliper kit this weekend then the Mot is booked for the 29th Dec, before the test tightens up on 1st Jan. I am still going to put a little Herald badge on the back though!
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 18th January 2012, 19:51

What happened? Did it pass? Are you driving it? We should be told.
Old 19th January 2012, 19:46

YES IT PASSED, and have been using it as my daily driver, although with the last few days being wet I have returned to my morris, as it has a roof......

V5 not back yet, so enjoying it while I can!
Old 24th January 2012, 15:56

Congratulations. But why use a tin top? Why not get a flying helmet and look dead hard? Then put up an umbrella at traffic lights.

Last edited by Dpaz; 24th January 2012 at 15:59.. Reason: addition
Old 24th January 2012, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
Congratulations. But why use a tin top? Why not get a flying helmet and look dead hard? Then put up an umbrella at traffic lights.

err, because I have more sense?
Old 9th March 2012, 13:34

Strangecloud is on a distinguished road
Default Registration

I built my Spartan in 1979 and I've been trying to change the details on my log book/V5C for some time now. I wrote to DVLA recently with a copy from their own records showing my application to change the documentation from Triumph Herald to Spartan from 1986. They wrote back saying I needed to supply a letter from the manufacturer confirming the description and, if possible, to supply the DVLA/SMMT make and model codes for my vehicle. Since the Spartan company no longer exists this is of course impossible.
So it may be tricky to get the details altered.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 9th March 2012, 16:56

Camo is on a distinguished road

I too have the same sort of problem, just got hold of a Moss Mamba still registered as a Vitesse. I have no history with the car, no chassis plate, no body number and of course the Moss company ceased trading in the 80s / 90s so there is no real help there... I am a fair bit away from being road worthy but would love some encouragement before I spend countless hours rebuilding the brakes, suspension, refitting and engine and gearbox and generally tinkering !

Stu

Last edited by Camo; 9th March 2012 at 16:57.. Reason: spelling
Old 9th March 2012, 20:55

Strangecloud is on a distinguished road
Default Moss

Hi Stu, if you still have an type of Triumph engine, suspension and chassis it shouldn't be a problem to MOT and tax as a Vitesse; I'm concerned that that one day increasing bureaucracy will mean questions will be asked. Apart from the engine, gearbox, drivetrain, suspension, chassis and bodywork my car is completely original...
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:11

marcus944 is on a distinguished road
Default my kit car

hello all
i am new to kit cars so please bear with me.
as said in other post i got a kit car this week it is still says donor details on v5.

this is what i know and have
it was last change keeper in 1994 was first reg in 1968 has 8 pre keepers
i have 6 mots 94 89 88 90 93 89 all which just say vw i have a parts record from a bears vw supply with a list of parts that was ordered it says it a
make vw model morgan kit date on it 09/08/94 also have ones from beetlemania saying it a kit car date 10/10/90 9/6/93 have wiring instructions from kit kraft ltd
i also have failed mot forms that say it vw based kitcar date 22/5/93 and one dated 82 saying vw kitcar
what do i need to do first please note i know nothing about kit cars