Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Closed Thread

Old 18th August 2005, 23:50
Enthusiast

kitcarman is on a distinguished road

Hi John,
They loved its look, but had this to say concerning its engineering and driving :-
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Car
“At my height your head is sticking up above the screen, and, more disconcertingly, the rollover bar

“Despite the low rev fruitiness, higher up the rev range the Python’s song is blighted by resonance and the result is more soggy flatulence than hard-edged bark .”

“On lumpier routes the Python is less impressive. Bumps and ruts seem to over-extend or over-compress the suspension, sending a wince-inducing crash through the chassis. Not what you want …. And you don’t have to be going fast to bring out these flaws. Anything more than a leisurely lope is enough.
There’s a lack of immediacy in turn-in, too, that doesn’t suit the car’s sporting credentials… .. there’s just no bite.
The chassis feels like it needs a lot more fine tuning and development… …fixes are already being worked on… … They are planning to play with camber and toe-out at the front to sharpen up the turn-in too.”

“Peter is keen that we come back [I bet he is!!! - Den ] once RV’s engineer and head horncho, Vince Wright , has applied some alterations…..”

“He [Peter ] reckons that the Python is an eminently useable everyday car. I can’t agree… .. the constant niggles and compromises would drive you mad”
Exactly what Stent found except they’ve put what they found rather more factually.

I’d rather not add ‘I told you so’ – but in all honesty I reckon I’m due an apology from some and a big thank you from others. I’ll not hold my breath though.

Den.
Old 26th August 2005, 22:04

Purple Ak is on a distinguished road

You OK Den? You look a tad Blue
Old 26th August 2005, 22:23
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Ak
Never been better !
I'm astonished at the lack of comment on BMW Car's comments though! After all - there were cries for an independent test - weren't there ? They really don’t come any more independent than that.
I probably shouldn't have said "I told you so" . I’ll never learn.

Den .
Old 27th August 2005, 11:51
Enthusiast

Ferg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcarman
I'm astonished at the lack of comment on BMW Car's comments though!
I don't think there's anything to say to be honest Den. We seem to have gone from selling a car that hasn't been built, to selling a car that needs 'alterations'........
Old 27th August 2005, 14:06
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Ditto Ferg.
Old 27th August 2005, 18:29
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Ak
Hi Chris, me ole mate…. I’m worried for you too!

Have you been holding your breath for extended periods, because it seems to me that you’re looking a bit…..

…. Purple!!!!!

Den
Old 29th August 2005, 18:08
Enthusiast

Hi Mark and Ferg,
You’re right, but even the latest anorexic Which Twit Car? has 6 advertisements for AhhhVD. Claims such as “advanced engineering”, “finely engineered”, “delightfully easy to drive”, “light, responsive, user-friendly” and “hugely strong” are still common currency. The clear impression given is of a well-sorted product from an established, reputable (even clever???) manufacturer.

As a result of such misleading claims; a number of people have purchased Pythons and are presumably continuing to do so - otherwise why are they continuing with the advertisements?

I’d like to know how these customers shall overcome the ‘bite-less’ steering and ‘wince-inducing crashes’ that are evident even at ‘leisurely-lope’ speeds? What about the guy who posted (on another forum) to the effect that he’d purchased his Python mainly because he was lofty? How’s he going to fit into his pride and joy?

Other concerns about the front suspension design; which are even more worrying if the suspension really does ‘bottom’, plus the commercial problems in Sri Lanka all add to the bad smell. I’ve no doubt that this product is rotten in that it’ll never be possible, in the light of what’s already known, to believe anything its manufacturer says about it.

I’ll therefore not be brushing this ‘episode’ under the carpet just yet. As I said in my magazine; a course of antibiotics needs to be taken to the very end. Behind the scenes murmurings indicate that the medicine is in fact working.

Den.
Old 1st September 2005, 16:33
Enthusiast

Den,
I have never wavered from my opinion that to advertise a car giving the impression that various facets of it's appeal have been proved by road-test, whilst at the time of printing those claims the car doesn't exist is unbelievable as well as unacceptable. However, I sometimes worry that people who haven't been aware from the outset and may be coming into the story since the car has actually existed may misunderstand your angle on this............
Old 2nd September 2005, 13:31
Enthusiast

Hi Ferg,
OK, I need your help (and/or that of every/anybody on this forum ).

I’ve been banging my head against this phantom Python, on and off, for 29 magazine editions. Ferg reckons I was right , initially, to point out that it was being advertised in terms that suggested that it was tried and tested at a time when it didn’t even exist.

It does now exist ; but still hasn’t been tried and tested (or more accurately, it has been tested and found to be ‘wanting’ and is in need of modification – admitted by the manufacturer ) yet it’s still being advertised in terms that very much suggest that it has no problems .

I think the present advertised claims are still grossly misleading .

Please tell me why I’m ill-advised in continuing to expose what I see as this sharp practice . That is, after all, what my readers are paying me to do – isn’t it?

I do try to provide enough information, each time I mention the ‘problem’, so as to avoid newbies (to the argument) getting confused: so as to avoid the trap that you’ve mentioned.

Den
Old 3rd September 2005, 20:12
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

How about doing an article in Kit Car explaining the real reason for all of the swipes at the Python, explaining that as well as misleading people in the advertising claims, when an independant test was carried out . . . .

You could then invite readers to write in with any questions that they don't feel you have covered. This gives you a follow up article 2 months later.

As long as you keep to the facts and nothing else, I think most people would like to know the whole story.

But remember, I don't think John will want it all on this forum.
Old 3rd September 2005, 20:57
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Biker
But remember, I don't think John will want it all on this forum.
Agreed; and thanks for the pointer with regard my approach.

I’m going to do just that .

By the way, I’ve blagged (how’s that supposed to be spelt ?) the BMW Car article for running in the next issue. It would fit well where you placed your dot dot dot dot. It might make the cover of the next Cobra magazine too! (you know how Cobra is derived).

The pics are great and actually the article does say good things as well as bad !

Den.
Old 5th September 2005, 17:36
Enthusiast

And just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse . They did….

I’ve been dealing through a middle-man, who’s been passing messages to and from Vince.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Middle-Man
Sorry, you may not get a response… for a while , Vince is in Hospital after an attempt was made on his life yesterday .
I think him a prat for all too many reasons, but I wouldn’t have wished that on him.

Den
Old 5th September 2005, 20:03
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcarman
I think him a prat for all too many reasons, but I wouldn’t have wished that on him.
Hear, hear.
Old 6th September 2005, 23:00
Enthusiast

It gets even worse!
Old 29th September 2005, 08:10
Enthusiast

kartman is on a distinguished road

Are you going to enlighten us then Den?
Old 29th September 2005, 10:46
Enthusiast

Hi Kartman,

The message I was passing to Vince was that we weren’t getting anywhere and that there was no point in continuing discussions unless there was a change in his attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Middle-Man
Sorry, you may not get a response… for a while , Vince is in Hospital after an attempt was made on his life yesterday .
In following e-mails I was given all the gory detail of how he was attacked by 4 ‘professionals’ with dogs - and the nature of his injuries (cracked skull , broken arm, ear ‘mashed’ with a lump of wood and dog bites from ‘attack dogs’).

It was put to me that I was partly responsible, in that I’d encouraged his Sri Lanlan adversery, and should therefore feel sorry for him and stop printing damaging reports about his crap products and his dodgy dealings with Filby . I was warned that the next attack might very well be fatal.

I have a contact in Sri Lanka who looked into the matter for me. Vince was found to be fit and well at his place of work.

What a way to attempt to gain endearment and sympathy ?

Den.
Old 5th October 2005, 12:42
Enthusiast

vojx is on a distinguished road

this thread . . . .
Old 12th October 2005, 18:19
Enthusiast

Hi Vojx,
I'm glad that you're finding this entertaining !

The BMW Car article is in the November issue , which shall be in the shops from Friday .

Den.
Old 13th October 2005, 18:23
Enthusiast

I look forward to reading a truly independent review.
Old 23rd October 2005, 11:48
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg
I look forward to reading a truly independent review.
Hmmmmmm......
Closed Thread