Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 20th October 2006, 16:28
Kit Car Dreamer

Chris71 is on a distinguished road
Default Which car? :)

Hi,

Hello first of all as I've just joined the forum!

I've currently got a Quatum 2+2 which was until recently used as my everyday transport. I'm now looking to sell the 2+2 (give me a shout if you want one!!) and I'm going to replace it with two cars ....a fun car to be used as often as I can get away and a second boring workhorse basically just for lugging mountain bikes around (which I did with some difficulty with the Quantum!)

Anyway - what do people suggest?! I'm looking to buy a second hand car ith an absolute maximum budget of £7k, preferably significantly less. Must be fun, rapid-ish and rear wheel drive and docile, responsive handling. A drop top would be a bonus, but not essential. As I plan to use it in all weathers I'd prefer something with reasonable weather protection, but again its not the main priority.

Aside of several production sports cars, I've been thing of:

Dutton Phaeton (seem to be highly regarded and potentially quick if basic)
GTM Rossa K3 (heard a few horror stories of rear engined handling...)
GTM Coupe (see above!)
Fury/Stylus (not sure my budget would buy a good one)
Midtec Spider (if I could live with the looks and the lack of doors)
Ginetta G32 (ok, not strictly a kit....)

Can anyone think of anything I've missed and/or comment on what is there?

Many thanks. Hope everyone has a good weekend

Chris.
Available from eBay
Old 23rd October 2006, 08:52
Kit Car Dreamer

....anyone?
Old 23rd October 2006, 19:29
Enthusiast

kartman is on a distinguished road

Chris

Welcome aboard.....!

£7K is a lot for some of the cars you mention.

If you could stretch it a little how about a GTM Libra?

Kartman
Old 24th October 2006, 10:50
Kit Car Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman
Chris

Welcome aboard.....!

£7K is a lot for some of the cars you mention.

If you could stretch it a little how about a GTM Libra?

Kartman
Hi

I know - that was really more of an absolute maximum (including some of the more exotic production cars I'm looking at) but I think I'd have to scale that down to more like 6k, and even then its still an absolute maximum. I'm happy with a £1,500 Dutton if it ticks all the right boxes!

So, on those grounds the Libra is out, but I would very much like one.

Think my favourites kits are the GTM Rossa K3 or a Fury/Stylus. On the grounds they are fairly focused open sportscars, but with reasonable weather protection etc. I like the Dutton too, but not sure I'm hardcore enough to commute in something with no doors and only a very basic hood. Hmmm...

Also looking at production alternatives, at which point my favourites are TVR S3 (or possibly a 'wedge' 350i), MX5 suitably tweaked or a Porsche 944 S2.

Aside of offering something more fun and individual the principal advantage of the kits is insurance - I'm 23 and could happily afford to insure any 4 cylinder car engined fury, but would stuggle on the premium for a slower TVR S3.

Any further ideas?

Also, I have a question - anyone driven a GTM K3 on the limit? I've heard some people say their sublime, others that they're "very rear engined" and once provoked will put me straight through the hedge!! I have a vague idea what I'm doing, but want something I can play with a bit rather than having to concentrate on keeping it on the black stuff
Old 24th October 2006, 13:20
Enthusiast

Fuoriserie is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

Have you though about the old Mini Marcos, or the Midtec Bronze?, they should be pretty cheap to run, affordable and you can tune the engines if you needed more power.

I like them both, and are classic kits.

Ciao
Italo
Old 24th October 2006, 14:43
Kit Car Dreamer

Hi,

They're a similar thing to my Quantum really - thought about them at the time I got that (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitc...ale.php?id=711 if anyones interested!!) but not really what I'm after now.

Specifically, I'd like rear wheel drive and a reasonable ammount of straightline performance for overtaking (don't mind if it tops out at 100mph, just as long as it has an excellent 50-70 time and entertaining handling!)

Chris
Old 24th October 2006, 15:34
Kit Car Dreamer

Just had a thought....

Anyone know anything about the Gemini? (by Autotune or someone??) quite a nice looking '60s-esque kit car?
Old 24th October 2006, 21:33
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

How about a Marcos Mantula/spyder. Should be able to get one within your budget.

John
Old 25th October 2006, 07:48
Kit Car Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
How about a Marcos Mantula/spyder. Should be able to get one within your budget.

John
That's a point - I do remember seeing a few around the top end of my budget. Can anyone tell me a bit mroe about them - are they Ford V6/Rover V8? I always assumed Marcos was aimed at people who thought TVRs were for wimps ....what are they like to drive (I'd immagine a bit of a handful, but I'm ready to be corrected!!)

I'll keep my eyes peeled, but from what I remember they'd still be fairly marginal on budget(?)

I think a few G27s stray into that sort of price range too come to think about it.
Old 25th October 2006, 12:32
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

The last one that was advertised on Madabout was a Marcos Martina convertible for £5995 so I'm sure you should pick one up on your budget. The Martina as the name suggests was based on the Cortina mechanicals so was the 'budget' Marcos. Many Marcos's will have the Essex and Cologne V6's and Rover V8's as well. Never driven one myself but by all accounts were very capable cars. Early 1800 cars were powered by Volvo 1800 engines and have wooden chassis.

John