Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 5th July 2018, 21:29

MikeD is on a distinguished road
Default Mike's Sammio Spyder - Year 8

Yes year 8 - seems impossible that I have had the car 8 years since Gary removed my yellow Herald body and bonded on the Sammio, anyway My Dear Wife's Stag is now finished - it had to take 1st place..... I have retired from proper work and moved house, so now it's time to finish the Sammio. I will find out how to post pictures, I know you all love pictures.
My start point now is a driving car, so it's the interior, dashboard, wiring etc then paint.. can't wait!

Some questions for you guys please -

My car is correctly registered as a Sammio Spyder ( thanks to Gary all those years ago ) but is it MOT exempt being a 1968 car? I have read a lot of confusing stuff and would like an answer from the Forum.

Second question can I paint in cellulose any more?? I have used it in the past but now it seems outlawed?? except for farm machinery

Any info. would be appreciated

thanks
Available from eBay
Old 5th July 2018, 21:47

Yorkshireman is on a distinguished road

Hello Mike D. My 1971 Spitfire was tax exempt and MOT exempt at the local post office this time when I filled in the V112. All the info is on the government website under may 2018 changes. Not all the post office workers are up to date on this so you might have to tell them what you are applying for. On the guide lines it mentions modified cars kit cars and rebodies.

For whats its worth though the mot on a sammio should be quite simple and gives peace of mind that somebody independent has given the once over the car. Eg brakes and components corrosion, fuel tanks,lines and tires, the items we can miss where as knocks and blown bulbs are easy for us to spot. I personally think its £50 and 1 hour out of my time that is well spent once a year.

Good luck with the build.

Last edited by Yorkshireman; 5th July 2018 at 21:49.. Reason: missed ending
Old 5th July 2018, 22:47

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Guy at work just had his classic mot’d it failed and as logged on the system unroadworthy so had to leave it there to be fixed as he wouldn’t have been insured driving a known iffy car where as if it was checked (say a pre-mot )and told it needed some items it could have been driven home and self fixed
Old 5th July 2018, 23:41

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
Guy at work just had his classic mot’d it failed and as logged on the system unroadworthy so had to leave it there to be fixed as he wouldn’t have been insured driving a known iffy car where as if it was checked (say a pre-mot )and told it needed some items it could have been driven home and self fixed
Yup, my local garage also warned me of this as well.
Old 6th July 2018, 07:58

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I think it still needs an MOT due to modifications ...good luck with the build re-start and don't forget we all like pictures !!
Old 6th July 2018, 08:26

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'm with Yorkshireman and Lancelot on this one - the mot exemption applies to original classics, not to anything that's been substantially modified. An annual mot might be a bit of a worry, but it does provide independent reassurance that your home-built special is safe to drive.

As for the concern that you can't drive it if it fails as your insurance would be invalid, the law says that your car has to be roadworthy if it's being driven on the road, valid mot in place or not.

If your car is declared unsafe by a police collision investigator following a serious crash you'll definitely find yourself being prosecuted and your insurance may well not pay out either.

Cellulose paint is still legal for amateur use and is really easy and (relatively) safe for the home builder to use. It also gives a more authentic period finish than modern two-pack paint systems that look too plasticky on a classic imho.

If you want your car sprayed professionally then speak to a few commercial sprayers to see if any of them can legitimately use cellulose, or try classic restoration workshops.

Anyway, welcome back and it'll be nice to see another Spyder being completed.
Old 6th July 2018, 08:58

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default So where do I stand?

My Daytona is 1976 and registered as an RS Daytona Spyder. One of the reasons for me buying it was the fact that it would now be MOT free, once I get a current MOT on it (just waiting for a new brake servo).
I have magazine articles on the car showing the registration number from the late 90's but have no idea when the car was modified. Robin Hood started making the Daytona in the early 80's.
Do the DVLA keep a record of when the V5 would have been changed or would it be too early? Don't want to ask them as then it can get tricky and there is no going back.
Old 6th July 2018, 14:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
… My car is correctly registered as a Sammio Spyder ( thanks to Gary all those years ago ) but is it MOT exempt being a 1968 car? I have read a lot of confusing stuff and would like an answer from the Forum…
MikeD – Welcome back.

I also echo Mr T’s point about it would be good to see another Spyder finished.

The details of the VHI modification rules are here:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...e-guidance.pdf

But it would also appear that I have a different view about the VHI rules to others on here.
( No offense intended, as I know there is more than one way to see things. )

Personally, I see my Swordfish as a straight forward re-body that is suitable for VHI.

As I didn’t substantially change any of the main Spitfire/VHI components.
(Listed as chassis, axles, running gear and engine.)

So I will be claiming VHI status when my 1980 donor become eligible in 2021.

I previously laid out my logic in this thread:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...tion#post90845

Note:
There was one key chassis difference between the Sammio Spyder and the Sammio Cordite…

The Herald had rear outriggers and the Spitfire did not, but it was essentially the same chassis design.

So if you read one of the ACE examples (which was confirmed in writing by the DVLA) you have this.

Q) Is it acceptable to remove bodymounts, which contribute no strength to the chassis when changing a body to a different style /make?

A) Yes, providing they are additional to and are not an integral part of the chassis structure.

Again, this is just my personal interpretation, but I’d argue the outriggers are NOT an integral part of the chassis structure.

Therefore the outriggers are effectively bodymounts that can be removed when changing the body to a different style /make (which the Spyder bodyshell definitely is).

Hope that helps.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 7th July 2018, 21:06
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

I would recommend a MOT after a build as it helps with the DVLA V5 document changes.
The DVLA look up-on a MOT as an independent inspection confirming the car exists, it's in road worthy condition, it's the correct colour, and if the MOT tester does his job properly he should also change the VOSA details on record to read body type "sports", thus also confirming the body change.

It also confirms that you have built your car to a road worthy standard.

I recently MOTed a newly built car only to be told by the MOT tester that one of the wheel spinners was lose!!! And I'd been around the Industrial estate a few times before hand.

All that said a customer has just (last month) re-registered a SAMMIO SPYDER under the new TAX and MOT exempt rules!!
He just sent photos, body receipts, V627/1 and a V112.
The car is now registered as a Triumph Spyder .

Note- - IMHO, I also think keeping the car's original make helps please the DVLA, it might help with insurance and might also help registering it aboard, so I recommended doing so.

Paul L I also agree with you on this issue.

jaguartvr A good HPi check might give you some information on the modifications dates.