When I put the covers on the body shell late on Wednesday night the paint felt very solid to the touch.
But I guess because it remained pretty hot overnight the foam pads I added to my wooden tonneau cover left a mark.
An inspection of the body shell revealed a few areas where I didn't put enough paint on.
Thankfully, there was not a single area with any major paint cracking.
Unfortunately, there were lots of areas with small scale ripples.
Now the idea behind using this truck coat paint was great in theory…
Apply a single thick coat and then flat/cut/polish into a great shine.
I could see this in action on one of the aero humps, where some gentle rubbing with 400 grit gave me this.
Not in strict time order, but when this area was wiped down it was as smooth as it looked.
However, in practise the rest of the car is very lumpy and looks like this after some hard sanding down.
It does get better if you throw more effort at it.
Apart from the areas which go straight through to the undercoat.
So by the time I'd wiped the whole car down it was looking very old indeed.
By the end of the sanding session I'd also managed to wear away a small section of my little finger.
( Obviously rubbing paint dust into the open wound was bound to help the healing process.
End of Part 1…