Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 17th May 2011, 14:38
Enthusiast

MadDogMoggy is on a distinguished road
Default Type R Engine Bracket Help

Is there a builder out there fitting a Type R engine who is yet to put the engine in the car?

The stabilising mount (chassis bottom rail behind passenger to engine/gearbox) in my car is the old 'floppy' version which has since been updated with a new one that bolts directly to then engine instead of the Honda bush.

I need to replace this with the new verson, but Marlin can't make me one as they no longer have the jig or a Type R engine.

A sketch with some dimensions would be a help, a loan would be ideal. Otherwise I'm going to have to strip all the pipes out to fabricate one in situ!

A long shot I know, but thought I'd ask

Tim
Available from eBay
Old 17th May 2011, 22:17

JONORacing is on a distinguished road

Hi Tim,

I have the K20A2 fitted in a race chassis (solid rear cross) which I believe is the same on all new chassis. I did a custom fitment on my engine, tilting etc, but if it is the same mount as mine then you are more than welcome to borrow it as the car is currently sat in the garage. Might be able to make the same just a little shorter.

http://www.jonoracing.co.uk/?page_id=188

The last picture in the album shows the bar I believe you are talking about.

Cheers Jono
Old 17th May 2011, 23:06
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Try contacting this guy, and see if he has his old one:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2757093.htm

For what it's worth, I still think it's a bad idea to use just the front mount - engine / box isn't designed to take all the torque load there, and the lower chassis box section is quite long in that area and will flex / maybe permanently distort if it takes all the torque loading @ mid-span. Before I installed my current rear CDS tube, I had a seamed 3mm wall steel tube (grade unknown) to support my rear engine mount. It ended up shaped like a banana.
Old 18th May 2011, 08:35
Enthusiast

MadDogMoggy is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Jono, but its the mount the otherside, ie between the rear bulkhead and engine not the rear chassis tubes and engine.

John, I agree, the new mount isn't an ideal solution, but for the minute I need to get the car finished and through IVA. Once that's done I'll start tinkering. Your setup was very impressive and eventually I'd like to get y engine (and probably ehaust too) set up in a similar fashion to yours.

I'll give the guy at piston heads and email.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Tim