Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 13th May 2016, 11:38

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen can we please play nicely on my thread? Sammio or miglia when I had to pay $6000 for transport the cost of the original fades. I considered dodgying up a body myself but would surely have stuffed it up badder than any option here. And I'm having fun!

Play nicely please. (Or no more photos!)
Tim
Old 13th May 2016, 11:40

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Keep on posting those pics Tim - I enjoy them, and am enjoying my Mig (and loving some of those Sammio builds as inspiration as well).

Peace

Marc
Old 13th May 2016, 16:17

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Absolutely Tim ...sorry for diverting away from your thread .

Please continue to post pics and ask for any advice , should you require it ...I had a Miglia body about 2 years ago , so am familiar with them and their peculiarities and have just ordered another one to be received in about 4 weeks time to start another build ...
Old 14th May 2016, 07:23

Paul L is on a distinguished road

1iTim - Another skim through DaveCymru's build found this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
…Quick txt to young Mike and he's just confirmed that i can leave the radiator in the normal position and it all should fit just fine…
I have also dragged out a few photos from "next door".

Michiel fitted a remote reservoir on Spyder #47.

And Swifty did something similar on his Navigator.

Whereas, Mac (Viatron) also went for remote reservoirs, but combined these with floor mounted pedals.

You can see his pedal set up here, before the bulkhead panel went in.

Hope that helps, Paul.
Old 14th May 2016, 09:03

Thanks Paul.
No the radiator does not fit where it began. I've moved it down a notch on the shrouds and will get a Morris 1100 expansion tank, and a pair of 9" fans.

One problem I did not think I'd face is that the bonnet does not fit the curve of the body. I will have to tension the diagonals and then brace it to keep the new curve. I will post a pic but bucket took 3 hrs for one upload which is this, my first "power bulge" as the front carb (SU hs2) on the mk2 manifold was bumping the bonnet.

Also the whole body seems sloping to the passenger side, so I'll probably just shim it.
Old 14th May 2016, 09:10

Testing Instagram
=https://instagram.com/p/BFYWTubBxQJ/[/img]

Last edited by 1iTim; 14th May 2016 at 09:20..
Old 14th May 2016, 10:12

My bonnet didn't fit either , I think the route Davecymru took with his was to cut some of the internal structure away to allow it to curve more and then re-glassed it . Mine came without the internal structure and was quite thin in its layup , so I was able to curve it relatively easily and create my own bracing .

I think the early offerings without the inner structure fitted very well , but something happened when Mike started to offer them double skinned and the shape changed slightly in the process ...
Old 14th May 2016, 11:32

I'm guessing my body is an early one as it was a bit dodgy and with cracked gel coat. Single skin bonet too, so thanks for that I will make some cuts in the side lip area and bend it and brace it. I did not know this unit I cut the engine shrouds and tried it on properly.

Deep breaths and power tools!!

Tim
Old 14th May 2016, 11:58

I don't think yours was an early one Tim ..I think you just got a bonnet without the bracing .If you had an early one the bonnet would have fitted.

As it happens no bracing is possibly to your advantage now !

are your doors in two seperate bits or have they been bonded together ? I prefer the two skins to be left seperate and you can hang and latch the inner skin easier and get it doing what it needs to do and then line up the outer skin easier too...mine came bonded together which makes things a little harder to line up ..
Old 14th May 2016, 12:26

are your doors in two seperate bits or have they been bonded together ? .[/QUOTE]

My doors are one peice each, hollow with a gap I may brace and foam fill, or leave with pockets.

Tim
Old 14th May 2016, 14:49

I'd keep them as pockets ...it will mean you can get to hinge and latch fixings easily and if you glue a bit of vinyl in there or similar , actually quite handy to put a few things , phone , sunglasses etc. as there isn't much in the way of storage on these beasts ...
Old 16th May 2016, 10:38

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Wow, a few days of "Interesting" updates missed!

But sticking on the build...

It's odd to hear about the issues you've been having with the frame and radiator as that is one part of the build that i was genuinely surprised at as i had bought a new Vitesse radiator and i was really chuffed to be able to leave it unmolested.

I can't imagine your frame and shell are 'that' much different to mine? So it might be worth having a dig through some of my old pics 'just in case'? I found these 2 that show how my frame ended up with all of my additional mods applied and when all in place and radiator at std location:

As far as the bonnet is concerned, i found that the shape was largely ok, but it was the bracing that fouled fitting it. here is how mine was delivered along with a small mod i made in order to try and get it to fit initially:

But i ended up grinding all of that bracing off in the end, fitting it, and then adding strengthening around the front end in order to keep the shape. In case it's of use/interest, this pic shows how much clearance i ended up with under there.

The doors... Mine came with the 2 halves bonded together and when the shell was all dry-fitted on the drive it all looked good, but from my experience the main tub jiggles slightly (technical term!) during fitting and that contributes to both the bonnet fitting issues and it also threw my doors out.

I did a lot of rework on the doors and they are on and functional, but i will revisit them at some point in the future as they're still not 100%

BTW I'd suggest leaving them hollow, as in addition to the ease of access to fittings they are also the perfect size to transport beer/cider!

Keep the pics coming matey and i can always share my experiences, even if you do end up going in a completely different direction to me. That's all part of the fun

Last edited by davecymru; 16th May 2016 at 10:40..
Old 16th May 2016, 12:12

Dave thanks heaps for that. My radiator is much wider, about 20". It is on with side bits "sealing" the sides of the radiator. My body may be sitting lower than yours, it rests on the side of engine rails where I see you've got extra inch square tube as mountings.
I'm leaning towards moving the pedal plate two inches forward. I will still need to adjust the access.
G'night
Old 16th May 2016, 18:27

Just a thought ...might Aussie Heralds have bigger radiators ? certainly gets hotter over there !

If your body is sitting lower thats going to throw lots of things out ...I left little scars on the rear of the Sammio indicating the section that needed cutting out and with the little shelves on my bulkhead sat flat on the stock bulkhead , the cills should just about wrap around the outrigger siderails ....it made it tricky to get it wrong ...but I don't know how Mike did his to aid getting it right ? I would guess that the cill location would be about the same ..

I googled some images and found this one showing a Miglia on a build blog that has had the body fitted and it shows quite clearly the line of the boot outrigger and distance between the top of tyre and wheelarch with a stock rim ...maybe you can get some clues from that ?

Last edited by lancelot link; 16th May 2016 at 18:37..
Old 16th May 2016, 18:40

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

It sounds like it could be running a full width Spitfire radiator -

That's a fancy twin row alloy one but you get the idea.
Old 17th May 2016, 22:50

swifty is on a distinguished road

Nice work 1 iTim, just read through your thread and see there's been a bit of activity recently which is good to see as the tumble weed was rolling on down the track. lol

Keep posting and adding photos as it's what we like to see on here.
Old 21st May 2016, 06:25

Radiator position good now, mostly. You'll see the shrouds the rad bolts to here too

This remains to be addressed, I need to get a 90 elbow on there.

Old 12th September 2016, 09:25

I have been separated from my car for several months now due to moving cities! I'm going to get it ready to roll onto a truck this weekend then it's into a driveway in Brisbane to be finished. I don't know how the change of state jurisdiction will affect the rego.!

Pics to follow when floor, seat, steering brakes and handbrake are in and body on. I have 2.5 days to do that...
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:35

Lloyd and I got all those things done allowing a successful roll onto the truck.

Ok the car is on its way to Brisbane, storage, then delivery to my new driveway.

Doesn't it look small!!

Last edited by 1iTim; 22nd September 2016 at 12:01..
Old 25th September 2016, 09:50

http://youtu.be/BVVqz8ajMK4