Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 24th January 2017, 05:25

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchpee View Post
I started a closed Facebook group for my build project (originally planned to be a Miglia but looking more like a Formosa now!). If anyone wants to join, friend me on Facebook (Hugo Pickering) and ask.
Hi Hugo,

Thanks for the invite, but unfortunately I'm not on Facebook.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 24th January 2017, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
I'm trying to price it as fairly as I can avoiding the pitfalls of compromising quality or selling too cheap to support the venture ...
Gary - I think this is the right approach to be taking, pay more for a better kit.

A bit like the Herald donor above, buying a better car to begin should save you building time.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 24th January 2017, 09:17

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I don't mean to be rude about the MEV 'Aston' offering, but its styling just doesn't work for me.

I think your finished car is going to look much better Gary, and is certainly competitively priced for what you're offering. As you know, I'm a big fan of the 356 Speedster and just the bodyshell from the available suppliers comes in at around £5k +VAT.

Keep up the good work!
Old 24th January 2017, 14:47

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU CHAPS ...
I know what you mean about the MEV offering Towed ...there's something lacking for me too ...I dont think the tiny wheels and arches help ..but as a comparible ..I don't have much to compare against with this amount of fibreglass and extensive framework ....The MEV quality cant be questioned ..
Old 24th January 2017, 14:56

molleur is on a distinguished road

I had contemplated purchasing an MEV Aston kit over here (USA), but it just didn't do it for me either.
Old 24th January 2017, 18:22

Jeff H is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi Hugo,

Thanks for the invite, but unfortunately I'm not on Facebook.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers, Paul.

Not on facebook ?

But Paul think of all those pictures of the sky over Wembley you could share LOL
Old 25th January 2017, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
I had contemplated purchasing an MEV Aston kit over here (USA), but it just didn't do it for me either.
WELL YOU HAVE ANOTHER OPTION NOW , MOLLEUR !!

Joking aside , I have an obvious interest in getting things moving with this venture , need to get a few examples out there , nothing like customer builds to promote a kit and some much needed return on my investment ( I am genuinely too frightened to add it all up ...) ...so the first few units out the door could be slightly discounted ......strictly a limited situation though as I won't fall into the trap of underselling again ...
Old 25th January 2017, 08:30

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I hadn't thought of comparing it to the Mev but the one point I thought it could do with was a larger feature at the back of the bonnet/wing, similar to the early Corvette, or a similar feature to the MEC/Aston. I think it would take away from it being a little slab sided but it would help in the final finishing/painting. A long flat side will always be a bit of a challenge to get perfect, a few curves take your eyer away from it. I would imaging it will help when the door lines are showing. Please don't take this as criticism, just a second set of eyes. The build is coming on very nicely with a lot of attention to detail which is great. Good luck with it, you certainly deserve it with all the hard work. Getting a "live" build thread should certainly help with sales.
Old 25th January 2017, 19:28

J-TVR ...Thank you for your input , I am happy to listen to all opinion , positive or negative ...

The photo's do tend to make the body a lot less curved than it is ..the flat , non reflective filler and foam doesnt give suggestion of curves . It also looks deeper than its cousins in the body , but other than the slight lip around the cockpit , it isn't really .... The body has a gentle curve top to bottom and when the body (not the plug ) is available to view , it will be more apparent ...I'm hoping that a car builder's prep for paint will be minimal . The finished plug is getting 6 coats of Durabuild primer , a filler primer designed for pattern making , this is being flattened down as per a standard paint job ..then the car is getting several coats of BLACK Durabuild which will be polished to a shiny finish to highlight any issues and hopefully give us a high level of gloss gel finish on the bodies .....

The vent on the side is getting the edges radiused slightly before moulding to reduce the sharpness of the feature and soften the edges , more like an aluminium body would be and blend better with the cars curves ....its easier to mould and produce as well .
Old 26th January 2017, 09:54

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a lot of hard work.
I know my door skins on the 250swb are going to take quite a bit of work to get flat, not looking forward to it, but so far all the curved sections seem to be quite easy, I think the curves hide quite a bit.

Still think you are onto a winner, this sort of style is always transformed when the plexiglass windscreen is fitted.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:20

Gary, I hope you've got the funds to get a demonstrator round the shows this spring as that's what'll start selling the kits. If you remember, it was old '66 that sold me on the concept and I'd say that it generated an awful lot of the sales you got (although the price helped too as the spyder 'kit' was an absolute bargain).

You're absolutely right that a few customer builds would stimulate interest, but possibly only among those who are already sold on the Sammio, Miglia or Tribute ranges.

A decent demonstrator would bring the car to a broader audience, like those who've always wanted a Seven, by blowing their minds when they see what else (quite a bit less of) their money could buy them.

I might even be persuaded to build one myself, once I've seen the demonstrator of course...
Old 26th January 2017, 18:26

Towdie , You are right in many ways ....the guy pictured above bought one !! I think that was the show in Kent ... I am at the very least hoping to get a rolling chassis with engine and gearbox and the body and frame fitted with doors hung , lights fitted etc. to Stoneleigh .
Essentially , something that looks roadworthy but not on the road ..

First body out will be used to further develop the kit , framework etc. and will get damaged , so I will throw something together for myself with that one ...second one out is being partially fitted and built on the Vitesse outside the workshop ...so this may become the show car ..

Funds are very stretched at the moment , but Im in too deep to take my foot off the pedal ..Stoneleigh will soon come around , hoping to do Beaulieu Autojumble with it's large International attendence and also something in some form or another to put in the Goodwood Classic car car park at the Revival ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 26th January 2017 at 18:34..
Old 26th January 2017, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Towdie , You are right in many ways ....the guy pictured above bought one !!
That's interesting, and I know for a fact that the guy who took the picture also bought one.

Get a well finished example to the revival in the classic sales car park listed as 'open to offers' and you might just get a very pleasant surprise.

Watching with interest.
Old 27th January 2017, 17:29

swifty is on a distinguished road

The price you are charging sounds about right Gary, the package will be an excellent purchase for the prospective buyer, really not leaving to much to do compared to past builds on the sammio/navigator.

Watching with interest for a painted car and may be a video or two and good luck with this one.
Old 29th January 2017, 13:37

Jeff H is on a distinguished road

I popped in to see this today,

Met Glan who is still very passionate about what he does and is loving doing this project with Gary.

The car is going to look great when done, I can honestly say their was not one part of it that I didn't like.

One of these may well be on the list in the future, I do have a couple of projects on the go at the moment to finish 1st.

Jeff.
Old 31st January 2017, 18:50

Some progress made this week ...Glan has about a day left on the front drivers wing and another day shaping up and straightening the grille ..so hopefully by the weekend we will be looking at the body being ready to be prepped for the Durabuild ...

Because the front is so close , and I had the chance to take a high level picture ..I thought I would post this ....

I wish I could get far enough back to get a decent shot of the rear ...its got a great rear end !!

This one , with the drivers wing nearly finished , helps show the superb curvaceous rise the front has ...

Old 31st January 2017, 20:52

molleur is on a distinguished road

Really first class work there!
Old 1st February 2017, 07:36

phil9 is on a distinguished road
Smile

yes this is looking very good.... i a wait more mite ...like to build one...
Old 1st February 2017, 10:37

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil9 View Post
yes this is looking very good.... i a wait more mite ...like to build one...
Discount offered for previous Customers mate ......... :-)

I'd love to see you guys up there put one together ...I know you'd do a first rate job ....

Last edited by lancelot link; 1st February 2017 at 10:39..
Old 4th February 2017, 09:29

Gary - I'm looking forward to the day when this is all one colour and you can wheel it outside for some decent photos.

Good luck, Paul.