Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 21st June 2006, 12:18
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Default Bodywork....Ahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi...

Having a nightmare at present. Bodywork is being a pig to fit.

Front and scuttle seem ok now but main problem area is the joints between rear clamshell closure at bulkhead and the inner side panels to rear clamshell near the roll cage uprights (if this makes sense)

Only way I can see of getting it to fit is to drill a hole in the top horizontal plane of the inner side panels at the rear bulkhead and inserting a screw to pull down the inner side panel to match the angles on the rear clam. (with suitable packing underneath.)

Anyone else had this problem / solution?

Thanks

Rich
Available from eBay
Old 21st June 2006, 14:41
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Rich,
I feel your pain mate. I had exactly the same issues and more. In the end I got Mark of Marlin to come around and sort it out.

The main thing to bear in mind is that the rear clam doesn't naturally engage into the side panels...you rest the rear clam onto the rear bulkhead lip and then move to the side of the car and press the rear clam "in" and "down" onto the side panels and lock it. Same process on the other side. The rear clam is then effectively being squeezed in slightly on both sides...

This is difficult to explain...but i was expecting all the bodywork to "line up" exactly...but it doesn't...maybe i should do a short video DVD for people of my set-up...

HTH

John
Old 21st June 2006, 16:08
Enthusiast

Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinturbo
The main thing to bear in mind is that the rear clam doesn't naturally engage into the side panels...you rest the rear clam onto the rear bulkhead lip and then move to the side of the car and press the rear clam "in" and "down" onto the side panels and lock it. Same process on the other side. The rear clam is then effectively being squeezed in slightly on both sides...

John
The rear clam on the demo car I've got just sits straight into the locators when you lower it down. It doesn't need to be squeezed in. It's pretty much a perfect fit.
Old 30th June 2006, 05:41
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road
Default Body work

Hi, have not got to the stage you are at yet, I am becoming temeped to get Mark Mathews to do this sort of work for me, have you looked into that and if so how much. To be quite honest I have no interest in fitting the body work, hence my question.
Old 30th June 2006, 06:00
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Marlin provide a body assembly and alignment service for £350 and is on there price list on stage 3.