Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 30th January 2014, 15:28

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

I had not really thought about it, but you are both so right!

That is the main reason I have laboured so hard on my build to drop my
bum right down very low, so this does not happen to me!!
Old 30th January 2014, 16:28

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

That's a very pretty car Scottie. I think the windscreen is there solely to protect that groovy moustache and accompanying facial fuzz from fly strikes, Daddio.

Or it could be to protect the driver from golf balls being driven at him by irate golfists because he's doing doughnuts on their green.
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:00

Get well soon Mr T. The better weather is coming....................:-)
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:32

PJ GRABOWSKI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post

Your car actually is an improvement of this one, but the designer of your body shell surely must have had this in mind at the time
Correct me if I am wrong guys but my understanding was that although the Sammio has drawn inspiration from many models of cars from the early to middle fifties , Miglia Mikes biggest influence was the Lancia D24 , hence Toweds homage.
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ GRABOWSKI View Post
Correct me if I am wrong guys but my understanding was that although the Sammio has drawn inspiration from many models of cars from the early to middle fifties , Miglia Mikes biggest influence was the Lancia D24 , hence Toweds homage.
Didn't quite work like that PJ. If you go back and read the original Sammio build thread started by Lancelot link (Gary Janes) there's some background reading -

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...splay.php?f=17

Gary had a long track record in fibreglass fabrication in the custom car field, but had always wanted a Porsche 550 Spyder replica (the James Dean one).

Only problem was the 550 kits out there that actually look like the real deal cost an awful lot of money and Gary couldn't/wouldn't stump up the readies (I was in the same boat as my dream car was the Porsche 718 RSK, which I also couldn't justify the £15k+ outlay for).

His solution was to buy a 1950's Nikkri body shell he saw advertised on ebay and set about it with a circular saw, remodelling it both to look a bit more like the 550 and to fit an old Herald chassis he happened to have laying about the workshop.

He sold that project on partially finished but took moulds from the first body so he could make himself another. When the first car was finished the new owner drove it to Le Mans then sold it on ebay, putting a link to Gary's business, Bay Area Rods, on the listing.

This led to a flood of enquiries from people wanting to know if he could make them a body, and is how the Sammio business began. Although designed to fit a Herald chassis, Gary started to get enquiries about using the Vitesse 6 cylinder as a donor, but the longer motor wouldn't fit under the 550 style nose. A redesigned bonnet, taking inspiration from the nose of the Lancia D24 Spyder, was then developed to allow the bigger engine to fit (albeit with some further modification), which is how the car ended up looking like it did.

I'm not sure how many of the 'German' front ends were produced, but the 'Italian' version really made sales take off with well over a hundred sold.

Although a runaway success in terms of a kit car business, Gary seems to have got (characteristic?) wanderlust and sold the business to Andy's P57 and P85. Mike then set up his own, rival business, selling a product so, ahem, radically different from the Sammio that you couldn't see the lineage, apparently.

Mike (Miglia) worked for Gary when he owned the Sammio business and the way I saw their working relationship was that Gary provided the brains/finance/ideas and Mike pitched in with the technical skill to bring Gary's ideas to life, and swept up potential customers (bores with no intention to buy ususally) that Gary had lost patience with and walked away from at kit car shows (check out the glazed expression).

If anyone has anything to add/change to the above history please feel free to put in your two new pence worth as it's just my understanding of the course of events.
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:40

Very interesting Mr T.

Unless I have it wrong , the Porche RSK font end
was lost to the " Cobra style" front end in order to accommodate the straight 6 Triumph engine?
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
Very interesting Mr T.

Unless I have it wrong , the Porche RSK font end
was lost to the " Cobra style" front end in order to accommodate the straight 6 Triumph engine?
Almost Scottie, in fact it was the 550 style front end that got replaced to fit the straight six -

I've never been much of a fan of the 550 front end myself, always preferring the swoopier lines of the RSK 718 or the upturned bathtub looks of the 356 -

Oh, and this is something I've wanted to do myself for a while, park up next to a current Porsche Boxster for a comparison shot. This one is an original 550 (on the right), which is roughly the same size as a Sammio, parked next to the lowered, lightened Boxster Speedster special edition -

And that's the Boxster after it's been on a diet...
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:54

fantastic pictures Mr T. That last one says it all.............
Old 3rd February 2014, 09:52

Thankyou Towed Buddy for the correction.
Maybe I should change my username to Schmuck.
Thats a real kick in the head. I feel pretty upset now that I have been misled.

I based my comments on here and other postings around the communications I received from direct email activity with Mike at Miglia. The very first line of the very first email was ;
''Hi bless them Ribble boys i designed all the kits they sell , and my kit is a different beast next to theres.''

The second email I received said;
''Hi Peter, i designed the car, but i was working for a guy that wanted to produce the kit''

You can see how I got my misunderstanding. Not a good start to things.
I don't want to make a big deal out of this but just a bit displeased that I have been made to look a bit of a fool on here
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:00

froggyman is on a distinguished road

I have been made to look a bit of a fool on here.

You have not been made to look a fool at all as you have just used the information given to you, some of which is incorrect. Unless you have followed these cars from early on in their life you wouldn't know.

P.S. Mister Towed is the Sammio Historian.

Last edited by froggyman; 3rd February 2014 at 10:04..
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:14

Mr Towed is the forum Wikipedia, and not to be taken lightly! :-)
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:16

Hey PJ. I had no intention to make you feel or look foolish. My only intention was to document what I believe the course of events was leading to the cars looking the way they do.

As for Mike designing the original Sammio shape I don't know who did what to the original Nikkri bodyshell, but I do know that Gary Janes owned the company and it was him, on his own, that was covered in filler dust when I visited the 'factory' to collect my kit. It was also his company to sell, including all the intellectual property rights, which are now owned by Andy P57. I believe Mike worked for Gary on a freelance basis rather than as an employee, effectively selling any ideas/design input to Gary. If Ferrari pay Pininfarina to design a Ferrari, who owns the resultant shape?

I didn't meet Mike until half way through my build when I turned up at a kit car show to get some money back after a tonneau I'd paid for never arrived. Mike struck me as a nice chap who knew his stuff and gave me loads of useful advice about paint prep.

That was about the time that Gary appeared to have overstretched himself by diversifying into the Scimitar based G46 and Beetle based 550 Spyder, and, by several accounts, the customer focus side of the business started to slip.

As for Mike setting up in competition to Ribble, that appeared to be a rather ungentlemanly, if not necessarily illegal act, but I believe an agreement was made behind closed doors for Mike to pay Andy a percentage of his sales. Not sure how that's working out in reality for either side.

Anyway, I hope you accept my apology, at least you've now had an independent view of what occurred rather than the full, one side of the story...
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:32

Thank you Buddy. Please no more to be said on the matter.
Lets move on.
I know I have.
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:17

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

PJ - if you start building a Ribble, feeling foolish becomes a way of life. Just ask me about dropping a nut down into my sump, or having the chassis fall on me whilst angle grinding. Now that, my friend, is feeling foolish.

You believed what you were told - there's nothing foolish about that. It's called trust. Some value it, and some don't.

Mr T - your potted history is perfect.
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:27

Thanks for the kind words guys. A lot of what I know comes from having read the article in the April 2011 edition of Complete Kit Car about ten thousand times before stumping up the readies for a kit -

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/Issue/april2011.html

Still well worth getting hold of a copy imho.
Old 8th February 2014, 05:30

mas123mas is on a distinguished road

T, thought you might like this.

Old 8th February 2014, 22:13

Very nice indeed, thanks for posting that. Wonderful to see your actual D24 taking centre stage on the podium. Where and when was that exposition?
Old 8th February 2014, 22:23

Little Red Car is on a distinguished road

In the picture of '66' above, which person is Gary Janes? I met him some years ago when I made enquiries about having a Beetle chopped, but can't recall. Thanks.
Old 8th February 2014, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red Car View Post
In the picture of '66' above, which person is Gary Janes? I met him some years ago when I made enquiries about having a Beetle chopped, but can't recall. Thanks.
Gary's the chap in the brown shirt holding a polystyrene cup in his hand.
Old 8th February 2014, 22:31

Little Red Car is on a distinguished road

Thank you Mister Towed, thought so. I now realise I met him again late last year though I didn't make the connection at the time. He's still got lots of ideas for interesting projects.

Last edited by Little Red Car; 8th February 2014 at 22:40..