Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 11th May 2019, 07:40

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Thanks Jeff,

I am going to make a mold of how I want the rear window to look and then heat bend lexan to shape.. I plan on posting a separate how-to on the forum in case anyone wants to follow suit. I have done something similar for a boat window but its the same application.

Cheers
Brilliant, I am sure the knowledge will get re-used.
Old 11th May 2019, 10:01

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I am going to make a mold of how I want the rear window to look and then heat bend lexan to shape.

Cheers
I know someone who did the same, it was fine until he took it to a car show on a really hot day and the Lexan window sagged in the middle. In the end he replaced it with an Acrylic Perspex one (perspex having a higher melting point than Lexan)
I have an Acrylic Perspex rear window in my 250 GTO and have not had any heat related problems.
The downside of Perspex is that it scratches a lot easier than Lexan.

Neil
Old 26th June 2019, 17:48

GaryR is on a distinguished road

Hi Ace,

Great looking build! I'm following with interest!

Having had a good look at options today on my own SWB build I wondered whether you could please share your thoughts on fuel pipe connection between filler and tank please?
I'm looking at the same position for the filler on mine and wondered if you've come up with a good routing plan?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 27th June 2019, 14:17

Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Hi Ace,

Great looking build! I'm following with interest!

Having had a good look at options today on my own SWB build I wondered whether you could please share your thoughts on fuel pipe connection between filler and tank please?
I'm looking at the same position for the filler on mine and wondered if you've come up with a good routing plan?

Many thanks in advance!
Hey Gary, I appreciate it! Its slow but steady progress.

I can take some pictures showing what I have done, but I found a good route where the filler line is level and does not have any petrol sitting in the line after fill up.

You run a 90 degree bend out of the tank connection and connect that up to a flexible fuel filler hose. I ran that over the arch of the wheel and then put another 90 degree bend that runs into the boot area. Then you have to run a solid 37" piece of 2" pipe across the top of the boot area where you can 90 into the fuel filler cap. That probably doesn't make sense, but I will take some pictures this evening and share them to give you an idea.

Cheers and good luck on the build
Old 27th June 2019, 15:09

Quote:
Hey Gary, I appreciate it! Its slow but steady progress.

I can take some pictures showing what I have done, but I found a good route where the filler line is level and does not have any petrol sitting in the line after fill up.

You run a 90 degree bend out of the tank connection and connect that up to a flexible fuel filler hose. I ran that over the arch of the wheel and then put another 90 degree bend that runs into the boot area. Then you have to run a solid 37" piece of 2" pipe across the top of the boot area where you can 90 into the fuel filler cap. That probably doesn't make sense, but I will take some pictures this evening and share them to give you an idea.

Cheers and good luck on the build
OK, interesting and many thanks! I think I understand you (although pics would be most useful too please if you'd be kind enough when you have a mo!).

So another question; Since making these connections have you tried filling the tank up by any chance or is the project still mid-build?

I'm concerned that the fall to the tank won't be enough and as a result at each fuel fill-up the fuel will back up, causing the fuel-pump to cut out mid-fill. Something I'd like to avoid ultimately!

Many thanks again!
Old 27th June 2019, 16:36

Quote:
OK, interesting and many thanks! I think I understand you (although pics would be most useful too please if you'd be kind enough when you have a mo!).

So another question; Since making these connections have you tried filling the tank up by any chance or is the project still mid-build?

I'm concerned that the fall to the tank won't be enough and as a result at each fuel fill-up the fuel will back up, causing the fuel-pump to cut out mid-fill. Something I'd like to avoid ultimately!

Many thanks again!

I had the same concern so I have put 5 gallons of petrol through the filler as a test (and also to test for leaks prior to bonding on the rear body of the car) with no issues at full flow.
Old 27th June 2019, 21:34

Quote:
I had the same concern so I have put 5 gallons of petrol through the filler as a test (and also to test for leaks prior to bonding on the rear body of the car) with no issues at full flow.
Great - similar thinking obviously! If you are able to post a pic or two when you have a mo it would be really appreciated!

Many thanks and I look forward to other updates on your build too!
Old 27th June 2019, 22:52

Quote:
Great - similar thinking obviously! If you are able to post a pic or two when you have a mo it would be really appreciated!

Many thanks and I look forward to other updates on your build too!
Here you go. Good luck!

Take note of where I have cut out a notch in the body to make sure the pipe can lay as flat as possible.

Plenty of clearance with the body as it comes up to the 90.
Old 28th June 2019, 06:07

Great, thank you, that’s most helpful indeed!