Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 28th January 2008, 17:05
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road
Default SVA passed... now DVLA fun and games

Hi all,

SVA passed - woohooo.... and the car was fault less for the 140 mile round trip.

A few snapshot comments from the day:

- a 997 Carrera 2, is slower than a 5EXI-R to 70. Yes he was giving it some, cos some impressive splurges of unburnt fuel came out the back, as I was drawing him in.
- adding a hint more rear toe has made the car less sketchy at speed, but it still feels a bit "special", and boy do I hope Marlin get my new sus' component made soon.
- brakes are pretty lame at the moment, and there's an annoying l/r bias issue on the front.
- cold mornings, and the associated slimey roads, make for some entertaining corner exits - gotta watch the throttle in 2nd (and 3rd.... and 4th!!!).
- 2nd gear launchs are the way forward, and 1st is only worth bothering with to save the clutch.
- the current springs are toooooo soft.

DVLA jazz:

I've had some fun and games today, trying to submit my licence application - despite the DVLA finding my donor's vin and engine on their database, me showing them the VIN plate for the donor , pictures, and receipts, they were somewhat awkward about an age related plate, and said "it had to be referred to Swansea, where the policy manager would make a decision".

In a word, what a crock!

To those people who have registered their car as age-related, without a donor's V5, what did you submit?

DVLA annoyance aside, a good day (made all the better by not being at work of course!).
Available from eBay
Old 28th January 2008, 19:17
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

Congratulations John

You must be really pleased, it looked stunning on the video you posted.

Is that the first homebuild 5exi-R on the road ?

David.
Old 28th January 2008, 19:55
Enthusiast

Cheers.

It's the 2nd (known of on this forum anyhow). Ric H holds the title of first homebuilt Type-R [and the most impressively short SVA -> registration -> track day timescale!]
Old 28th January 2008, 20:22
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed View Post
Hi all,

SVA passed - woohooo.... and the car was fault less for the 140 mile round trip.

Congratulations and well done!
Old 28th January 2008, 21:34
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Brilliant, great stuff John. That extra toe-in makes quite a difference doesn't it?

Can't help with the registration I'm afraid. I had a colour photcopy of the V5 and the original new-keeper's supplement - though it wasn't in my name. Seemed to satisfy the DVLA man, - he was generally a pretty friendly guy (I got lucky at SVA and registration in that respect I think).

Richard
Old 28th January 2008, 22:08
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Well done John.

I took my forms and bits and bobs to the local regestration centre. Where I fill out there and then. I had forgoten something (can't remeber what now) so made the trip worth while. While there, I booked the car in to be inspected. They said it was ok for me to drive it there. Which I did.

I'll try the extra toe in and see how she performs.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:19
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Well done
Old 28th January 2008, 22:21
Enthusiast

John - I don't think you'll need the extra toe-in, as the main reason Rich and I added some, is because of the flex of the earlier rear suspension design. The more substantial construction of the later design should mean you can run a more optimal static setting without as much of a worry the geometry changes under load (be it accelerating or braking).

The toe certainly helps, though I added only the smallest amount possible - 1/2 a turn on each rear toe link.

Rich, I dunno know what you think, but I reckon the car needs more power (or a hefty diet!) - it just plain isn't fast enough in my view. Yes it's quick, but it doesn't have enough thrust to justify all the time and effort to get to this stage.

John - I'm surprised you were told it was okay to drive the car to the inspection, as that I'm told is illegal! Yes it's nonsense given you could drive a seriously dangerous car to an SVA test, but that is how it is, according to a few official soruces, and it matches with what I've read. How bizzare.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:29
Enthusiast

The local DVLA office just gave me an appointment sheet and a not in case I got pulled over by the police.

The inspection was a pain. The inspector insisted on seeing the engine number with his own eyes. On the T series, this is right at the bottom of the block ehind the turbo by the rear bulkhead. Burn't all my arm easing the collant pipes away while he stuck his head down with a torch. Burn't all my arm off the exhaust. Should not have been using a heavy right foot on the way there!

You say it's not quick. Is it that it's smooth but quick? Mine, pins you right back once boost cuts in (from 2.5k revs.)
Old 28th January 2008, 22:46
Enthusiast

John, I can only conclude each DVLA office makes up its own rules to an extent. Anyhow, the more contact one has with VOSA / DVLA, the more screwed up one realises the daft and backwards processes are.

As for the pace, yes it's quick, and yes it does thrust you back in the seat, just not with the vigour I'd hoped for. The torque curve on the Type-R is quite flat (the v-tec blip isn't too severe on the i-vtec), so yes it is a smooth power delivery which undoubtedly gives less of a sensation of speed than the average turbo engined car.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:52
Enthusiast

Funny thing about the DVLA inspection. Phones Swansea. They said I need a valid MOT after the SVA test to get registered. Local registration office did not mention I needed one. So did not mention it.

I would prefer the Type R progressive sensation to be honest. As the slap round the face approach is quite a fright as I found out at a cost.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:58
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Well done mate! wish I lived closer for a ride!

What you got v-tec set at??

Craig
Old 28th January 2008, 23:12
Enthusiast

Running "factory tuned" map. I think it kicks in at 5200 with a boot full, or 5800 if being a p****y.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:28
Enthusiast

EXI Turbo is on a distinguished road

Congratulations,

I picked mine up from Marlin at the weekend after having the bodywork fitted and the engine moved back a few inches. So hopefully not too far behind.

well done

Nick
Old 29th January 2008, 12:10
Enthusiast

How does the factory look??
Old 29th January 2008, 14:15
Enthusiast

EXI Turbo is on a distinguished road

They were using what is left of the old factory. I have note seen the new factory/building site.
Old 29th January 2008, 14:35
Enthusiast

5EXi girl is on a distinguished road

Well done from us both. If you have not managed to sort out all the forms with DVLA yet do please let me know and I will be happy to give you some guidance and advice.

ATB
Terry
Old 29th January 2008, 18:49
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed View Post
Rich, I dunno know what you think, but I reckon the car needs more power (or a hefty diet!) - it just plain isn't fast enough in my view. Yes it's quick, but it doesn't have enough thrust to justify all the time and effort to get to this stage.
Heh heh. It depends on your frame of reference I suppose - it is by far the quickest car I've driven so I'm recalibrating myself and have only covered 1500 miles so far. That said, I agree there's little doubt that it *could* be faster, without becoming unmanageable. Takes me back to my original thought (and I know I'm not alone) of possible adding a supercharger. It would certainly fit nicely in the engine bay. My reservations are ones of practicality (no, seriously!). The noise of the supercharger just behind your head would be, err, wearing to say the least. Plus supercharged K20s drink petrol like there's no tomorrow, and the tank isn't huge to start with.

So what's left. Nitrous? Cheapish, easy, KPro handles it for you Though of course this might happen http://www.5150rsx.com/images/blownk20a2jim.WMV
Or fit a really funky exhaust http://www.prototyperacing.com/dynok20b.htm
Or a K24 block with the K20 head?
Or a turbo?
Or remake the bodywork in carbon, throw out the heater, passenger seat and windscreen?

Depends how mental you want it to be I suppose
This thread took a comprehensive approach:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4854
480hp anyone?

Oh yeah, and DVLA offices - a law unto themselves!
Richard
Old 29th January 2008, 19:42
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

John

Well done, so nice to see another builder moving onto the next chapter.

Steve