Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 27th March 2007, 08:37
Enthusiast

Jon@JNRacing.co.uk is on a distinguished road
Default Can a 5EXi-R get any more 5EXi???

As I am getting a little bored at the moment with not having a car to play with, I thought it was time to start playing with the body on paper to get a few ideas of what it could look like. Id be interested in your thoughts, most of the changes in the body are there for an engineering reason. The front is and side is my main focus at the moment but the rear will be changed at some point.

Cheers Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3260075 small.JPG (16.1 KB, 27 views)
Available from eBay
Old 27th March 2007, 10:33
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Jon.

Don't look a lot different to the standard one to me apart from the front splitter. Is it to accomodate wider wheels? If so I like the body "looking the same" and becoming more practical with the wheels.

But as for the front splitter, I'm not keen on. Looks a bit boy racer/maxpowerish and OTT with the big rear front intake. Only my opinion though.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:16
Enthusiast

Its not that much different as we cant really change the look of it without Marlin having a massive go, they will be bad enough when they see this, (they dont now yet),

The front is for the wider wheels and is a bold statement, as its what most people see, the rear will be blended into the current body to make it look as if it was ment to be this way as the wheels are out a long way.

The front is changing due to us fitting a large intercooler for turbo, as well as an intercooler in each side pod, with the air intakes being behind them, so the air will run along the side of the car and into the side pods.

The aim of the change is to make it practical and work within racing, we then try and make it look good at the same time. The difference is ours is its a race car, not a road or show car, so it is done for a reason, not for looks.

The exi is a great little car, to most people even though it has handling problems, we are trying to make it a better car than what it already is and make it appeal to younger people 21+ so to speck, so they can have a standard car that looks good, and performes for a very good price, and is cheap to insure.

There will still be massive changes with the front and rear and the rear wing as well, early 2008, with a custom aero package.

Thanks for the responce atleast people still think it looks the same.

Jon
Old 27th March 2007, 12:41
Enthusiast

Hi Jon.

Yes good point. As it's a race car, won't look out of place the front splitter.

Just a quickie. With such amount of power, will there be a traction issue? Always had an idea of a high power 5exi but in 4 wheel drive.
Old 27th March 2007, 12:59
Enthusiast

There will be no problem with traction even when there is 450/500BHp out the engine as, we have had to work out grip facture etc, and there is a company local that will set our car up who are going to make new suspension arms, front and rear for us to take the power, and give us more clearance with teh 9" rims.

4WD was on our mind , it is possible after the chassis is modified, but mark never said any more on that, I was thinking of the Evo 7/8/9 engine and putting in the back. Would be nice but a lot of money in chassis development needed.
Old 27th March 2007, 14:30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@JNRacing.co.uk View Post

4WD was on our mind , it is possible after the chassis is modified, but mark never said any more on that, I was thinking of the Evo 7/8/9 engine and putting in the back. Would be nice but a lot of money in chassis development needed.
Exactly what I was thinking.

But then your changing the whole design and concept of the car.

5EXI body conversion for the EVO.

I wonder what the max power that has been successfully put through any mid engined sports car (MR2, Lotus etc.)
Old 27th March 2007, 14:43
Enthusiast

NOt sure on mid engine i no for a fact my mate has an Evo 6 and has over 600bhp at the wheels, with a standard turbo, just uprated cams, etc.

it may be a project in a few years, or even a 3 seater 3L V6 4WD, bit like the Aeon GT3 race car, Jag v6 nice car, but 4wd and double the power would be mental.
Old 27th March 2007, 16:08
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Have you all been sniffing epoxy? Lots of mad ideas bouncing around!

Here's a question: is the potential to brake traction in any gear, at any speed, a bad thing?
Old 27th March 2007, 17:26
Enthusiast

I wouldnt like to say on that one, but, it could be a good thing but also a bad.
Old 27th March 2007, 18:45
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi Guys...

I hope the race car goes together OK and when finished is:-

1) Safe to drive.....I don't want to see a green and red splodge against a pitwall
2) Quick enough to win some races and put the 5exi in the headlines.

I'm only a 1600 'road car' (which is great fun)......I'd have thought 500+BHP was too much...I can envisage you having a continuous battle to keep power on the tarmac, car in a straight line & all of the mechanical bits bolted to where they should be without twist, distortion or fracture failure.

...if you manage that, then you've got to be able to stop it in a straight line.

..I'll keep watching this space...

ATB

Rich
Old 27th March 2007, 19:14
Enthusiast

Hi Rich,

I think i may have seen your at donny in sept, if not it was another orange one,

1) is an issue which i can't say too much about at this stage all i can say is there is a lot of development work being done by a local company to do with the geometry of the car so that it will corner at high speeds,

2) it may be once we turbo the engine, and that will be once we have the skills to drive at speeds abouve 150mph,

The 1600 is a good little fun car, and not too expensive to build and run, 500bhp is pushing it a lot 450bhp is about the max the exi chassis will take, well ours will as its a different design to the road ones, 450bhp will be a nice balanced car, once its set up, but thi company that are localare redesigning the front and rear suspension arms and mounts so that they can take the power and so we can get the grip at the rear. once all the suspension work has been carried out and the aero package it wil stick to the track very well and corner.

Rich with regards to stopping, that area has been covered by use already, hence the reason for running 17" wheels 225/45 tyres on the front and Honda type r hubs all round. Watch our website for the latest news on the brakes but there will not be anything posted for a while as its all still under cover, dont want to let our secrets out.

Cheers Jon
Old 28th March 2007, 19:00
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road

Jon,

OK...looks like you have things covered.

and....yes, that was my orange one at Donny last year....first show.

When does your car get its first outing.....it would be good to see it running in anger on a track....probably loads of ideas that would be good to incorporate on the road cars.

Rich
Old 28th March 2007, 19:15
Enthusiast

I like 5exi in orange and am tryin to let marlin paintour race car in the similar shade, onyl saw it breifly as i was in the paddock with mark, all weekend.

When we collected the car at the end of October we were planing on having it finished for Llandow 2007, for launch at the marlin track day, that was still the plan even thoguht we changed to the Honda K20 engine, but after xmas, after working on it for 2weeks soild, it went to Marlin and we are going to look at it tomorrow, thurs, and should have it back jsut before easter. We were hopign to have it finsihed and ready to show off at Donny 2007 but that will more than likly not be the case, due to suspension developments and aeropackages being design, which has but the finish time back to about april 2008, it may see the track september time but it will not be that great.

All i can say is that if someone gave JNRacing 4k it could be finsihed by Donny, but by Llandow 2008, (if marlin do a day next year), it will be 100% complete, and be tanking around the track at race speeds.

We (JNRacing) are trying to develop the our car so that parts can be fitted to the road cars, btu some parts would not be that sensible, i.e. extra low rear suspension arms to get the back of the car 60mm off the ground.

Thesite will be updated once the bits and piece are tested and work,

Jon
Old 28th March 2007, 19:34
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road
Talking

Can I have 4k aswell please??
Old 28th March 2007, 19:55
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Someone local to me built a Honda B-series engine with the output you're considering, and it cost them more than 4k just to do that.......

540bhp/344 lb/ft (at the wheels)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1/DSC00186.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1/DSC00176.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1/DSC00175.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1/DSC00173.jpg
Old 29th March 2007, 06:43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed View Post
Someone local to me built a Honda B-series engine with the output you're considering, and it cost them more than 4k just to do that.......

Geeze look at the size of that jet turbine of a turbo!
Old 29th March 2007, 10:48
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Jon,

Like the image.

The bodywork could do with being wider to accomodate wider tyres (225 profile). I like the air access for the coolant rad and a FMIC. It appears to address one of the aerodynamic issues with the current bodywork. This is the "visibility" of the wheels to the air stream.

I take it the roll cage is similar? Needs consideration for a roof.

i had thoughts on 4WD. EVO engine is ace. I have plans myself on that one...

good luck with this and look forward to it in the flesh!

John
Old 29th March 2007, 16:49
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed View Post

To turbo our engine, it will costaround 8k, closer to 10k by the time its all set up and the chassis has been played with a little, but we are thinking of building up a new chassis, which will be stronger and can take the power, plus we will get the same company that is going to set our car up, to design the suspension arms along with shocks & springs etc.

Thats the next project,but we are hoping to have that started and finsihed on the track by 2012 (I no its a long time but a bucket load of cash needed) at the latest.

I also got told that anything more than around the 500bhp at rear wheels, may course problems in traction, but thats jsut one area that needs to be looked at.

Jon
Old 29th March 2007, 16:53
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinturbo View Post
Hi Jon,

Like the image.

The bodywork could do with being wider to accomodate wider tyres (225 profile). I like the air access for the coolant rad and a FMIC. It appears to address one of the aerodynamic issues with the current bodywork. This is the "visibility" of the wheels to the air stream.

John

Hi John

Glade you like it, the front will be wider as we are running 225 on the front now as we need the grip and under breaking we dont want to be locking the wheels, with regards to aero dynamics the car isn't too good at high speeds, so we are doing what we can at present and once we have the aero package, on our car it should be one nice piece of kit, just all costs money sadly.
Old 29th March 2007, 16:59
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinturbo View Post
Hi Jon,

Like the image.

John

Hi John

Glade you like it, the front will be wider as we are running 225 on the front now as we need the grip and under breaking we dont want to be locking the wheels, with regards to aero dynamics the car isn't too good at high speeds, so we are doing what we can at present and once we have the aero package, on our car it should be one nice piece of kit, just all costs money sadly.

We dont know which development team so to speak are having the car next, so the body may be the next item to do,but on the other hand it may not get changed until, Sept/Oct 07. The roll cage isn't really a problem, as there are a lot more issues that are more important, a roof would be a nice idea, but again its time and money.

I think that if enough people show interest to Marlin in a 4WD Evo power exi, Mark may do one but, it may take a lot, but hemay go that way.

Cheers Jon