Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 1st April 2013, 09:31

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road
Question Steering Wheel horn push

I am looking for a bit of help please regarding getting the horn to work from the horn push in the centre of my Sparco steering wheel.

The car has the original BMW horns fitted, but the guy fitted cow horns as well operated by a lever on the transmission tunnel. It sounded hideous.

As I have just re carpeted it I got rid of the cow horn and wanted to reconnect the original horn. Simple you would think.

I re routed the live wire to the base of the steering wheel boss and stumbled across my problem. The boss ( sparco ) has the bmw slip ring attached to its base which provides the earth for the horn push via a spade connector. I put connectors on both ends of a small piece of wire to connect to the slip ring and to one of the spade connectors on the horn push.
Incidently the boss has one small hole which goes through it so that my wire will connect to the spade connector of the slip ring.

With me so far ?

When I trial fit the live wire to the other spade connector on the horn push and switch the ignition on, low and behold.......it works.

Problem is though how do I get the live wire through the boss to the horn push to connect it up. The boss only has one small hole for the slip ring connector.

I suppose I could drill the boss and thread the wire through the new hole but as you turn the wheel it will wrap itself around the steering column as it turns. Don,t really like that idea

Could do with a double slip ring.

How have others achieved the answer please ?

PROBLEM NOW SOLVED

Last edited by denniswpearce; 3rd April 2013 at 16:58.. Reason: Updated
Available from eBay