Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 14th June 2006, 23:56
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation
Default SVA build points

A topic that crops up often in the build threads is what is required to pass SVA for certain parts of a build so thought it a good idea to compile a list of SVA requirements for each area of a build such a lighting, brakes, external fittings etc.

There's quite a few of you guys going through builds at the moment and a few that have gone through SVA so together we should be able to compile a comprehensive list covering a typical kit car build.

This first post will contain the edited list so that it's always on top for reference so if you can just reply on this thread I'll then edit this first post to include your SVA points.

Disclaimer: The points below are included from peoples experience of getting their kit car through SVA. The list is not meant to be exhaustive or to be regarded as gospel as it seems the different SVA testing centres interpret certain aspects of the test differently from station to station.

UPDATE

Madabout now has an SVA Knowledgebase section which has many Q&A style facts about SVA

Check over there, on your left near the top for the 'SVA Knowledgebase' menu.

Will keep adding to it (especially with IVA coming) but if you see any errors or see any areas not covered please let me know in this thread.

Many thanks, John

Madabout-Kitcars.com

Braking System
Brake fluid level warning indicator viewable by driver
Handbrake on warning indicator viewable by driver
Handbrake lever will be subject to radius edge checks if above the hip of the lowest seated occupant

Electrical
All lights need to be 'E' marked or display equivalent standard markings
Rear fog light should be positioned in the centre or the offside (drivers side) if only 1 fitted, minimum of 250mm from the ground.
Indicators should be a minimum of 350mm from ground level.

General construction
VIN number should be between 8 - 17 characters long but can be made up by yourself.
VIN number should be stamped into the chassis (a chassis plate on it's own may not be accepted)
Wheels/tyres should not protrude beyond the bodywork, ie no wheels sticking out further than the wheel arches

Engine
Make sure you have proof of your engines age so the appropriate emmissions test is applied.

Fuel/Exhaust
Exhaust tailpipe should have a rolled radius end if protruding beyond bodywork.
If any part of the exhaust is positioned directly underneath or in very close proximity to the petrol tank then heat shield should be used to deflect heat from the petrol tank.

Last edited by JG; 20th March 2008 at 23:40..
Available from eBay
Old 15th June 2006, 07:06
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi John.

Great idea this thread. Additional on the rear fog light. It has to be min 250mm high.

Cheers

John
Old 17th June 2006, 17:54
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Great thread, one question thats come a few times - do rubber clutch/brake pipes need to be marked in anyway to pass SVA? I've just used some fuel pipe so I'm wondering if thats ok.
Old 30th June 2006, 18:09
Big Cheese

Some more points added today.....we need your input though so please submit your SVA findings.

Cheers, John
Old 1st July 2006, 09:33
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

All you need to now for the SVA is within this document:
http://www.stuartevans.me.uk/sva_manual_draft.pdf
I used this for my sva and had very few problems.
Old 24th March 2007, 22:49
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Is the handbrake on warning light essential ?

Even though my interpretation of the braking regs was that one was not necessary I spent an hour or so putting one in this afternoon just in case.
Old 9th April 2007, 21:25
Enthusiast

madolddog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpabit View Post
Hi John.

Great idea this thread. Additional on the rear fog light. It has to be min 250mm high.

Cheers

John
And if I read the regs correct can be centre mounted as Peugeot 206 etc
Old 10th April 2007, 06:40
Enthusiast

I read somewhere it should be on drivers side (can't remember the reason's why). And when you look at production cars, there usually on this side I've noticed.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:09
Enthusiast

Hi limpabit, I was like you under the impression that if only one foglamp then it should be on the drivers side - hence LHD on the left and RHD on the right. However when I noticed that some cars, the Peugeot 206 for example has the rear fog in the middle so I checked and the law was changed and now you can have two or one and I found the little snippet below on the Cheshire Police Website and reads:-

"Rear fog lights are obligatory on a vehicle first used on or after 01.04.86. They must be red in colour and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort, must not be lit whilst vehicle is parked nor to be used except in seriously reduced visibility.Where two are fitted both must work. Where one is fitted it must be fitted to the centre or the offside of the vehicle. They must be clean and in good working order.The driver must be able to see the lights are on by way of a visual indication (warning light) inside the vehicle".
Old 12th April 2007, 23:41
Enthusiast

Question about the VIN.
If there is very litle of the chassis showing where the VIN could be stamped would it be acceptable to bond a plate (with sikaflex or tiger seal or something similar) to the fibreglass bodywork or maybe engrave the number into the fibreglass ?
Old 25th March 2007, 17:39

mapper is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,
There is no need to have a handbrake warning lamp as such for the sva test, what you do need though is a test facility that the driver can operate from the driving position, to test the low fluid level circuit for the reservoir. This is where the handbrake warning lamp is utilised by wiring it in with the low level circuit. Otherwise use a readily available clearly marked switch on the dash for this function.
HTH
Mark
Old 25th March 2007, 20:05
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapper View Post
Hi folks,
There is no need to have a handbrake warning lamp as such for the sva test, what you do need though is a test facility that the driver can operate from the driving position, to test the low fluid level circuit for the reservoir. This is where the handbrake warning lamp is utilised by wiring it in with the low level circuit. Otherwise use a readily available clearly marked switch on the dash for this function.
HTH
Mark
Hi Guys.

So what Ken has done I don't think will be any good as I assume Ken has not wired into the low fluid level ciruit lamp.
Old 25th March 2007, 21:16

mapper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpabit View Post
Hi Guys.

So what Ken has done I don't think will be any good as I assume Ken has not wired into the low fluid level ciruit lamp.
Perhaps not, without knowing how he has wired it, it's hard to say really.
Mark
Old 25th March 2007, 22:09
Big Cheese

It wouldn't be a difficult task to get it working now though.

At the end of the day, needed or not for SVA it doesn't do any harm having a handbrake 'on' warning light and in a 'production' type car such as the Phantom wouldn't be out of place at all.

John
Old 25th March 2007, 22:48
Enthusiast

Wired in to the low level warning light so that's o.k. then. Reason it took so long was routing the wires as the loom was 99% finished and then puting a 2-wire plug and socket in the circuit because of the way it had to go and anything had to come out when everything was finished. As it turned out I only needed one wire to the handbrake switch as even though the handbrake is mounted on the fibreglass body it had an earth path back along the handbrake cable
Old 18th April 2007, 01:02
Enthusiast

Is there any minimum size for the characters in the VIN?
I have just stamped mine with a 3mm punch set but they don't look very big.
Old 18th April 2007, 23:58
Enthusiast

Spoke to SVA today - no limit to size as long as its legible. Its also o.k. to have a plate machined up and pop riveted on.
Old 29th April 2007, 22:22
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

This guy seems to have had a nightmare of an SVA test.

Clearly with the Speedo broken it was obviously a fail, but they also failed his rear reflectors because of their edge radius!

http://www.struck-out.co.uk/index.ph...id=68&Itemid=9

I guess they could cause an injury, as you reverse into someone!
Unbelievable!
Old 30th April 2007, 03:30
Enthusiast

Hi all. Without feeling a proper twit could some kind soul please enlighten me to all the mentions of radii etc for SVA as the last kit I constructed was 'pre' SVA so haven't a clue what is actually being discussed, plus do all auto manufacturers have to comply to these type of regs or is it just the poor kit car builder? Thanks in advance for opening my mind!
Old 30th April 2007, 08:41
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

The basic rule is anything that can contact some one or something on the outside of the car must have a minimum radius of .25mm - so lights, bolts, bodywork etc. all need a radius on them or something to cover them up.

For the 7 type cars such as the Sportster that means every bolt / nut on the front suspension needs SVA friendly plastic caps on them (cbs sells them).

My reflectors have a hard edge so I'm going to have to sand them down.