Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 16th April 2015, 09:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Sorry I've been trying to resist posting this, but I just can't.

With full credit to Father Ted...

Scottie, this car is small.

And this car is far away.

Old 16th April 2015, 10:22

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Nice one Paul!

In answer to your question yesterday, I was busy painting and got to the point when I would have to go out and buy etch primer at about four times the cost that I get it online, when the courier arrived with the stuff I'd ordered! And that was how I was able to do so much.

Seeing as the paint created so much interest, I have been doing a bit of digging, and it seems that the company that makes the paint, created it especially for people like us that prefer cellulose.
This is a modern equivalent, and they sure have hit the button there, I would never go back to celly now.
Old 16th April 2015, 12:27

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Can you post up some pictures of your spraying equipment and set up please. That is not too shoddy and I am getting more tempted to get mine resprayed.
Old 16th April 2015, 13:23

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Just WOW! That looks fantastic.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:03

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
Nice one Paul!

In answer to your question yesterday, I was busy painting and got to the point when I would have to go out and buy etch primer at about four times the cost that I get it online, when the courier arrived with the stuff I'd ordered! And that was how I was able to do so much.

Seeing as the paint created so much interest, I have been doing a bit of digging, and it seems that the company that makes the paint, created it especially for people like us that prefer cellulose.
This is a modern equivalent, and they sure have hit the button there, I would never go back to celly now.
I struggled a bit with their website Scottie, do they have a colour availability chart? It seemed to me that you had to know what the colour you wanted was called before you could enquire if they have it. Or it could just be me being a tech duffer. Well, my daily driver is insured with SAGA...

Oh, and on that subject for those of us who might not quite be over the hill but could certainly see the brow if only we could remember to put our reading glasses on, I got a quote for a 2.8 Z3 from said SAGA, 6,000 miles per year, comprehensive with a £200 excess for...

£113! That's only £20 more than my Micra.

BTW Paul, I loved the small/far Father Ted reference, it made me chuckle.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:04

Scottie - There is a new series of "Cars That Rock" starting tonight at 9pm on Quest.

The first episode is on Jaguar and I think it features a brief look at the XKSS.

It does include the Jaguar Project 7, which inspired me to cut my boot lid through the aero humps.

Anyway, I'm going to record it & I think it is repeated on another day.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 16th April 2015, 20:08

Default Thursday

Thanks for that Paul, I'll have a peek.

WCA, I have posted a couple of pics of my compressor and spray gun for you to see.
I have worked a bit on my headlight bowls, but don't really think the extra work is justified. How come your bowls upset you so much?

Mr Towed, that website is not my local supplier, it was just one that I found that sold the paint online.

Yes I think you do need to know what colour you want, I went to this local chap and looked at colour swatches, chose Connaught green, and he mixed it up for me in that acrylic stuff. As far as I know they can do any colour.

The name of my supplier is Border Automotive, and they are on 01432 265305. The guy's name is Phil, and he is very helpful, give him a call.

Today I rubbed down the one run I had on the bonnet, and also some more bonnet patches, but mainly I worked on the back half of the car.

I rubbed it down with G3, then T cut, as there were a few slight orange peely bits. It now does not have that "just painted" look, and almost looks like it could be the original 1950's paint. I have not polished it yet, that will come later.

The back half of the car is now finished, it is not perfect and there are a few small marks, and insect imprints etc. But you'd have to look hard to see them, and I can live with that. The overall impression is okay.

So I put all the lights and bumpers back on, and was pleased with the result.

The main difference between my car's rear and a real one, is around three million quid...........

So its just the front half now........

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 16th April 2015, 20:49

garyh is on a distinguished road

Well, it looks real!
Old 16th April 2015, 21:09

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

I like it A LOT! not a bad belated birthday present, although I'm going to miss your build thread. Ed.
Old 16th April 2015, 21:53

I expect the thread will continue Ed, I've got to make a roof yet and all sorts of little tweaks and mods still to do.
I've only been here for 18 months, it'll go on a bit longer I'm sure!
Old 16th April 2015, 22:19

Mistrale is on a distinguished road

I have been transfixed by this build for months and your determination has been an inspiration for me to get on with my Looooooong lasting project! Can't wait to see it at stoneleigh!

It looks fantastic!!!!
Old 16th April 2015, 22:24

Thanks for the support Mistrale!

Well it will look better when all the trim is in and its up and running with the right wheels etc, watch this space.........
Old 17th April 2015, 07:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

That does look very special Scottie. I've had my doubts occasionally as to whether you'd ever finish or run out of enthusiasm and abandon the project, but you've really pulled the rabbit out of the hat now.

Keep up the good work on the bits 'n' bobs you've got to finish, but get it down the MOT station asap and start enjoying the spring weather.
Old 17th April 2015, 07:29

Scottie - And I thought seeing it in primer was a big step forward.

You attention to detail is the stuff of legend and that is why your car is going to look so good.

Well done, Paul.
Old 17th April 2015, 08:43

Thanks for the comments Paul!

And Mr Towed! Well, shame on you for having such awful thoughts!
I never doubted myself for one second. :-)
Old 17th April 2015, 17:59

Default Friday

Today was another prep day, working on the front half of the car which was not up to standard. It is now, and its painted, so are the doors and bonnet with yet another coat.

It could not have been a fluke the first time round, as its come out even better this time, it must be the paint!

I will always use this stuff for everything in the future.

One thing I have learnt over the last few days, is that it is fairly straight forward and simple to spray paint, but incredibly difficult to get a smooth even surface on a panel to receive that paint.

Pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG

[IMG][/IMG

]
Old 17th April 2015, 18:36

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Last Night's Telly

Scottie, here it is

http://www.questtv.co.uk/video/cars-...nson-2-jaguar/

Regards, Mick
Old 17th April 2015, 20:35

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

Cool!!
Old 18th April 2015, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
...One thing I have learnt over the last few days, is that it is fairly straight forward and simple to spray paint, but incredibly difficult to get a smooth even surface on a panel to receive that paint...
It certainly looks like you have created a smooth surface.

So I will try hard to follow your lead when I finally get to that stage.

This might sound like a daft question, but have you "just" got the panels smooth, or have you also "straightened" out the panels too?

As I think I may end up a smooth, but undulating, surface in some areas.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 18th April 2015, 09:45

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Paul, you can tell by looking at the reflections. To me the reflections of the surroundings and particularly the houses and the back end with the luggage rack of Scotties car are clean and straight. If the surface was undulating the reflections would show up as wobbly lines, they don't. I will be interested to see the paint in 6 months time, once it has cured completely and shrunk to its final film thickness. It MAY lose a little of it's initial natural gloss then. According to the blurb from the manufacturers it should respond well to polishing...

My worry with GRP is shrinkage, I think that is responsible for a lot of the uneven surfaces which often show up on some kit car bodies. To that end a slow build such as yours allows time for the body to stabilise and do all the shrinking it is going to. Some of the panels I have seen are variable in thickness to say the least. This is one of the reasons I have chosen to replace GRP with aluminium apart from weight is to get away from the issues surrounding GRP, they are over 30 years old and have had a rough time. That said my aluminium panels aren't perfect by any means but they are what I have made them, I will have to do some skim filling if a want a decent paint finish.

One good test of the surface apart from running you hand over it with outstretched fingers, is to use a steel rule or similar, (not clear plastic) with the light behind the rule, bend the rule as edgeways as possible to the panel curve and see how much light can be seen between the body and the rule. You should get a good idea of the shape that way. For more extreme curves you need to find something flexible and springy instead of a rule. The flatter panels are more of a concern because they provide the tell tale reflections.

I think Scotties car is a credit to him, I am hugely impressed with the quality of the bodywork quite apart from the rest of the detail items which are also stunning. It's such a shame the lump from the Mk. 2 couldn't have found it's way under the bonnet but I completely understand why. Better to do what you can, rather than attempt the impossible.